don't click here

overdrive 2

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Oerg866, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Hi,

this is the sequel to our first demo, "overdrive". Presented at Revision 2017 in Saarbrücken, Germany.

ROM Download
    Video (twitch.tv)

Code (Text):
    1. Tech notes:
    4. This demo requires a flash or development cartridge with
    6.    ? 8 Megabytes capacity
    7.    ? Support for the SSF2 mapper
    9. e.g.: TiTANDEV-MD, Mega Everdrive, ToToTek MD-Pro 64M
    11. Due to extensive usage of a previously largely undocumented
    12. hardware register, it will not run properly on all MD systems.
    14. Our tests have shown that around 30% of Model I and 5% of
    15. Model II systems experience issues. This is due to a change
    16. in the manufacturing process of the video chip.
    18. More detailed information will follow in the tech docs that
    19. we'll be releasing in the coming weeks.
    21. This demo will only run on PAL / 50 Hz systems.
    23. At the moment, this demo will not run on ANY emulator.
    24. Emulator developers can expect full support from us in order
    25. to fix this (Please contact us!)

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    This is really really impressive, you should all be congratulated for this (I see a couple of familiar names in the credits - as well as you, Jorge & Sik are both present!)

Can you describe the testing process if this doesn't work in emulator? Was it a case of writing code and then flashing the ROM over and over in flash carts? Sounds painful.

3. I've created my own USB based development cartridge. It costs less than 25 euros in parts and allows you to upload code at around 5.8 MiB/s, then the cartridge initiates a hard reset and runs it. Very comfortable!

4. synchronizer

synchronizer

Your work is incredible! It's too bad that you're finished with the megadrive, but is it that you all believe that you've gone as far as you can go?

5. Flygon

Flygon

As I said over at SEGA-16. Not a clue how the fuck the Titan crew some of that shit going on, but I am goddamn impressed.

6. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    With all that 3D, I hope Overdrive 3 is a just a superior port of Hard Drivin'.

You people are goddamn wizards.

7. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Can someone ping Nemesis and get Exodus running this soon?

8. Devon

Devon

Down you're going... down you're going... Tech Member
    your mom
    This demo uses an "undocumented" register that NO emulators support. While this register is actually partially documented as of now, there's still more info that will be released sometime in the future.

9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I believe Nemesis is still busy with his Mega LD dumping project.

10. I know Mask of Destiny is actually quite eager to get this emulated and made promising progress already. Eke hasn't shown anything yet but I'm sure he will manage ;)

11. Mask of Destiny

Mask of Destiny

Tech Member
    I am indeed. The latest nightly of BlastEm (look for one dated 19-Apr-2017 or later, they are not in date order unfortunately) runs most of the demo correctly. The biggest remaining issues are in the "Titancade" portion (handling of V30 mode bit is incorrect and doesn't play nicely with the vertical border extension trick) and the rotating cube/rectangular prism(s) (suspected to be a timing issue, but I haven't investigated it yet). The horizontal border extension stuff isn't supported yet either, but that's a bit less jarring; especially since horizontal borders are not displayed with the default overscan setting. The V30 switching issue should be fixed within a day or so. The issue with the cube could be quick or painful depending on what the actual problem is.

12. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Okay, what the fuck did I just see? Was that transparency or low bitrate tricking me into it? So it was true that Genesis Does...

I won't say awesome work because it just isn't enough... I have no words for it.

13. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Is this one of those USB SDKs built from those FPGA kits? This kit to be specific?

14. Nope, completely custom design :)

[​IMG]

Excuse the crustiness of this picture, this is the first one of the small production run I've built and it's been through a hellride of debugging :D

15. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Thats even cooler

16. Yuzu

Yuzu

Great job, you guys have pulled off some amazing work. I'm pretty sure at this point you've hit the peak of what the Mega Drive is capable of.

Really hoping that an Overdrive 3 can happen, as surpassing this would be mindblowing.

17. Ah, I heard about this on reddit then when it got to the credits I was like "Oh! I know those names!" Good work, guys! This is pretty amazing