don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

2. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    What classic Sonic music was:

What they seem to think it was:

3. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Omg, that was so enjoyable, and extra funny because it's SO TRUE!

People wondering why I'm laughing so hard...

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

When you figure it out, tell me. I'm in the exact same boat right now.

5. :v: :v: :v:

Oh man, completely forgot about Paula - thanks for reminding me of the massive crush I had on her when I was a kid, had a photo of her on my wall :v:

Slightly off topic but you reminded me of this, which thinking about it sounds CD USA

CD JP/EU

6. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    lmao

7. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Well, now I know where the organ used here is from xD

8. Deef

Deef

The great thing I've noticed about Forces is that it's like the good old days of bitchin'. The antics that really hit their peak with Sonic 4; they were very fun in their own right.

Sonic Forces has those same lolz starting to grow; the obvious nopes, the game's direction getting more questionable every release. Fun. If the franchise always had one confident title and one comic relief title in the works, like we do now, I'd be happy. :D

9. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I'd say it's better than the "good ol' days", since it's not flavored with that putrid dash of "this is the best they can be bothered to give us". Now it's legitimately fun to watch! :v:

10. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
  11. RikohZX

RikohZX

I had the feeling that it was using samples from the Genesis rather than simply improvising for the main synth, it's really the fact that the style doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard on a Genesis game given Ohtani's style - it's more like a Runners or Lost World theme than anything else, though I guess it also makes sense given that it's Sonic speeding towards a whole new adventure and all. I don't even mind the theme, it's mostly just a little too fast for the actual level action and I've grown to resent falling back on Sonic 1 drums for nostalgia's sake.

It's at least the kind of theme I'm looking forward to remixes on.

12. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

Honestly what this track makes me think of is Mario rather than Sonic. Maybe that's why this track feels so off to us, it continues the trend since Unleashed into more Mario-style music rather than what most of us would think of as the "Sonic sound". I thought we had hit peak Mario imitation in Lost World but I guess I'm wrong.

13. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    How do you get Mario from this? :psyduck:

14. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I just had a thought, and it pertains also to Mania:

Back when Generations was made, it showed a good way for Sonic games to be made: two playstyles, each to satisfy the two major halves of the fandom: classic gameplay fans, and modern gameplay fans. It makes sense that Forces would try to emulate that reasonably-successful strategy. I could also see that being the norm going forward.

Mania could simply be ST giving the Mania team a chance to decisively prove themselves, prior to just handing over the Classic Sonic gameplay development for their "Generations/Forces and onward" games to them.

I'd be fine with that, myself. If they're making two games (which Boost and Classic certainly are) in one, you might as well have two teams. And if you're going to have a team develop the Classic game, nobody's more qualified than the Mania team (at least, so long as Sonic Team/Dimps are their sole competition). Forces!Classic and Mania have no reason to simultaneously exist; Forces!Classic is entirely redundant by this point, even if Mania started development later.

15. AutiMatic

AutiMatic

#SaturdayAMKillSession
    I really do hope the Mania team gets a whack at a 3D Classic Sonic game. This way, we'd get full length Classic gameplay styled games, instead of a shoehorned experience, that takes development away from an otherwise full length 3D Modern styled game, since we haven't had that yet. (Colors and LW don't count).

16. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

The compositions in Lost World and in the new Green Hill video feel Mario-esque to me. I can't really explain it but it's in the style of the compositions.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I thought Unleashed, Colors, and Generations had excellent Sonic music. I didn't get Mario from them at all.

18. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    God please no.

The reason Classic and Modern Sonic were in Generations together was because that was the game's whole gimmick. It was an anniversary game.

I'm already fucking pissed that they brought Classic back in Forces, because it makes no fucking sense and just shows that Sonic Team has no confidence in letting Modern Sonic stand on its own. Have Classic Sonic in separate games if you must, but Sonic Team needs to not fragment their games and hold them back in a misguided attempt to appeal to a fanbase they don't understand.

19. Sean Evans

Sean Evans

Professional Dork Member
    Earth
    Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia
    I had that thought too, and since they were kind of already going that direction what with Sonic 4, there's a good chance that's been there plan. I don't see Sega going through the trouble of getting a whole new team of devs just to do something Sonic Team or Dimps could do (less successfully perhaps). I'd love for the series to take that direction, but remember that Modern Sonic isn't really all that easy to develop content for. Even with Colors where over half the game was 2D and relied heavily on the wisp, it was about 5 to 6 hour long on a normal playthrough. A Modern Sonic only game would most likely be scarce for content, or have lots of tacked on additional things to pad the game out like in Lost World. Classic Sonic is a safe enough secondary option to help keep the game's length reasonable. But that's probably why they're also bringing in this third gameplay style. As a test of sorts.

20. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Oh, I'd much rather they be in separate games as well. But Forces shows a continuation of the "everybody can be happy with one product!" optimism. And if they're going to continue to do so, unnecessarily, then I'd rather the Mania team handle the Classic half from here on out.