don't click here

SA2/SADX Mod Loader

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by MainMemory, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Oh, no way, I wasn't suggesting it be something you do. I imagine that if such a thing existed, people would add their own stuff to it. Like a Nexus Mods hub, but less full of garbage.

2. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Be careful here. SADX/SA2 mods typically load a .DLL, which allows for arbitrary code to be run as the current user.

Allowing anyone to publish a mod that automatically appears on the Mod Manager is a dangerous idea because of this.

3. CheatFreak

CheatFreak

Catgirl expert. Member
    I keep a curated list of reputable mods/mod pages at the bottom of the BetterSADX Steam Guide.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=299808681

If anyone creates new mods I haven't seen there, I'd be happy to add them to that list there.

For those unaware, BetterSADX is essentially a patch that turns the 2011 steam port into the 2004 port seamlessly and very very cleanly.
    It cleans up the messy steam port related files, replacing only what is necessary to make it like the 2004 port.
    The Mod loader included, and it's updated fairly infrequently with any new features the mod-loader includes and new pre-included mods as time goes on.
    Of course, there's nothing stopping you from manually updating stuff yourself once you install it.

BetterSADX only exists so the efforts of the SADX modders are more accessible to steam version players.
    Like modding the steam port without modding the steam port, you might say.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I mean someone could go hunting for good mods and create a google doc linking to the source of the download.

5. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    That's why I'm not a programmer and just some random loser on the internet who doesn't know what he's talking about! :ssh:
    For the record, I was just saying what I was thinking, which I do a lot. don't dig too deep into what I say. it is nice to know that now, though, so tanks.

6. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Why not make a proper page on ModDB? It's still a fairly active place for mods.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yea basically that's a source for the idea I suggested. Make a mod dump.

8. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxY-dKH2OS4

Spamdash replaced with roll, and as a test, implemented an air to ground roll equivalent to holding down in the classics. Probably coming within the next 20 years to a mod loader near you.

9. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    This is SUPER cool. I always wondered why they decided to have you be able to spindash while moving.

10. Lumanare

Lumanare

The man from the Stars Member
    Cant wait for this to be finished, so I can use it myself!

11. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    To be honest I think it'd be nice to at least be able to Spindash at a really low moving speed (while above a jog or run is roll), but this is very very nice and I've always wanted to see it in action.

Kudos SF94 8'y

12. Turbohog

Turbohog

I always felt that rolling should work more like that. Great work Morph!

13. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    The SADX Mod Loader now has support for ADX voices and sound effect folders.
    Having ADX voices fixes an issue where the game would lag when voices are played in rapid succession, as the following video demonstrates:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwxdJr8Y3eU
    To use sound effect folders, your folder must have the same name as the DAT file you are replacing, and the folder must contain an "index.txt" file with the name of a WAV file to be loaded on each line. The WAV files can be named anything you want, as the mod loader uses index.txt to generate the proper names in memory. ADX sound effects are not supported, as I don't know how the game plays sound effects, and the only advantage to ADX is compression.

Also, apparently the detection for non-WMA music in the default music folder was broken? So that's fixed now.

14. Ryuki

Ryuki

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything on it. :specialed:
    Is there a version of the Super Sonic mod out there that doesn't trigger the Open Your Heart instrumental when you transform?
    Additionally, I know this has been an issue since the earliest PC 2004 build model swaps, but has anybody found a fix for the gaps in the legs, arms, feet and hands when you've transformed into Super Sonic?

Any help would be greatly appreciated <3

15. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    SADX Mod Loader has been updated to use Microsoft Visual C++ 2015, so you'll need that redist now to use it.
    SADX Mod Manager now has an automatic update checker, and displays info about all the updates with a log of the git commit messages. It will not automatically install the updates, but it can open the URL for the 7z in your default browser and close itself so you can extract it.

Both these things coming to SA2, whenever.

16. CNGlucose

CNGlucose

United States
    Undisclosed
    In regards of the Chao World Extended modification over at chao.hippotank, are there any incompatibilities when copying over the latest version of the SA2 Mod Loader to replace the old version that's included within the aforementioned mod?

I do apologize if this is the wrong place to ask, I'm just not entirely sure if the developer behind that mod made any changes to any of the .DLL files that would effect the functionality of the mod if replaced with a more up-to-date version.

17. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    All future versions of the mod loader should be backwards compatible with all mods.

18. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    I'm gonna cash in both my "ignorance" and "entitlement" chips at once by asking this, but

Is there any technical reason why the SADX mod loader can't support the Steam version? The SA2 one does (because there's nothing else TO support), and it'd be nice not to need to track down a physical copy of a game I already own.

Even if it amounts to dragging the other version's executable into the folder!

19. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    There should be a mod somewhere for the Steam version that turns it into the 2004 version. No need to track down a physical copy. ...This is it.

20. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    For the same reason it only supports the US release of the 2004 version, because everything in the game's code and data has completely different addresses between the versions. In order for the mod loader to support every version of the game, we'd need to make different builds of the mod loader for each version that patch different addresses, and then we'd have to make different builds of each of the mods...

I made the decision even before the Steam version was released that I wouldn't be supporting it at all for hacking, and I'm glad that I did that, because not only would supporting it have required doing all the research again to find all the code/data that we already found in the 2004 version, and making two versions of the mod loader and the split inis, but then Sega updated it, so we'd have to start over from scratch AGAIN. + - I am so glad Sega hasn't updated SA2.  

It'd be kind of like asking for a version of Sonic 3 Complete that's based off an S3 disassembly, instead of an S&K one. A lot of work, for little to no gain.