don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Aquova

Aquova

Professional nerd in training Member
    USA
    Hold right, up-right, up, up-left, left, down-left, down, down-right, right to win.

2. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I dunno how well it'd work in 2D, but Lego Harry Potter (and other lego games? this is the only one I've played) got it absolutely right for 3D:

(jump to 3:35 for a good exmaple)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LlfMzPjx5A&t=3m35s

Now obviously care would need to be taken to prevent this from impeding the players' forward view, but I think something like this that adjusts dynamically could work really well.

3. Flygon

Flygon

Either Australia's getting a physical Switch release, someone's dun goofed, or EB Games Australia are finally selling digital downloads somehow.

Either way, they listed it on their website. Given they've listed pretty much every single Switch game shown as a placholder, however. And that they made news for opening NX preorders around late 2015?... I wouldn't really be holding my breath, and would just presume someone jumped the gun pretty hard.

4. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Yes, I agree. Maybe just a slight zoom out is all that's needed for it to work.

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Wow, that really is seamless. I was looking at one of the characters and took me a couple of seconds to notice that the screen had already been split.

6. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    After watching my wife try to play Sonic 2 some time ago, I have to say "yes".

7. Yeah, that's awesome!

8. SiddtheKidd

SiddtheKidd

Streets of Fucking Rage! Member
    Sin City
    Project Neo - Deadly Metropolis
    just saw a release date on my amazon order for May 31, is this legit?

9. That's really smooth and totally seamless! I like it.

Even though I got comfortable with the physics fairly quickly as a kid (after dropping the console on the floor a few times from pulling the controller cord too much), for years I wasn't sure how to proceed when running on ceilings... Sonic & Knuckles was out and I still didn't know if I should press on the opposite direction when running on the ceilings of Mushroom Hill.

My wife, who grew up with Super Mario World, still has a lot of trouble controlling Sonic.

10. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    That seems to be the date floating around most retailers. Could be placeholder but could also be legit given it lines up with Spring.

Perhaps Taxman or Stealth could chime in?

11. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Always assume that release dates on retail sites are placeholder if one hasn't officially been announced. Especially assume that it's placeholder if the date is the last day of a month.

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

In addition to what TimmiT said about that simply being the last day of Spring and therfore an obvious placeholder, don't expect Tax and Stealth to come in to answer questions like that. SEGA will announce a release date in due course. In the meantime, nobody will be allowed to divulge that information (and that's assuming that a release date has even been set yet).

13. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Thanks for the insight guys. Yeah I guess you're both right in that the date is highly likely to be an obvious placeholder and it's probably not possible for Taxman or Stealth to confirm anything before something definite is due to be announced.

Hopefully Sega will announce something definitive soon.

14. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    Minor bug with Tails running through the floor at 2:42.

15. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Tails was unable to break the lightning shied item-box after the mini-boss fight. Tails should be able break all boxes like Sonic especially as this is a co-op playthrough.

16. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Tails couldn't break item boxes in the classic games, and I see no reason to change this.

17. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    If I was playing single-player with Sonic and Tails AI, then of course I wouldn't want Tails to break item-boxes which I don't want touched. So Tails not being able to break an item-box makes sense.

However, if I'm Sonic and playing online or local co-op then surely Tails (controlled by the other player) should be able to break item-boxes as well?

18. mitsame

mitsame

ny
    even in co-op he couldn't in the classic games. it'd be an interesting mechanic to explore though, but i think it's better that he can't for now so long as co-op is on one screen. if it were split screen or dual screen or some other way for tails to go off on his own then it'd work better, though.

19. Aquova

Aquova

Professional nerd in training Member
    USA
    Since the Tails AI needs to take back over or relinquish control based on how recently there was activity on the 2P controller, it's probably too convoluted to add in that behavior. At what point do you let the AI Tails break boxes again? What if you hit the 2P controller just as he's about to hit it? It's easier and simpler to just have him be unable to do it, as it was on Genesis.

20. There are no technical complications at all in switching between the 2 modes, it would just look and feel inconsistent, which might be the main reason for not implementing something like this.

"Just about to" is a human concept, game engines don't typically predict what will happen unless important gameplay elements depend on that. That being said, it comes down to the order in which things are processed each frame. If input processing comes before object movement (and that would make sense since player objects move based on input), the engine will already know that Tails is being controlled by the time he hits the monitor, so it'll break.

For the sake of consistency, yes, I agree.