don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    second? who was the first?

2. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I think it used to be G.I. Joe, but actually I googled it really quickly and it looks like Sonic actually took the record? My bad. Probably need to corroborate that, but yeah.

3. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    First, what? The comic has had only 1 reboot ever.

Second, the reboot was just that, a fresh start without any baggage hell it would've had a "#001" rebranding too if it wasn't for the fucking last editor and his fixation on the comic number count.

4. Linkabel

Linkabel

He didn't say it had more than one more reboot, he said to get rid of the old baggage that might force another reboot or cancellation due to legal problems.

And to say that after the reboot there was no baggage it's not seeing the obvious. Pretty much every SatAM element and old elements from the old comic was baggage.

While one of the faults of the World Adventure arc was its length, another one was having to set up the old SatAM elements along with the new ones.The reboot felt fresh for a bit, but it quickly got stale.

I've been reading the comic since the beginning so I know of its SatAM roots. But it was apparent during the Adventure arc way back in '99 that those elements were redundant.

So put me in the group that really wants a brand new start if another publisher gets the comic license.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Even in the reboot the SatAM characters felt kinda useless. Like they were just there for either plot devices or to narrate. Then they just went on and made new characters anyway. I feel like the new universe didn't make sense for the Freedom Fighters, even with the redesigns. Maybe the newer issues that were supposed to come that focused on them would have helped settle them in the new universe a bit, but for the time being idk.

A shame though, I will miss Snively and I loved his inclusion in the Genesis of a Hero arc. I particularly liked how in this universe, Snively was piloting the Eggrobo that fought against Knuckles in Sonic 3K. Was that particular eggrobo ever really explained? It's just one random robot fucking around with Knuckles that was for some reason granted access to the Eggmobile.

6. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

End the story and then I'm with you. But a 290-issue run without anything resembling a decent ending is horrible.

Sonic was my first comic, I followed it for years and years before taking a long hiatus. When Flynn's editorially mandated reboot to get rid of the Penders characters happened I used that as a jumping on point. I like this comic baggage and all. I want it to have an ending, a proper one, before I will contemplate a reboot comic. That is all.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It kinda had an ending. The ending of the Unleashed arc was pretty much the ending. Like, 90% of the story was wrapped up, everything was at peace, and the only things we didn't know were what was Snively up to and what was Eclipse up to. Other than that, Robotnik lost, the planet came back together, and the big bad was gone. Then we had an irrelevant Chaotix arc and 3/4 issues of revisiting the classic games.

Despite the cancellation being abrupt, and despite not publishing 1 issue of the Classic story or the other issue of Mega Drive, I'd say this is the closest this comic has ever had to a proper conclusion. But it would be rather unfortunate to have the world that was built over all those issues be tossed.

I think that was the major problem with the Unleashed arc too. It was so drawn out because he had to do so much world building, but it couldn't be done in an organic way like Megaman starting from Megaman 1. In this universe it all happened and they were in the middle of it. What's the world though, who's that, why are they here, etc etc. All the stuff that was already established had to be reexplained. Honestly if there was a new comic, it'd almost make more sense to start over completely and just go back to Sonic 1. Build the world as it comes through the story naturally, don't just shove the world down people's throats while 8 other things are happening. There were so many flashbacks.

Like I would have loved to see the story of Sonic 2 GG and Tails Sky Patrol play out. Sonic fights the AoSTH badniks in Sonic 2 and has to deal with Breezie, then once he rescues Tails Naugus shows up and freezes Sonic and Robotnik which then rolls into Tails having to save them in Tails SkyPatrol. That was great. Too bad it was only told via flashbacks.

8. Linkabel

Linkabel

Yep, that's the closest the comic might get to an ending. I hardly doubt that if they do decide to publish up to 300 and get a final ending that it's going to be Sonic finally beating Eggman for real and marrying Sally.

9. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Anyone got any word on what's happening with the comic?

10. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    from what someone was told via a customer service rep, we (as in subscribers) should be getting emails about the statuses of the comics by the end of April.

11. RetrospectGreg

RetrospectGreg

So the comic might really be ending?

12. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    The status is still in limbo but with the evidence stacked against the comic, its not looking good.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So it's May. Did anyone ever get an email about what was going on with the comic?

14. Tylinos

Tylinos

Nope. Going to hazard a guess that the rep who said we'd find out in April was simply misinformed.

Someone else over at Stadium mentioned a friend getting the following response, though:

Not super-new, but at least it's something.

15. Syn

Syn

Yeah but it puts this whole situation back at square one. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if fans that live in NY go to Archie HQ with pitchforks and torches like an angry mob.

16. Zeether

Zeether

From doctorben on the Archie Sonic forums.

Fuck Archie and fuck Riverdale. I hope IDW picks it up.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well, that's disappointing. We'll never get to see Megadrive 3 or their post reboot Sonic 3 & Knuckles adaption, but at least other than that the series was wrapped up for the most part.

And hey, now I can stop following Archie comic's twitter account :specialed: I was getting sick of seeing their riverdale memes anyway.

18. StarProdigy X

StarProdigy X

So it is true? The comic series by Archie really is cancelled?

19. Zeether

Zeether

At this point the best solution is asking IDW/Boom to pick it up. Mostly IDW though.

20. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

hey now, never say never