don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Hold the fort. Who do we have here now?

Tyson Hesse is that you?

2. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I never really had much of an interest in the Archie stuff until Mega Drive showed up
    Needless to say, if that's really you Hesse please don't be pulling our legs :ohdear:

3. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    So we really will see Mega Drive 3? In web comic format? Or a limited print? I'd love to have a copy in physical form.

4. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    End of an era. I just bought some Archie Comics a couple of days ago too. Shame.

5. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Just as it was getting good. Aside from Mega Drive 3, I would totally have bought the paperback of the Champions arc pretty much immediately. If someone picks it up again, I would actually like them to pick the comic up basically right where it is. It's got enough extra stuff to be unique without being so far removed from the games that it turned me away. Tyson, if that's you, thanks for the fun books, and keep on keeping on with Diesel. I dig it.

6. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    In case people reading this thread aren't sure: yes, Boxer Hockey is the real Tyson Hesse and not someone pretending to be him.

7. SA2

SA2

Sonic's dead; fly down to his corpse Member
    I'm not sure how to feel about what he's said. It's still pretty vague. It's not pulling me one way or the other...

8. Syn

Syn

Good to see you here Boxer Hockey. Hopefully we will see Megadrive Overdrive one day. My concern right now though is if IDW/Boom!/or whoever does pick up the license, will they continue where the books stopped or will they reboot it from the ground up (My brain is leaning towards another reboot) and if so would they still used the characters and stories currently in the books?

9. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Well, guess my hopes are up now :P

You've done a fantastic job on the series, man. Your work has been outstanding!

10. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

Never is just a long time, is all I'm saying. I'm not trying to get anyone's hopes up, because if it doesn't come out of Archie then it's not super likely that it would happen any time soon. But it sure would be nice. I'm just holding out hope still.
    I don't know what's goin on at Archie anymore either, so don't even bother asking lol sorry

For clarification, that wasn't me being vague and hinting like I know something. I'm just hoping along with the rest of you that this works out somehow.

11. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Can you at least tell us if the issue was going to be super dope? Or is that not allowed with NDAs? Not sure how that stuff works with Archie. I was really hyped for it.

12. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    End of an era indeed, this may be the end of Rotor, Sally, Bunnie, Antione, Dulcy, the King, Naugus, Snively, and any other SATAM exclusive character, not to mention comic characters, who survived because of this series.

If a new licensor picks up the comic, there's no guarantee they'd ever be used again. Of course, there's no specific reason to say they wouldn't be used either... still seems less likely though given that Sega would likely want more japanese game-centric stories. If they even sell the comic license again at all.

Shame it never got a true finale, much like SATAM and STC. But again, I'm sure fans will come up with something someday, likely based on whatever the key writers like Ian are willing to tell us.

13. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

I mean I thought it was pretty good, fwiw. Also, to break NDA I would have to disclose information not readily available to public, of which I have literally none. Everything I knew about anything has been said by Archie at this point, which is the only reason I'm comfortable posting at all. I hope no one is hoping to get any info out of me because there's nothing for me to tell ¯\_(?)_/¯ . I just came to Retro because I see people needing help translating Japanese sometimes and thought I could help.

14. Volphied

Volphied

「限界の向こうは無限大」 Member
    The chances that a new publisher would continue the story from where Archie left it are slim to none. :(

I hope that someday later someone will leak the cancelled books. No matter how unfinished they are. Just so that we can see what we lost.

15. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Definitely the end of an era. I grew up with the SatAM/Archie stuff so the idea of the series never getting a proper conclusion and/or the SatAM/Archie-only characters never being seen again is a bit depressing. :( Maybe something will work out and either Archie will be allowed to finish it or someone else can.

...does this mean my old comics will be worth more now? >.>

16. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I hope the shameless self-promotion is overshadowed by the relevance of the vid I put together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jll2dnONwAw

The Archie comics were my gateway into the series and for years it was the primary lens through which I viewed the series. I loved the work Flynn did to rejuvenate the series, but frankly I fell off one final time when the Worlds Unite arc completely wrecked the pacing of the story far too soon after the reboot from the LAST Megaman crossover. It's a shame that Archie's mandates caused Flynn so much grief.

That said, I'm more optimistic that the license will get a new, fairer shake with another publisher, and finally shaking off the last legal shackles binding it to Penders and Fulop's shenanigans.

Sorry about that, I meant it more as a joke; I figured your statement was wishful thinking :) it's a shame that we won't get to see you and Flynn's passion and hard work on display in Overdrive. But again, thank you both for a genuinely outstanding run. The series went out on a high note thanks to your and the other contributors' excellent efforts :)

17. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

My first comic ever, finally gone. What a weird feeling to have.

I hope the comics continue somewhere else down the line, someone who actually appreciates Sonic and doesn't have to deal with Penders huffing and puffing over their shoulders.

18. With the Bumbleking forum gone and the Archie Sonic comics dead, I wonder if Ian Flynn's Lost Hedgehog Tales is effectively DoA as well.

19. Tylinos

Tylinos

Ian has repeated as recently as yesterday that the wait for LHT is simply down to the fact that the legal issues with the book are still ongoing.

On a slightly related note, he also mentioned yesterday that one thing that was supposed to be mentioned in LHT is that Amy was missing from the XYL stories because that version of her had been off travelling with the Time Stones. I'm pretty sure he hadn't mentioned that before, at least.

20. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Did she have a companion called Tekno going with her as well? :v:

Man, Flynn really loved Sonic the Comic...