don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    He could also just be referring to the drowning theme, as despite there being multiple water levels in the classic series I think Labyrinth and Chemical Plant are the two most associated with drowning.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    And if SEGA needs Labyrinth in the game, they can always "include" it as a hidden brown-only room inside Hidrocity. =P

3. Turbohog

Turbohog

I will honestly be very disappointed if the water level in the game isn't Hyrdrocity. So please no Labryinth.

Also, I still wouldn't take this as a confirmation of anything, as others have said.

4. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    First it was speculated to be Aquatic Ruin, now Labyrinth? I feel like we're grasping at straws a bit.

5. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not about the Labyrinth Zone life, AT ALL. Plus, it already had its time in SONIC 4. Maybe it's a troll and it's actually Tidal Tempest (which I also despise, but just not as much).

But c'mon, Hydrocity deserves the spotlight for once!

6. Felik

Felik

You do realize that if it is in fact Labyrinth (which it is, mark my words) then the dev team would go out of their way to make it not suck, right guys?

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Why go out of their way to polish a turd though when they could use a base that doesn't suck?

8. Felik

Felik

Whoa there cowboy. It was only a turd in the level design/flow compartment which is incidentally the aspect they'd target first and foremost. The stage had pleasant and catchy music theme and looked (whilst simplistic cause Sonic 1 looked simplistic overall compared to 2 and 3) pretty original creative and nice.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    The issue though is that if you look at GHZ and the little we've seen on FBZ, they seem to like taking the original levels and adding bits and pieces of new layouts at random points. GHZ Act 1 is heavily influenced from the original GHZ Act 1 and 2, GHZ Act 2 has a lot of the original GHZ Act 3, and for what it's worth FBZ seemed to have a lot of pieces of the original FBZ Act 1. Outside of Labyrinth Act 3's water propulsion tunnel and the water slides there is nothing I want to see from that level again. Slow moving platform and switch puzzles, orbinauts that you have to duck and wait to avoid while almost drowning, block platforming, and that dick of a "boss" are not fun. And more importantly, they already remade Labyrinth in Sonic 4. Yea, I know it's Sonic 4 but we should hope they go for new material outside of GHZ.

I mean at the end of the day, they have all these good zones to choose from and they choose that one? Not Starlight or Scrap Brain or even Marble (I don't see Spring Yard having a chance given the fact that Studiopolis basically takes its place)? To be fair though, I've always found Sonic 1 to be the weakest of the classics and I would prefer multiple levels be taken from Sonic 2 and 3 instead of double dipping in Sonic 1, if that's even what they're doing we don't know.

10. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Laberynt zone frustrated me so much when I was a kid... and thinking those fuckers wanted it to be the second stage creeps me out... thus I like it more than Hydrocity, which a pretty large portion of it is hold down and... that's it.

11. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I really hope that the theory that this is just new drowning music proves to be correct and Labyrinth Zone isn't featured - it's one of the weakest zones in the weakest of the Classics and there so many better choices out there for a water level, like Hydrocity or Tidal Tempest. Mania is still day one for me regardless, but I would have thought with Taxman and Stealth being such hardcore Sonic fans their zone choices would be pretty awesome, like the recent reveal of Flying Battery for example.

Summer is just a few months away so Mania shouldn't be that far out. Hope they make the most of their delay in to the Summer to enhance the game.

12. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Tidal Tempest is a far better underwater-labyrinth stage when compared to Labyrinth zone. You can finish the acts more quickly. The level design is still maze-like, but it's more interesting, less restricted/more fluid, definitely more open. There are more multiple routes. If you take the highest routes in the first two acts you can avoid most of the water. Visually TT looks a lot better (the mixture of blue and pink in the Good Future is crazy but gorgeous). Has a more forgiving and more entertaining boss-fight and really cool music (especially Jp present & NA bad future). It's a better stage in just about every way.

Not that Labyrinth zone is a bad level. Slow yes, a little bit frustrating at times perhaps, but once you learn the layout it's not that difficult.

I'm kind of expecting Hydrocity to get the nod, but considering it's already a near-perfect stage I think Tidal Tempest could be a good choice.

13. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    [​IMG]

14. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Red herring...

[​IMG]

Close enough Labyrinth Zone confirmed!!!!!!!!

15. Felik

Felik

I feel like I'm gonna feel really dumb in a couple of months :v:

16. I must be crazy because I love Labyrinth and think Tidal Tempest is an empty, unfinished snooze fest :v:

But Hydrocity is king.

17. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

Probably because the Hydrocity music has Michael Jackson written all over it and Sega doesn't want to touch that with a ten-foot pole.

I'd say due to the Michael Jackson thing the only Sonic 3 level with any chance of making it into Mania is Angel Island, which, due to the theme being featured on other games and Sega soundtrack samplers over the years, probably doesn't have the involvement of either him or one of his collaborators.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Hydrocity is one of those gray area songs. I don't think we know who made that one, but it was included in Generations (although re-instrumented for some reason). If there were any problems with it it likely wouldn't have been in the game at all.

I think the biggest issues would be Carnival Night and Launch Base, with Ice Cap not being as problematic but still problematic. Seeing as how we already have a tropical level, that leaves Marble Garden (which also had its song included in Generations) and Hydrocity. I'm ok with either.

19. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie

Exactly. That just proves that Hydrocity's music was not an issue, nor was it ever an issue. Even if it was, it is no reason to dump the Zone. Lego Sonic composed all new "soundalikes" and I know Tee Lopes would have done much better than that team if he absolutely had to change the music.

But thank you Taxman for confirming that Tee's post was a Red Herring. Thank goodness. Don't pull that LZ shit on me.

20. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

Carnival Night and Launch Base definitely have MJ's stamp on them, Carnival Night seems to even sample his voice. Ice Cap would actually be doable because that was more or less confirmed to be Brad Buxer as the sole composer, so they'd just have to work it out with Buxer for getting the rights to use and remix/rearrange it. But Carnival Night, Launch Base, and the original Sonic 3 mini-boss music are all doomed IMO.

Marble Garden has its own similarities to MJ's work but if Sega actually does have the full rights to it then they can probably get away with using that one. Marble Garden would not be a bad choice of zone to use with its similarities to Marble Zone, you could have an alternate path that puts you into an environment just like Marble Zone while the main path is clearly Marble Garden as you remember it.

I've never been super fond of the Sonic water levels but Hydrocity was the best one of them. Though Chemical Plant is likely inevitable.