don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    I have no answer for that.

2. bookman the stinky

bookman the stinky

literal trash Member
    the dong
    find motivation
    Am I the only one hoping for some form of Egg Garden Zone in the game?

3. Felik

Felik

Only if for the curiosity's sake.
    Whilst the level idea was kinda interesting, it was poorly fleshed out and the level was generic and uninspired.
    Music was good but, again, not exactly Tax's merit.

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Considering what we've seen of Studiopolis, Mirage Saloon and Green Fucking Hill of all things, I don't think you have anything to worry about. If the level theme was interesting, that should be enough, surely? Everything else would be completely reworked and redesigned. Even Mirage Saloon was reworked extensively from Desert Dazzle.

5. Felik

Felik

Well yeah, that's the point.
    Asking about Egg Garden is basically the same as asking "Do you want to see (insert random zone name here) remade?".
    I guess the answer is "yeah, why not?" since if it's dull, it is going to get reworked into something completely new.

7. It's just so fluid and smooth. I love it. Compliments again to the team.

[​IMG]

This sprite is great.

8. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    The internal foreground chunks have art that doesn't match up, the pipes just end.

Other than that, holy flurking schnit. I love it.

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Yep. It's a good Sonic game alright.

10. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    A few new screenshots too:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    Plain awesome. I was craving news of this game.

Someone had said a while back this is also present in the original game. It is now more evident due to the expanded viewport.

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

While it could be improved a bit and I think someone else posted a nice example of how to improve it, I still don't notice it. I'm aware that the the tiling isn't perfect, but everything blends in absolutely fine unless I'm specifically looking for the problems. I'd still not have noticed them in SK or Mania had they not been pointed out before.

13. Looks like you guys were right. That whole minute of footage is very clearly based on the original Act 1 layout, which is disappointing to me. Lots of minor changes and new gameplay mechanics, but that's all. I was happy with that for Green Hill since the layout is so iconic, but Flying Battery seemed like the perfect zone to try entirely new layouts. Also, is it me, or does that capsule look really out of place?

14. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    YES LAWD YES! Looks great and sounds great! Tee Lopes is going to tear it up with that Act 2 music! If you thought Green Hill Act 2 was good, look out!

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Argh the foreground! Everything else looks so good and it sticks out like a sore thumb to me. Like the sprites and the background work great together, but then you can tell the foreground wasn't edited much. Least they fixed the palette errors from the reveal trailer, but still, it looks fan-gameish. That's probably why the capsule looks so out of place.

That being said it still looks very fun and I'm looking forward to playing it. It's hardly a deal breaker.

EDIT:
    [​IMG]

Those parts in the red circles bug me so much. Those should be transparent

16. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    The footage shows a path that only knuckles (or tails) could traverse. Seems confirmation of player specific paths. Awesome, because flying battery zone is the only sonic 3/knuckles zone without knuckles-only paths.

17. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Game of the forever.

18. It was like that in S&K too.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I know, but they still bug me. Same with the strange pipe issues. But when they remake everything else but ignore that I get confused, since I know they have the ability to make something better yet they don't... at least not yet, maybe it'll change. This isn't like Sonic Forces where I don't know if they can do better, here I know as the evidence is all around. The sprites, the backgrounds, the enemies, any foreground object, all updated and looking spiffy. But then you get FBZ with it's tiling errors and all, now more noticeable due to the great field of view. And thinking of all the other levels in the Classic Sonic series, this is literally the only one that I can think of that has this issue, which means this problem will be isolated, but it's still unfortunate.

GHZ has similar things going on with it's foreground too, but it's less noticeable due to the art style (mostly some weird tufts of grass and oddly placed flowers).

20. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I'm still hoping we get to see Sonic-only paths and how they could be accomplished. Maybe some breakable ground that can only be destroyed by landing on it with a drop dash? Or hills so steep and tall that only the only way to climb them is to repeatedly drop dash? I dunno. Tails and Knuckles are basically Sonic plus flight and Sonic plus gliding/climbing/strength, so it's rather difficult to come up with ways that he can access areas that they can't. The elemental shields don't really add much in the way of maneuverability that the Tails and Knuckles don't already have, and they're situational. It just always felt to me like Sonic was getting the short end of the stick.