don't click here

Shenmue 3

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Saidian, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    So did a lot of games. Doesn't mean I'd rather play them than games that have done it better since then. It's been said but it bears repeating; neither Shenmue games have aged that well at all, and I don't want Shenmue 3 if it's gonna be more of the same.

2. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    I'm just going to abandon thread at this point. There is no point for me to be here.

3. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Ok yea you do that. I'm sorry that this is your reaction to people not liking what you like.

Meanwhile, I'll stick around in this thread because I want Shenmue 3 to be great, and this is the Shenmue 3 thread.

+ - I mean if you honestly think that Shenmue would hold up well to criticism today with just an HD coat of paint, then I don't know what to tell you  

4. Felik

Felik

Dude, we both know there's no such thing as good QTEs

5. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Ahum

[​IMG]

6. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    No, Shenmue absolutely did QTEs right. Directions pressed in the QTE match with the direction Ryo moves in; the A button in a QTE always corresponds with a kick or jump, the B button with a throw, and the X with a punch; frequently button combinations pressed in QTE correspond with the same moves as performed in Free Battle, subtly teaching the player there too; learning different moves changes QTEs, as Ryo only performs moves he's learned (best example: QTE in Warehouse 1 - ends with a Pit Blow if you learned it (and pressed the buttons correctly), but ends with a different move if you didn't)l missing a prompt usually doesn't automatically fail the QTE, but instead Ryo takes a hit and another chance is given, typically with a different move; and failing the sequence usually means you have to gather information a different way, instead of just making you retry until you succeed (the Wan Chai chapter is good for this; the Kowloon chapter utterly fails, though).

Although personally I wouldn't have put QTE for fight scenes or compulsory scenes, and left them purely for scenes which have multiple consequences. It would've meant the loss of some awesome fight scenes, but then what's the point of having a fighting game engine if you're not going to use it for fights?

7. Wow, condescending much? Anyway, it sounds facetious but the game did have what I wanted back then: I could go buy candy at a store with a daily allowance for a chance to win classic games then go home and play them all day while there's some serious story going on the background that I could go through at my own pace. The game did have its flaws, though: There's the neat martial arts moves you can learn and you can practice fighting... but you don't actually get to use this anywhere as fights are pretty much all QTE events until the big battle at the end of the game.

8. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    I've played both Shenmue games on DC and loved it. Can't wait for part 3.
    Dunno which copy I'll pick up (PC or PS4). Will depend on if I get a PS4 or Switch.

Graphically, Shenmue was the closest thing to the real world I experienced back then. The mystics, martial arts and overall Asian setting had me hooked.

9. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    A bit unrelated, but since there's no Shenmue 3 news of recent, and for those who want to play Shenmue 1 and 2 and don't quite want to hang around for a possible may-or-may-not-happen HD port (and have dying Dreamcasts like mine that seems to struggle with most discs ;) ), both games play more or less spot-on on the Demul Emulator now. I was surprised to see Digital Foundry even praised it in one of their recent vids: https://youtu.be/7HNOSQqoUcg
    Not sure how high the requirements are, but I gave it a try on my rig and got pretty blown away by the fact it just... plays! With no apparent glitches that pop up with the usual PS2/GCN emulation. Only downside is the lack of upscale options, but if you're looking for a good way to preserve the accuracy of the experience (down to even the Arcade games running perfectly), I'm recommending it.

Not hearing the Dreamcast wrestle with disc-loading between areas has been a life-changer.

Of course, if Shenmue I and II do get the HD re-release treatmend, abandon this post and go the legit route.

10. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Depends on who the critic is. + - IE I've seen the Game Grumps lets play and it was a fucking cringefest.  

Besides, we have a modern Shenmue and it is called Yakuza.

11. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Game Grumps is a cringefest period.

Besides, that's basically my point. It's not quite as immersive as Shenmue was, and it's tone is completely different (I don't even just mean the subject matter of the narrative), but in many ways Yakuza is what I'd expect of a modern go at Shenmue. So I worry that Shenmue 3 just won't have what it takes to compete in this day and age if it's really just more of the same.

12. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Yakuza is a modern Shenmue in the same way that GTA is a modern Mario Kart.

13. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Nintendo developed and published GTA and GTA has clear gameplay and aesthetic similarities to its "predecessor?"

What kind of shit are you smoking and may I please have some?

14. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I don't remember Yu Suzuki or AM2 being involved in any way with Yakuza. The games have different developers, with only a couple (non-core) shared between them.

Aesthetic similarities like... both being set in Japan? I guess that makes Midnight Club the same game as L.A. Noire!

Gameplay similarities? Shenmue is an open-world detective/life simulator with occasional beat-em-up sections. Yakuza is a beat-em-up with occasional detective/life simulator sections. There is a very clear shift on focus between the two. Gameplay-wise, Yakuza is more comparable to Bayonetta or Sleeping Dogs.

Again, it's like claiming similarities between Mario Kart and GTA. After all, in both games you spend most of your time driving around firing weapons at other cars.

15. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    No seriously what are you smoking?

The reason people compare Yakuza to Shenmue is precisely because of the shared "life simulator" parts of the gameplay.

And if you spend your time in GTA driving around and shooting at other cars, you're playing it very wrong. The comparison you're looking for is Mario Kart and Twisted Metal, friend.

16. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    This is like saying Sonic and Bubsy aren't comparable, and that Bubsy is more comparable to Tomb Raider. These games have nothing in common except for that they are all, at least partially, beat em ups. Mechanically they are each incredibly different.

I'm not going to say that Shenmue and Yakuza are the same game, they both clearly focus on completely different things for the main gameplay. But overall they have enough similarities for people to compare them, and for Yakuza to basically be "Shenmue but without the tedious stuff and more fun stuff" to people.

17. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    So they're both like Sonic Adventure? That has an (A-)life simulator part too!

Why not compare Jet Set Radio to Tony Hawk's Pro Skater while you're at it?

It's a sandbox game, don't tell me how to play it. Actually I usually spend my time driving along the pavement at high speed. :v:

No, it's not. It's like saying Sonic and Halo aren't comparable, and that Sonic is more comparable to Tomb Raider.

I'm not saying Yakuza is like Bayonetta at all. I'm saying it's more like Bayonetta than it is Shenmue. Because both Yakuza and Bayonetta are beat-'em-ups, and Shenmue is a life simulator.

They have similarities, sure. Yakuza is not "a modern Shenmue", though.

18. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Yakuza is not solely a beat-em-up though. Parts of it are, but then also a huge part of the games (as of Yakuza 0) is exploring the cities, coming across NPCs who have their own stories going on, managing your business, passing the time in arcades (with actual Sega arcade games), karaoke bars, discos, bowling alleys, and so on. The most appealing thing about Yakuza 0 in particular for a lot of people is exploring the world and the stories within it. All of the pieces for a life simulator are there. Yakuza has enough of Shenmue in it to the point where if you'd make it so you have to do everything at a certain time of the day and toned the amount of beat em up sections way down, that it really would feel like a spiritual successor to Shenmue.

I agree that Yakuza isn't really all that much like Shenmue cause again, the games focus on different things. But it's not like it's that hard to see why people would compare it to Shenmue.

19. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    That's fair enough.

20. Andeh

Andeh

Derp herp. Oldbie
    There's also a widescreen fix here that makes it look really nice. I'm finally able to play using Demul instead of NullDC, and it's so much more stable, but it needs a lot of resources. Use the older DX11 plugin to get the ability to increase the internal resolution by 3x if your pc can handle it.

Here it is running on my PC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZdL1pfBVSo