don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. MastaSys

MastaSys

Considering that the original Candy is not a cat, might as well be another character altogether.

2. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    I agree, a new character should have been introduced instead of some kind of filler loosely based on a lost Sega IP.

And if they introduce some kind of Honey-Nega as "Candy" I will fucking scream with rage.

3. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    You have very strong opinions on what Honey should and should not be, when the probable reason SEGA even allowed Ian to use her was such that she wasn't derivative of the source material and instead had her own personality.

4. Volphied

Volphied

「限界の向こうは無限大」 Member
    Agreed, Honey in the comics has her own personality that goes beyond just being a reference to Fighting Vipers. Honestly, I'm actually a bit surprised to finally find someone who truly hates Honey's appearance in the comics. Everywhere else her introduction was met with extremely high praise.

biggestsonicfan, The yellow cat with black hair is now officially a sonic character (whether you like it or not). Also, her name in Japan is Honey (and was left unchanged in Sonic Fighters), which is why almost everyone prefers to call her by that name. And Archie didn't "rip her to shreds", that was tried with a dumb localization that tried (and failed, thankfully) at renaming her "Candy".

EDIT: It failed to catch among the wider internet community. I've seen people calling her "Honey" much more often than "Candy". It's why SEGA didn't bother to rename her "Candy" for Sonic Fighters, and why Archie also correctly calls her by her real name. Inventing new names for characters for no reason during localization is today pointless, as anyone can look up their real names on the internet. And while there was a huge outcry when SEGA finally carried "Eggman" over to the West after Sonic made the jump to 3D, there was zero outrage when Honey was kept her canonical Japanese name after she was restored for Sonic the Fighters.

This is why I find it weird for biggestsonicfan to complain about how Archie "ripped her to shreds" while simultaneously giving a pass to unnecessary and nonsensical name changes during localization. If anything Archie is being more true to the source by calling her "Honey".

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Her non-furry version is called Candy in both Fighting Vipers games outside of Japan, so how is that failing.

6. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    They're just not the same character? It's like getting mad that Pinocchio in Shrek doesn't sound or act like Pinocchio from the Disney movie.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I'd say it's more like wanting to change the name of the Shrek character even though it's an alternate version of the same thing...

8. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
    Eggmans and Robotniks, oh my!

Japan says one thing, the West says another, then there's a compromise before Japan has the last say.

Watch them call her Honey "Candy" Cat soon. :v:

Honey is the original name in Japan, thus technically the correct name. :specialed:

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...If you're living in Japan.

Just as the final boss in Street Fighter II is called M. Bison and not Vega, over here.

10. Titan

Titan

UK
    Actually, in the European version of Fighting Vipers 2 on Dreamcast they didn't bother changing the name to Candy, it was still Honey. (FV2 was never released in the US, so who knows if they'd have changed it or not). And evidently they didn't bother changing it in the EU or US releases of STF on PSN or Xbox Live either, for the cat version of the character. So it appears the Candy name didn't survive past the 90's, basically.

11. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    I'm not 100% sure about the reasons for Honey's name change but M.Bison was changed due to stupid legal things. Balrog was originally Mike Bison and that irked, or Capcom feared it would, Mike Tyson, so Capcom did a switcharoo outside Japan. There are no legal reasons for Honey/Candy as far as I'm aware, so really it's quite a different situation there. Much closer to the whole Eggman/Robotnik shebam. Anyhow, like Titan said, the Cat is Honey and has always been.

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Ok sorry, should have said Phoenix Wright.
    Or Mega Man.
    Or Ash Ketchum.
    Or Birdo.
    Or Hsien-Ko, Jon Talbain, Baby Bonniehood, Lord Raptor, Huitzil, etc.

Those are all the correct names outside of Japan.

13. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Honey's name in Fighting Vipers might have been changed to Candy in the West because Honey could be considered a slang term for a prostitute, or at least something on par with 'floozy'. Ahem.

I Think Honey the cat in archie Sonic is pretty great. To make a more fleshed out character from something that was for years hidden in the code of an arcade game is pretty cool, I reckon.

14. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Doesn't matter, Jane the Warthog is best Archie character.
    [​IMG]

15. Xeric

Xeric

Workington, England
    S3K Mighty Sheet
    That'd be 'Pane the Boar'. :v:

16. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    They totally call her Jane the Warthog in Japan, though :colbert: .

17. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    This totally cracked me up. :v:
    Thank you. XD

Silly Westerners, those aren't donuts. :eng101:

Well, Honey the Cat is officially her Western name as well, regardless of her human Candy heritage. :)

18. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    New covers and solicitations, including a couple of new covers drawn by Tyson Hesse: http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/archie-comics-april-2017-covers-and-solicitations/1100-156341/

They're gonna cover SegaSonic the Hedgehog.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ha, SegaSonic Arcade throwback. What a random game.

Guess this means the comic isn't cancelled...for now.

20. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    That SegaSonic cover is adorable and makes me very happy.