don't click here

Sonic Time Twisted Released ~ 1.1.2 Released ... unofficial Xbox, PS4 Releases... Now on Switch!

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Overbound, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Ok, I finished it (only got the Time Stones though). There wasn't anything I felt was particularly wrong or bad, except a couple of pointers -

- Some sound effects, particularly destruction sounds, are much louder than I feel they need to be.
    - I know this is personal taste, but I despise "running" bosses, like the first Metal Sonic fight. It's a pain in the arse.
    - The Planetary Panic boss...is it even possible to avoid the first laser?
    - Could you make the cutscene skippable when you are using a save?
    - Some hit boxes seem erratic. The laser from the large Scorpion Tank in PPZ seems to be quite big, and I'm sure I got hit by things in the special stages when I feel I missed them.

Other than that, it's a really good game. The soundtrack is stellar (I love the 1-up jingle!), the art work is nice, and the level design is superb. Well done!

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Another bug. In Tidal Tubes Act 2 future, if you break the end capsule with too much momentum you can run over the edge into the water. Your character will then try to run back to the center so they can do their end of act pose but won't be able to, essentially soft locking the game.

3. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
    I've never lost a ring on that battle, so I can confirm it's possible. On the topic of that boss, I feel it may be a bit long without anything to change it up at all. It could benefit immensely from a mid battle pattern switcheroo.

I second this, though from what I can tell, for the special stage, it's because the collisions are based off of your shadow rather than your character, making it feel really off. Trimming the shadow and thus the hit-box could help with this.
    Another thing, I personally find the special stages way too easy and they can be used as extra life farms. While it may suck for those who end up messing up, perhaps making it so the items you collect only take affect once the special stage is complete? Then again, that might have been intentional on the developers part?

4. I don't mind the possible life farming. If I screw up, I'm going to have to pay a life to retry it. As long as I can score at least one life per attempt, I can get the Chaos Emerald/Time Stone through attrition more than anything. Gives me an actual chance to get the good ending for once.

5. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Just wanted to add my thoughts.

I've been playing Time Twisted a lot (I've uploaded good ending playthroughs for Sonic, Tails & Knuckles.

First off, the physics feel really good. The characters seem to control absolutely fine-just like in the classics. The only weird thing I've noticed is that very occasionally Knuckles will get stuck to a wall (now where have I seen this before :v:) and it can take a few attempts to get him to come off it. I like the inclusion of the super peel-out and Knuckles' Chaotix sprite and Tails sprite looks good.

Overall has a nice OST. Viridian Valley past track is one of my favorites. The zones mostly look pretty visually, with perhaps the exception of Raging Ruins brown color in the future version which looks horrible. The background of Planetary Panic looks really good as does the background effects when your in space with the final Super Sonic boss.

I like the story. DO NOT HARM THE CREATOR :) The cut-scenes are non-intrusive/short and sweet as are Metal Sonic's brief appearances. Although the mini-boss fight at the and of Attraction Attack act1 (after the cutscene showcasing Metal Sonic's return) is annoying.

The level design is good in parts. I like how there's lots of item boxes hidden in walls, not just special stage rings. Time Twisted rewards exploration which I like. It does become a bit frustrating in some areas when level design is re-used which makes it hard to remember the location of some of the special stage rings. Also, the enemy placement can be unfair at times, especially in Plantery Panic. I love how easy it is to time-travel. My favorite zones are probably Attraction Attack, Viridian Valley and Plantery Panic.

The special stages are more or less easy but the controls aren't ideal. When I was using my Xbox1 controller it was a nightmare trying to beat any of them, but then I switched to my X360 controller and it's much easier. Some of the later special stages at times experience a big slow-down in frame rate which often causes me to mis-time my jump and full to my death. Also, the hit-box detection for some of the enemies is kind of bad. For this reason I'm grateful that (I think) each special stage has an extra-life and there are plenty of rings to collect to prevent your life total being decimated too much if you restart. But overall I like the design of the special stages and there are more than enough special stages rings to find inn order to collect all time stones and chaos emeralds in a single playthrough (I think it's two in each act in each time period, apart from the first act of Attraction Attack zone which has more.

I'm a fan of the boss fights. Creative and they're not unfair bullshit which is often the case in fan-games. You can master these boss fights (beat them without getting hit), although some are more challenging with Knuckles, especially the boss fight at the end of Drifting Dyanmo where Knuckles has to jump on four platforms before he can even close enough to the boss in order to attack it. Fortunately if you time your attacks correctly and glide after attacking the boss you can land on the same highest moving platform which allows you beat the boss more quickly. Gotta give props for the boss at the end of Planetary Panic. It's an unusual fight but it's really cool. You could say it's a little on the nose :v: It's easy enough to beat if you're Super Sonic or have a bubble/lightning shield or with Tails because of his flight, but it's much harder with Knuckles (almost unfair at times) due to his smaller jump height.

The Super Sonic boss fight in space is quite easy. Maybe ten hits is a bit much, goes on a bit too long perhaps? The ending cutscene is nice. It's also fun to playthrough if you don't go for the emeralds or time stones.

Overall, Time Twisted is a nice game. Has good challenging gameplay and is mostly fun to play through. I recommend it.

6. Another minor suggestion if you decide to make any big changes instead of just bug-fixes on an update. The Metal Sonic fight where he dashes at you while you're on moving platforms. Would you agree with replacing the bottomless pit with a floor of spikes under the platforms? It wouldn't look bad, with the intro cutscene showing the ground breaking away to reveal them, and it would be a bit more fair than a single mistake meaning death.

Also, can I make a really small request? Can I see the spritesheet for Sonic's not-quite-running animation? (I don't want all of the sprites, just the one animation) I've been trying for a bit to make a Classic Sonic that doesn't use the wheel-like animation and actually looks like running, much like Modern Sonic. I'd really like to see how you drew your version, to try and make something similar for myself.

7. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    Thank you for the nice review OcelotBot. Somethings worth mentioning. For the Metallix Boss fight you can actually knock the UFOs into Metallix head and it will cause damage. Which makes the fight easier.

Also I released a new version last night onto game jolt. It reduces the turn speed a bit the special stages. Not much but it might help those with Xbox One controllers as it seems like the Dpad plays a big part in what people think of the control. I tested it on a 360 pad myself. I also sped up the pace of the non-good ending final boss a little and fixed a few other bugs. There are still more bugs out there though and I will address them as I find time.

I intend to continue supporting the game and making bug fixes as what not. But outside of Super Tails and Knuckles, I probably won't add anything else. I'd like to finish that city level I never got to add to the game. The problem about Game Maker Studio is it loads the entire game at the start and there is no way to prevent it. This makes Game Maker Studio completely unfit for large games and is largely the reason why I had to spend nearly 2 months compressing level tiles. If I added much more to the game it would just bloat even more and fewer PCs could run the game.

Here are most of the character sprite sheets. If you use Sonic you need to give Credit to Gardow for the design of the Sonic sprite. The rest of them are just edits I made so no problem there.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/pxqh5jzkidjfib7/SuperSonicSpriteSheet.png?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/hmuc2zhqc4yagtw/TailsSpriteSheet.png?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/zusa1mxfl97kici/KnucklesSpriteSheet.png?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/fb9eb59ym3vc2a0/SonicSpriteSheet.png?dl=0

I will delete them in a few days so save them soon!

8. Violet

Violet

Sweden
    Flicky Engine, Overdrive
    Um, but it is possible to make the game not load Tiles (BG's, Textures), Sprites and Sounds at the start of the game. And load them when you want.
    Even if you don't do that, you can always erase loaded resources in game to free memory and stuff.

9. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    There is an option the load graphics from files if that's what you are talking about but that presents its own issue. Though its been a few years since I attempted that so I don't recall all the details. Perhaps you know something I don't?

10. Violet

Violet

Sweden
    Flicky Engine, Overdrive
    Nah, that's not what i mean. (External stuff without any kind of dll to protect your files ain't good)
    Studio allows you to make texture/audio groups that you can load and delete whenever you want, they don't load until you call the group.

There are also a few functions that do this stuff, but i forgot what they're called, I'm gonna check that later.

Also, stages should run fine even with a lot of resources as long as you have some sort of "Deactivater" that removes instances and other stuff outside the view and only activate them when they're inside the view.

I tested this in my engine (Flicky), spawning almost 5 k instances with animations and motion. No single frame drop even on my friends potato.

If you want, DM me.
    I can try to help optimize the game a bit more.

11. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    I put everything in texture groups but that doesn't prevent it from loading the entire game into vram when the game starts.

12. Metalsonicmk72

Metalsonicmk72

Are the save files stored in the exe or elsewhere? I don't see an obvious external save file in the folder I put the game in, so I'm concerned of losing my progress if I download the new exe.

13. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    If I were you I listen to him, he's a pro at this and knows what he's doing. He's a mad man I tell you what with his fancy coding and what not.
    Hell he could make your game run better than before. OverBound, please, I highly recommend it man. I'm pretty sure people will be more please with better performance on that game. :)

14. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Metalsonicmk72 the save file is in your %localappdata%\SonicTimeTwisted but replacing the game won't effect your save file.

15. *Looking at the sprites* Must say, these are really nice. Have you and Gardow ever thought of uploading them to The Spriters Resource?
    Just asking because I reckon the site needs more custom Sonic sprites. Completed customs, that is.
    And I hope you don't mind, but those Knuckles sprites would really help me with this project I've had on hold for so long. (Knuckles for STH 1 and 2)
    Both of you will be credited, off course. :)

16. REPO Man

REPO Man

So in love with this!

Really wish games like this could get ported to other systems, granted they'd be homebrew in many cases.

But I'd kill to have this on my Raspberry Pi, alongside a shit-ton of Sonic hacks, arcade classics and PS1 faves.

17. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    There really isn't anything stopping a Linux build I just never attempted it. Dolphman you can use the sprites if you want.

18. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    I suppose if you are willing to let me ssh into your linux box we could try to make an do a linux build. I don't have any machines with Linux on them that aren't just meant for work or I'd just do it myself.

19. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    You know, if you are running the latest Windows 10, you can just set up the Linux Subsystem and do Linux stuff within Windows, like a reverse WINE.

20. REPO Man

REPO Man

Also, a Raspberry Pi running RetroPie (what I have), a microSD card, a case and a decent AC adapter (you CAN use a phone charger but it won't get enough power) is ultimately really cheap. Altogether it'd be just around $50-70. And with a 32GB card I've got it LOADED with tons of games. I've even had excellent luck with PS1 emulation! Arcade emulation is pretty decent. N64, Dreamcast and PSP is marginal at best.

And no, I'm not some adbot or whatever.