don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    The question of Tails' ability to break monitors or not in my opinion goes back to my earlier post in the thread about how Tails is implemented as a co-op character. Mania looks to be replicating the same role he was in the classic games--largely an free extra layer to the existing campaign. He won't be able to break item boxes and his progress in the game is entirely dependent on Sonic/P1; but he's also virtually invincible due to not being tied by any lives system like Sonic is--he can immediately bounce back from enemy attack, and if he dies, he'll return a short while later (save for underwater levels or rare "story" occasions in which he is programmed not to show up at those points). In such a case I think Tails not being able to break monitors is fine, being able to destroy / utilize powerups on top of having infinite lives would arguably make him OP.

But if Tails was instead programmed to have a life system, then I think being able to break and utilize item boxes in co-op is totally fair. It comes with the tradeoff / risk of the player having to cultivate and preserve their own lives, as well as the co-op player having to step in and continue the campaign in case P1/Sonic dies. This I think would be the more preferable option than the former as I feel it utilizes the co-op aspect better--both players would be actively completing the campaign together, rather than one player doing the bulk of the work with the second player being able to get some rings and badnik/bosses hits in here and there. Ideally it would be nice if Mania or a future Genesis Sonic-inspired game allowed for both co-op systems--a "classic" co-op system that works like older titles, and the newer "partner" system that functions as I've described it.

With that said, I'm namely speaking in terms of Tails being controlled by a P2 co-op partner, however. When Tails is controlled by AI, the "classic" option should be applied in all circumstances. Having AI Tails accidentally steal your bubbles underwater was worrying enough, now imagine him being able to get unintended dibs on your shields, speed shoes, and invincibility as well. :v

2. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    God no. The last thing I want is to be kicking ass with a Lightning Shield and have some dick decide I deserve a Water Shield instead.

3. Flygon

Flygon

I always presumed they idea was that Tails would get the Shield, not Sonic.

4. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I always thought it would be nice if you could select between tag-along and full co-op.
    ‘Tag-along’ plays exactly like the Mega Drive games (and this is the mode that is used when that AI is in control).

In ‘full co-op', Tails has his own Ring, Score and Lives counter. In this mode, he can hit power-ups and he takes on the effect.

‘Tag along’ would be perfect for playing with a younger sibling, while ‘full co-op’ would be more enjoyable for evenly skilled players.

Throw in a button for Tails to teleport back on screen and you'd have an excellent co-op expeirence.

5. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie
    So I picked this up on a whim:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0762454989

[​IMG]

So I noticed that it's actually got a simple, vectorized version of the Sonic Mania Sonic on the side:

[​IMG][​IMG]

http://imgur.com/gallery/ODp1E

VERY unfortunately, the box got mangled on the way here. Which Sucks, because that art on the top and side it's available anywhere online! Bastards!

But according to the Amazon link the thing came out in 2015! Is that the first sighting of that bit of art?

6. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    The art isn't really new. It's old art that was barely ever used that was re-shaded for Sonic Mania.

7. @big smile
    Beautiful concept. If they include also Chaotix mode + online multiplayer... Sonic Mania would have the multiplayer which most people are dreaming about.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Was it old art or was it some of that neo-classic art that they've made in the past couple of years.

9. Aquova

Aquova

Professional nerd in training Member
    USA
    But then you have the problem where Tails decides he deserves a Water Shield, not Sonic.

10. Felik

Felik

You guys do realize that the person playing Tails is sitting right next to you and you can, like, talk to them, right? Or in case it's over the internet then it's someone you know and you both will have a good laugh.

Point is it's a nonissue.

11. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
    Friendships broken like the monitor that came between us... :( :v:

12. Aquova

Aquova

Professional nerd in training Member
    USA
    Shield stealing is acceptable grounds for ending a friendship.

13. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    You never had younger siblings did you?

14. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    I take it shields being given to both characters ala s2heroes is out of the question? :specialed:

15. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
    That goes back to the original issue of Tails (or Sonic, since this is co-op) giving you a shield you don't want. It's a double edged blade whichever way you twist it. No interaction with a shield, Sonic is always dominant. Interaction with shield, Tails is an asshole.

I really hope that Mania has a competitive multiplayer as well, something like Sonic 2's but with fully scaled graphics and a choice between splitscreen or network play. Sigh... I can dream.

16. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    So on the SSMB when Tantalus was mentioned to be working on the Switch port, someone mentioned that both Tantalus and Taxman were based in Australia. I looked it up, and what do you know, both of them are in fuckin' Melbourne. I had no idea Chris was a fellow Aussie. That's pretty neat.

Also, apparently the Switch version is getting a physical release. Fuck, I might actually forgo the PC version in favor of playing it on the Switch.

17. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    I'm still hoping for a demo release before the release. Even just GHZ or one of the already announced levels. Knowing the community though, the demo would be dissected like Generations was.

18. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I think I can go without a demo before release. We already know exactly what to expect from the gameplay and it's not far away now, so I'd rather wait until I can charge through the whole thing at my own pace rather than being into a limited portion. Plus, like you said, all of its contents will be extracted and strewn across the internet almost instantly. I could do without that.

19. Flygon

Flygon

Wait. I thought Taxman was based in Sydney. Fuck me, I must've confused him with Nemesis again. :psyduck:

I am still very intrigued by this Switch release. If EB Games Australia are so confident in a physical release... well, I just hope it's goddamn true. It's egg on ours and their faces otherwise.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Any chance of getting an actual release date? "Spring 2017" is not that far off.

Or will this be like Sonic CD Remastered again and it'll be "Season Year" until like 3 weeks before it's released.