don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I liked the redesigns, particularly Rotor's. Didn't know they were so polarizing.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Do you know what fan community you're talking to here? :specialed:

3. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Oh, right.

4. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    This is making me sad. I haven't had a subscription since 2003 (caught the whole "Tossed in Space" arc, which was honestly a pretty neat time to briefly jump back in), but I always took some comfort in the series' continued existence since it's the final enduring thread of 90s Sonic. Still have a lot of nostalgia for SatAM, so I'm real glad those characters had a home somewhere all this time- not worth having a comic without them.

Rotor really should have been gay. Why didn't anyone support this.

5. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    I think Robotnik is too gay for Sonic as it is to throw in another gay character without it coming off as preachy.

We don't need a reboot per say, we just need to continue the Mega-drive series. And, even though I have a fondness for the sat-am universe, what with the 90s and childhood and all that, I feel a clean break would be refreshing.

If they were to continue with the Mega-drive series I would buy a subscription for the first time in more than 15 years. I also feel that Sonic storylines are better off being told in 1-4 issues max, and it should be a single story per comic. One of the reasons I stopped collecting those damn things all that time ago, was because they would cram 2 or 3 stories in a single comic plus ads, so you'd have to wait a month for another 5 pages of a poorly drawn story. I don't know what the fuck was going on back then. I had heard things really improved since then, but maybe not? :psyduck:

6. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    I've never had the urge to read the Archie Sonic comic (Fleetway represent, yo), but Mega Drive looks great. I've just bought the two books on Comixology, figured that if the fate of the comic seems to be uncertain I'd pick them up while I still have the chance.

EDIT: Just finished reading them, seriously SEGA, hire everyone involved and just do that, but in a game.

7. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I find it funny that the people saying the comic needs a clean reboot or needs the slate wiped hasn't actually read the comic OR has read the comic recently.

To those people, go read the reboot we just had first (STH #252, SU #55). seriously its not that bad and all the Penders weight in plots and characters is gone, making the comic enjoyable.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I've been reading the comics since the reboot. I guess thinking about it more, only the first 4 issues really referenced the old universe. Then it kinda just went away. Most of the past references that aren't to games now are to SatAM and AoSTH.

9. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    I'd hope that if something does unfortunately happen, they should end it after no. 300 comes out. It could be a bittersweet deal. Although they could do so well as pop out the occasional special. I would pay for a Mania tie in too.

10. Volphied

Volphied

「限界の向こうは無限大」 Member
    I'd be happy to at least be able to read StH #293. I waited years to see Honey in the comics.

It's incredibly frustrating that all this chaos and panic is happening just as both the art and writing improved enormously. Especially after the reboot got rid of all the crappy plotlines and characters. Had this comic been killed while Penders was running it, I doubt I would care much. But no, shit has to hit the fan after people start liking the comic again. :(

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Honey actually already showed up in the Fighters arc (268 to 271). She's made a few cameos since.

12. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    https://twitter.com/boxerhockey/status/821888313850105856

"until its resolved".

Assuming Archie still has the license and its not worst case senario, I can only assume that Archie literally fucking forgot to renew the license.

I would bust a gut if its just some license screw up, All this panic over Archie not checking when their license due date was up, wonder whos the intern that got put in charge of that?!

Then again whos having the real laugh here? us or Archie and all the comic team watching us melt down.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'd say us, as this is yet another example of how incompetent they are as a publisher.

14. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Why though?

15. Tylinos

Tylinos

Tyson's confirmed in a reply that Archie didn't simply forget to renew the license.

Like I said elsewhere, I personally get the feeling that this mess may very well be Archie having trouble negotiating the license with Sega, and the negotiations have gone on past the license's expiration. It'd explain everything the reps and creatives have been saying if Archie's trying to push forward in the hope that they can continue, but legally can't publish anything new unless they can work out a new contract with Sega.

Doesn't mean they'll succeed at getting the license back, but if this is true, they could certainly be trying.

16. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    At this point, as long as Ian and Tyson stay on board, I say Archie has had their shot. They would have lost the license in the dark times between issues #102-160 had Sega's standards and involvement not been at their all-time low at the time.

The series should go to a publisher with no pre-existing baggage. Penders' legal entaglements tainted Archie far too effectively for it to even be worth Sega's time at this point as they clearly are putting effort into the perceived value of the franchise again.

17. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    At least when the Megaman Comic ended, it had at least finished its story. Even if it was meant to lead into Mega man 4, eventually.

18. Volphied

Volphied

「限界の向こうは無限大」 Member
    She showed up as one of the many fighters competing. #293 is supposed to give her a much bigger role.

Because it was fun to see her go from a discarded and completely forgotten sonic character to actually being playable in the latest Sonic Fighters re-release and then being made canon in the comics?

19. MartiusR

MartiusR

I've decided eventually to give a try to this new short series (bought second issue, I was deceived by the big #1 on the cover, but it's not relevant, because I just wanted to give it a try), but to be honest, I feel a bit disappointed.

If there is one thing which I really don't like about any "conversion" of video game (into comic, book, movie - anything) is painfully direct implementing things, which should stay in the game and forgetting about specific of current medium you're dealing with). I was embarrased with reading the Starcraft: Liberty's Crusade, when author was literally copying the way how various "units" were fighting in first starcraft - even if it was utterly prepasterous at some points (it was partially due to the fact that this book was copying the plot from Terran's campaign, but even with that, author could at least try to make it more "convincing"). I had the same problem with 2nd issue of Sonic Mega Drive series I've read. Borrow the characters, relationship between them, major evidences from game's world - but don't make primitive copying of every aspect, give some life to your creation, and pay attention to specifics of medium in which you're creating.

Not to mention about poor jokes (purely subjective thing though) and the fact that it didn't arouse any emotions in me during reading.

About Archie's StH - can't say that I'm (personally) especially sad with that fact (of potential closing this series - although to be honest, I feel that jumping to this conclusion at this point is still a bit early, even if there are some premises, mentioned in previous posts).

I didn't like at all crossover idea and the fact that everything was literally thrown into bin, including some interesting and unfinished threads/elements of plot (asides from the reasons). And what I've received instead didn't satisfy me.

Eh, I wish that guys from StC Online could do their thing under "official blessing" from Sega. THAT would be something!

20. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    She isn't a Sonic character at all. She is a Fighting Vipers character, complete with her own backstory and personality traits. Archie has ripped her to shreds by using the various info Trakker and I had spread through the net in English for Ian and crew to find. Her name in the comic should literally be Candy in the comics.