don't click here

Sonic 3 Japanese Promo VHS - History of Sonic

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Fred Wood, Apr 1, 2017.

1. 2019 Edit: I just bought a RetroTink 2X, so I decided to re-digitize this neat VHS in significantly better quality. I'll try and get a raw upload up later too.

I was browsing Yahoo Auctions while pretty drunk, and happened upon a Sonic 3 Promo VHS, so I bought it, scanned the box and tape, and converted the VHS to digital to upload for y'all to hopefully gleam something from. I think this tape has previously been gone through, but maybe there's something in there that hasn't been seen or shared.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• NEW YouTube Link ? https://youtu.be/sYX1ZI1CD-I
    • OLD YouTube Link ? https://youtu.be/qDihkZhTvTY

2. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Raw download link, please?

3. Windii

Windii

Robot Stonks Riser Member
    Well, this is pretty interesting. The video itself doesn't really talk about much of the stuff we didn't already know, although it's cute how they didn't neglect to mention Knuckles's "Knuckle" nickname, which is all but a relic at this point. They also list his age as "more than 15 years old." I also like how they mention that Yuji Naka wanted to show that Sonic does indeed have six spikes.

4. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    The automated-Japanese subtitles then automatically translated to English on the YouTube video is a right laugh!

5. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    Seeing the gameplay clips of S12&3, I can see the borders around the game like what you see from emulators. Isn't that a bit odd?

6. kazblox

kazblox

Diassemblies and decompilations.
    *cough* *cough* overscan *cough*

7. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    very nice find ! hope its archived for future generations to enjoy lol

8. Turbohog

Turbohog

I've seen this before. I could never forget "HAIR"!

I agree a raw download link weird be nice because that could probably be the highest quality version of this video available. Would love to get a translation too.

9. Where should I upload the raw? It's not going to be particularly better than the vid.me upload.

10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    This isn't "new" per se - it's been up on YouTube for a while (and we even have screenshots of it on the wiki) but I don't know what the status is in terms of clean, archival-quality rips of the video.

We don't have good quality scans of the box and cassette though - don't wait for a page, just upload the stuff anyway and I'll see that something is done at some point.

That can be a general call to any wiki user - if you have useful files but don't have the time/confidence/language skills to produce a page, don't let that stop you from uploading things. Someone else can fill in for the written bits.

(just... you know... read this so the pink badges don't have to clean up after you :) )

11. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Because Sonic and Sega Retro actually host video files on the site itself, that can then be download if need be?

Those YouTube and vidme links could stop existing tomorrow for we know. Gotta try and be self-efficient and all that.

12. bookman the stinky

bookman the stinky

literal trash Member
    the dong
    find motivation
    1993?
    This might be the first time the Sonic CD cinematics have been shown without being destroyed by low framerates or color limitations.

13. I didn't ask why, I asked where. But I've contacted admins of the wiki to upload the 480mb file.

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Sonic Retro for Sonic things, Sega Retro for Sega things.

There's an awkward 100MB restriction on uploading files the normal way - we can bypass that. You can do the scans though.

15. Alright, I don't know if I've got the time to do the proper editing and naming, and I don't know if I'd even do a great job, so here's the compromise:
    Here's a link to everything, uploaded.
    https://mega.nz/#!Gg4mFY5B!i31KQnYIU1N7kqoB6XDo9ePB84TIgFrbnfsuvCkHaro

It's got 1200dpi scans of the box as well as the cassette and labels.

I'd love a nod in the contributors section of the wiki page for it if possible, but whatever, as long as it's useful to someone. :)/>

16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    You get your name next to the upload if you're the one uploading it :)

Otherwise someone like me does it and the system gives me the credit.
    [​IMG]
    And I don't think I need the credit.

17. cough

2019 bump, I re-recorded and uploaded a new version of the VHS. Properly cut down to time and much, much better quality. I'll bump again when I've got a raw version uploaded somewhere.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• NEW YouTube Link ? https://youtu.be/sYX1ZI1CD-I
    • Old raw box scans ? https://mega.nz/#!Gg4mFY5B!i31KQnYIU1N7kqoB6XDo9ePB84TIgFrbnfsuvCkHaro

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Thank you for re-ripping the tape, but there seems to be something causing interferences nearby? :(

19. Nope, just degradation of the tape over time.

edit: That's why we need to work hard to rip these things sooner than later.

20. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    That image of Eggman kidnapping Tails in the strange, winged Eggmobile continues to baffle me as one of the strangest concept art pieces in Classic Sonic media.