don't click here

Sonic Adventure 2 Hacking

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Turbohog, Feb 20, 2012.

1. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    It's probably buried somewhere in the Data_DLL.dll file, which, if it's not one of the models the split batch files extract (if it is, it'll be a .sa2mdl file), you'd have to find the address of the model manually by disassembling the DLL and examining the data inside it.

I honestly don't remember whether SA2 models can be exported to obj yet.

2. Dalin

Dalin

Alternate Sa2 kart replica
    Found it, I made a gif/webm if anyone cares to see http://I.imgur.com/CAbFiuf.webm .

Now just in case someone comes across this and wants to know how I did it, I took the files of SA2PC and put them in the steam folder for sonic adventure 2. Ran splitDLL, entered the file location for data_dll.dll and data_dll.ini. This gave me a huge list of .sa2mdl and .sa2lvl files. Then I just opened a few .sa2mdl files with the SAMDL tool to see what would happen, saw a lot of black screens. Now this is where I was planning to write down how I had to guess what keys to press since I couldn't find and info about the SAMDL tool except that it was a sequel of sorts to some other tool....might've been useful to check out that. Anyway, you have to zoom out a little using the arrow keys before the model becomes visible.
    SADXMDL actually has a readme explaining the other keys. I feel stupid now.

The file was Data_DLL\exModels\3.sa2mdl . There's an option to export to .obj, but it gave me a "System.Nullreferenceexception" so I'm guessing it doesn't work. It exports to .dae and .c without issue, but it seems the .dae doesn't work in the programs I've tried.

I didn't think it would've been that easy for someone who has hardly any idea what he's doing, I guess I'll try to find the texture now.

Edit:
    I tried to use the PAKTool to extract the pak files in the PRS folder, but it doesn't start. Every other executable in the SA2pc folder has a config file of the same name, except PAKTool. Could it be that it's simply missing and needs to be added? Or am I doing something wrong.

Edit²:
    I didn't have to use the PAKTool, the .prs files are in another folder as well. I applied the KartExModel.prs, enabled fullbright instead of natural lights. Worked like a charm: http://I.imgur.com/vBXb6IO.png
    I was even able to export it to .obj now, to the left is the .obj opened in another program.
    The texture seems to miss some parts but I don't really care.

That's all I wanted to do so I'm done here c: Sorry about the long post.

3. Taylor

Taylor

This is an odd question I'll admit, but you know how in SA2, there are some rings that you can't get because they're out of bounds? Are there any mods that remove those rings? You do get rewarded for collecting all of them, which you can be screwed out of depending on the stage.

4. Son1cgu1tar

Son1cgu1tar

I've seen some SA2(PC) level mods where the creator only changed the characters' and level's textures. Is anyone encouraged enough to create completely new levels ?

5. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    The tool set does not currently support creating levels for SA2 or SA2B.

6. ELS

ELS

I was playing this today and I was wondering if anyone had a fix for the draw distance. It's pretty abysmal the more I pay attention.

7. IndyTheGreat

IndyTheGreat

Fixed Water (SADX PC)
    Honestly, if there was a tool to allow level creation in SA2 PC, the first thing I would do it change the chao gardens over to the Dreamcast versions and not the Gamecube versions.

8. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Technically speaking, that doesn't require a level creation tool, just extracting the data from the Dreamcast version and getting the PC version to read it. It should be completely possible with the current tool set. Probably.

9. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Sorry to bump, but is there some sort of list anywhere of mods available for use in the Mod Loader? Curious what's out there.

10. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    There is no "master list" of all mods that anyone has ever made. My website and Morph's website have a decent percentage of the total mods made, probably, there's just a few other people who have made one or two mods.

Setting up a central list of mods is certainly possible, but it would require setting up a database, a submission system, and getting all the mod authors to register their mods on it, if you wanted to do it properly that is.

11. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    I feel like a repo on the Sonic Retro GitHub account would more than suffice and probably bring more visibility to the mods.

12. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    A repository... containing what, exactly? Source code? Not everyone will want to share that, and they really shouldn't be all in one repository. Binaries? That's not what Git is for. A list of links? A wiki page could do that just as easily.

13. ELS

ELS

If I use your chao stat multiplier combined with the one in the cheats section will it stack? Trying to jet through all the racing/karate as quickly as possible.

Also I noticed some odd behavior with the game's fullscreen in Windows 10. Sometimes the game will allow me to click my other monitor without minimizing the game. It's determined at boot but I don't know how to get that behavior to stick.

14. LoneDevil

LoneDevil

Eternal Underdog Member
    I'm well aware of being 2 years late but I've done some mesh swaps. There's issues such as Sonic's quill/spine physics left intact, Lacking correct running animation, and Fire Bracelet the only upgrade with proper textures.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGIBW5x7dUs

If only the event models can be edited for intro and cutscenes.

15. Tetraspore

Tetraspore

Hey all. Pretty new here. I'm an avid 3D Artist and Texture artist. Would anyone be interested in some costume re-designs for SA2? I have some original designs that stay fairly true to each characters style, but they're just a bit more detailed to offer some more "character" to each of the characters. For example, I have a Chao Walker Mech design which is centered around making the mech look more like a mech, as well as an Omochao Chao Walker. Anyway, I'm just trying to gauge interest here-- I think I'm gonna make these mods either way, this game needs some more costume mods.

Also, semi-related question, has anyone done anything as far as HD Stage Textures? I feel that, between that and forced AO, this game would look really nice.

Looking forward to contributing some additional quality to this community!

16. JansenM

JansenM

Devon, UK
    Generations mods
    Apologies if I'm retreading already trodden ground, but has there been any fix for this? It happens as soon as the skate ends and, as far as I can tell, is because the game is running on integrated graphics. I just got a new tablet and it's a bit crappy that the first level is obscured by a bloody tram.
    [​IMG]

17. Sable

Sable

Small thing - I edited the landing page for the ingame browser in the Dreamcast version to include internal links to download all of the DLC from the disc to your VMU.

[​IMG]

However, when you select Home Page from the menu, the game simply returns to the BIOS after displaying "Now Loading" in the corner for a split second. I have no idea what could be causing it, as both the main executable and the browser executable have been sufficiently binhacked, and SAIGO.bin has been edited to work with an 11702 LBA.

18. End User

End User

Supers Over Hedgehogs (SA2)
    This is most likely long overdue, but it's better late than never.

If you may recall, there was a mod created by ItsEasyActually a few years back that replaced Sonic and Shadow's models with those of their super forms, complete with proper textures and animations. You may also recall that Super Shadow in particular was problematic to implement in the PC version released the same year, as he would cause the game to instantly crash for then-unknown reasons. Since then, workarounds were created by others to give the impression that they were playing as Super Shadow, when in reality, they simply edited his normal textures to emulate the colors of his super form.

Those issues are now a thing of the past. I present to you, avid reader, the "Supers Over Hedgehogs" mod pack. Continuing on with ItsEasyActually's initial work, this mod pack was mainly designed to address some of the major issues that prevented it from working across all versions of Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. For starters, Super Shadow no longer crashes the game and minor texture issues that arose when his and Super Sonic's information was called simultaneously were corrected. Super Sonic even has a matching after-image model for his Light Dash.

[​IMG]

Here's a video of Super Shadow in action.

As an added bonus, the package also includes some optional UI edits to help sell the fact that you're playing as Super Sonic and Super Shadow, along with the Dreamcast models if that's your preferred beverage.

[​IMG]

If your first thought upon seeing DC Super Sonic was "I wish this would work with the Dreamcast version instead!", I've got you covered. The download link also includes a version of the files tailor-made for the Dreamcast version of Sonic Adventure 2. Yes, even the Battle models work with that version.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, as marvelous as it is that the models work with the original SA2, there are a few bugs that remain in all versions of the mod that I couldn't fix.

• In the Dreamcast version of the Battle Supers mod, Super Sonic/Shadow are given almost no lighting.
    • During the in-level cutscenes, Sonic and Shadow will appear with the torsos and eyes of their Super forms, but their hands and heads are unchanged.
    • Some fog effects won't work as intended when Super Sonic and Super Shadow are onscreen.
    • Story cutscenes and Sonic Adventure 2 Battle's 2P screen still use Sonic and Shadow's regular character models.
    • Super Shadow's afterimage model doesn't load in whenever he performs the Light Dash. This is a bug present in all versions of the game, even if no mods are installed.
    • In the Battle version of the Dreamcast Supers mod, Super Shadow lacks the red streaks on his quills for some reason. Fixed!

Aside from those errors, everything else should work fine for whichever version of the game you want to edit. Enjoy the mod!

Special thanks go out to MainMemory for the SA Tools program pack that allowed me to edit models/animations, and to ItsEasyActually for the initial release of the Super Sonic/Shadow mod released back in 2012.

19. Yuzu

Yuzu

I have a really stupid question, but did anyone fix the issue with the HD port where the sound mixing is absolutely atrocious? The sound effects are way louder in the game than they were in the Dreamcast version, to the point where they can drown out the music.

An example:

20. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    If you're on PC you can look on the Steam Discussions for the game, you'll find someone who uploaded a version of all the sound effect files with half of their regular volume. This made it much better to play. You'll have to do it again if you uninstall and reinstall the game at some point because it's file replacement rather than a mod, but still.
    EDIT: Did some digging to find it again, here's the 50% volume sound effects.