don't click here

SADX/SA1 Hacking/Modding

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by MainMemory, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Sable

Sable

I wasn't aware it'd been posted elsewhere - JmT and I actually found it together earlier today and I added it to the page.

2. Jeffery Mewtamer

Jeffery Mewtamer

Blind Bookworm Member
    List of Japanese post codes... Does this hold the record for most random data file to find it's way on to a release game disc by mistake?

3. PkR

PkR

SADX Dreamcast Conversion, The Emeralds' Awakening
    Well that doesn't sound too random for a game with Internet connectivity, contests and stuff like that. Even today on many Japanese websites you can start typing your address by entering your postal code, and it will fill the street address for you automatically so you just have to add extra stuff like building/room numbers. Pretty sure it was used in a similar way in SA1, perhaps for giving out prizes etc.

4. Jeffery Mewtamer

Jeffery Mewtamer

Blind Bookworm Member
    Huh? Never heard of that, but if such is a common practice for filling out address forms online in Japan, I guess it makes sense for the game to include a local cache on disc. Never known websites to use Zip Code to determine City and State for US addresses, so it never occurred to me that foreign countries might do something like that.

5. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    It's common practice in the UK too.

6. What kind of animation technology was used in SA(DX)? People used to say how it's neither vertex or skeletal but "vector".
    What are typical dimensions for SA stage in meters?

7. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Well, there are vertex animations in SA1, like for the characters' mouths. The models in SA1 (and most Dreamcast games for that matter, it's an SDK format) are based on a hierarchy of "nodes", each of which has data for position, rotation, and scaling, an optional set of geometry to display, and a set of child nodes which will be offset from the parent node's transformation matrix. Animation is achieved by altering the position/rotation/scale of various nodes. You can apply a rotation to the node at the base of Sonic's arm, and his entire arm will rotate as a unit, and you can also apply a rotation to the node for Sonic's hand, and it will additionally rotate individually after the arm's rotation is applied.

8. I have the 2004 PC version of the game. I'm looking for a way to replace the voice clips with the ADX file versions. There is an ADX music mod, but there isn't a readily available one for the voice clips and I don't know how to obtain them.

9. PkR

PkR

If you have the Dreamcast version, you need to extract EVENT_ADX_US.AFS (or EVENT_ADX.AFS if you want Japanese voices) and you'll get the adx files. If you extract it with Puyo Tools, you'll also need to rename them so that they have 4 numbers in their names (e.g. 0000.adx to 2043.adx). After that, make a "voice_us" or "voice_jp" folder in the ADX music mod's system folder, make another "wma" folder inside (yeah it's a bit counter-intuitive, but it needs to be called wma) and paste your files there.
    Actually I have Dreamcast voices converted for use with the ADX Music mod, you can download them here.
    Here's a mod that adds ADX voices to SADX. It also includes ADX voice clips for Metal Sonic.

10. Thanks a lot! There won't be any instances of the game pausing for a brief moment now.

11. PkR

PkR

This was requested a very long time ago and I'm not sure if people are still interested in it, but after I got to know more about which COL flags mean what, I was able to figure out what was wrong with the ocean in the Egg Carrier Chao Garden.
    It appears that the function that animates the water is actually working, but the water object doesn't have the needed COL flag in the landtable's COL list. After setting the correct COL flags, the water is now animated like in the Gamecube version (though without the shader, obviously).
    Download the fix here

12. Speeps

Speeps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FPEtz-rC5s

I made a thing for SA1 that replaces Knuckles' voice with his E3 one (and he sounds like a Superhero with it).

I got all the ones I could find, although some of the lines were missing so some of his lines are still said in the final voice. Some lines either only seem to be there in Japanese (or in the case of one line, said by the wrong character) and a lot of them say slightly different things to normal but otherwise it's just Knuckles but weirder sounding.

Here's the AFS file for it:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/h14cvgv0rqdbyfz/EVENT_ADX_US.AFS (get the MLT here)

And here's the individual voices for use in SADX. You'll need the ADX mod to get them working though:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/oh97jkbuio5iyax/E3_Knuckles_Voices.zip

You don't need to replace anything for his sound effects in SADX because for some reason that game already uses the E3 Trial's sounds instead of the ones used in the final game. What's going on there?

13. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Using ADX voices in the PC version doesn't require a mod, it's a feature of the mod loader itself.

14. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Ahahaha, right in that first cutscene, that's where they clipped the "oh no" sample used in his boss fight in Sonic and Tails' game.

15. Turbohog

Turbohog

Wow, did they record all of Knuckles' dialogue with the E3 voice before they switched voice actors?

16. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    Prrreeeetty sure it's still the same actor, just rerecorded with different direction.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So I finally made good on my word from ages ago and made my HUD update mod:

[​IMG]

https://mega.nz/#!ixVmWBxQ!yCUSxPDrCOZT2otGge9qY2wIQwnyU4vq_s9M9G42fHI

I'm not going to bother posting in game pics of the icons in action, they're all fine (Well, except for the 1, 15, 20, and 40 ring icons being a little off. I'm tired now I'll deal with it later). All these good DC mods lately inspired me to do a little touch up of my own. This was always something that bugged me in SADX, you have updated models but they didn't bother updating the icons. Hell the item icons for Sonic were all Classic Sonic related and didn't even make sense in the Dreamcast version. So I just used the artwork instead. I also used the Sonic Channel artwork of Metal Sonic to make new icons for him as well, as the ones they made for the port were out of place and still awful. I might make a few touch ups in the future, but this was just something I made for me mostly. But if you do encounter any issues let me know. Enjoy!

Also just be aware when using this with the DC Branding mod that a file in that mod overwrites one of the files in this mod. I made a SADX and a SA DC variant of said file so that it can be used with either vanilla SADX or with the DC mods.

18. Turbohog

Turbohog

That link has a "decryption key". You need to edit the settings you have for the file.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ah, thank you kindly. I haven't used this service in ages and mixed up the wording. Link should work now.

20. PkR

PkR

Thank you, those look fantastic. I have a couple of suggestions:

1. There are two versions of digits in CON_REGULAR_E. The digits used in HUD are caled "snum_x". I replaced them with "digitx" found in the same PVM and I think it looks pretty nice:
    [​IMG]
    Those would work great with your HUD. What do you think?
    I only did the code and the title screen for the DC Branding mod, so I didn't know what was there in those PVMs.
    (On a second thought, I think the default SADX digits look good enough with proper scaling done automatically by the Mod Loader).
    2. You make a fair point that the capsule icons don't match the actual models, but I believe it was intentional as it's kind of like a symbolic representation of a 1-up, which traditionally has always been the side view of the character's head rather than the avatars used for life icons in SA1/SADX. Your mod makes them look the same. I wouldn't mind "modernized" item icons for 1-ups, but I think this distinction should be preserved.
    Also, this is what Sonic's SA1 model looks like without textures, which I think matches the capsule icon quite well.
    [​IMG]