don't click here

THE KEN PENDERS CHRONICLES: a man you Ken DePenders on

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The KKM, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    He did win? How?

2. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    They settled. Thanks to Archie's aforementioned terrible record keeping or their evidently incompetently written contracts.

Basically, Penders claimed that the contract that he was under while at Archie did not specify that the characters he created were not owned by Archie or Sega. Archie was unable to produce any paperwork that proved otherwise, so he more or less won the case.

The second portion, the part where creators contracted by Archie would get royalties for every time their work was reproduced seems to be the portion in contention. I don't remember if Penders won that portion, or if he went to court to win it. But I believe that is what the other creator is going to court to attempt. And again, because Archie's contracts in the 90's sound like they might as well have been written with crayons on cocktail napkins, it certainly seems that he has a high chance of winning.

I welcome people more up to date on this stuff to correct anything I got wrong here, but that's my understanding of how it went.

3. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    If I recall, it's Scott Fulop that's started the case based on what Ken Penders has done, with Mammoth Mogul and various other characters in use. At this point they may as well just jettison anything to do with the issues before Worlds Collide and be done with it, no reprints, no digital distribution, just clean slate the thing. Then when the arseholes come knocking for checks, they can just give them a sum and tell them to f[inlinespoiler]uck[/inlinespoiler] right off, no more royalties for you.

4. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Honestly those ones are worse. Penders is to blame for a lot of things, but following up on a commission that happens to be creepy is all on the furry that requested it.

5. Tylinos

Tylinos

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/809940917427675136
    https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/809941681923444736

I'm almost impressed that he managed to make extending an olive branch sound extremely condescending and dismissive toward everything that came after he left.

6. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    The degree to which Ken is able to delude himself is so incredible that it's nearly a super power.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Lolol former glory? Nah were better off without Knuckles Jesus thanks.

8. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    Of course! Who needs Sonic the Hedgehog in his own comics? Let's just throw in three or four thousand echidnas, all of which are way more important than the title character! Ken needs echidnas! In that way, we can restore the series to its full splendor!/s

9. Fuck him, we just need Finitevus back. //forums.sonicretro.org/public/style_emoticons/default/colbert.png

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Actually I did enjoy Finitevus, I wouldn't mind seeing him back.

Maybe Flynn can see if he can get access to Sonic the Comic characters and just use Zachary or whatever :specialed:

11. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    And he'll consider it if he gets to work with some specifically requested and /only/ lovely lady artists =P

Oh Ken, whaddayoulike?

I'm surprised he didn't offer his own artsy skills, but I suppose he's farfarfar to busy doing his Lara-su Chronicles... When is that out btw? =P

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I feel like that post was Penders way of saying "Make Sonic great again" :specialed:

13. Tylinos

Tylinos

Actually, Ian did get permission to use the Brotherhood of Metallix from Nigel Kitching. Sadly, though, Ian later said that he decided against using them because of (I think) the potential legal confusion that'd create for Archie after all the Ken nonsense. (I can't figure out where he mentioned that part, though. Might've been a Bumblekast episode?)

Well, if you believe Ken when he first announced it, it's "COMING SOON IN 2012".

Also, cross-posting from the Stadium thread:

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/810294329776275457
    No, Ken, this is you once again setting up for the chance to say later that Archie didn't want to play ball in the end and it's all their fault, while still not mentioning the part where you want payment for the use of your characters. (Which Archie/Sega wouldn't get much of a return-on-investment from doing, except maybe as a one-off "HEY BUY THIS ISSUE" thing.)

Also, I wouldn't really consider insulting the series by saying it needs to return to its former glory "playing nice".

14. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Man, if they can get a thing worked out, that would be a crossover I would jump hoops to get. Imagine Sonic the Comic Sonic mocking New Archie Sonic.

15. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    And concequently Archie characters looking at StC characters and going WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR FACE :specialed:

It's interesting. Ken really believes his series was superior to what Archie had the moment he left. If anything, the "former glory" of the comic was actually a few issues before his legal disputes ducked everything up and invalidated the setup Flynn had with StJohn and Nagus, which was legitimately cool. Of course, since Flynn's specialty is taking cerebral seqage and turning it into well-executed good ideas (he is a Sonic fan after all), he happened to be using one of Penders' thousands of shitty inserts into the comic and making something interesting with it.

I think I might be more upset at Archie for not having the legal information they should have than I am at Ken for going through with this. I'm upset with him for sure, but this was only allowed to happen because of Archie not covering their bases :c

16. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    Jeez really? Even if he only produced 1 page a week and actually started in 2012, he's have a 200+ page graphic novel by now.

17. TailsAddict

TailsAddict

BANNED Oldbie
    I never liked Sonic comics, I only started reading Sonic Comics recently because of the Old-styled Sonic 2 comic. I liked it.

After reading up on the history of sonic comics, glad this Prenders guy is gone from the sonic comic scene.

total Original-Character-Donut-Steel Cancer

Absolutely Haram

18. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    You know seeing as the Genesis mini arc caught your eye, why not try giving the reboot a shot? the reboot starts at Sonic #252 and Universe #55.

19. Tylinos

Tylinos

Normally I'd prefer not to bring Ken's political beliefs into the thread, since I really don't think they're relevant by themselves, but he did just have a political exchange worth mentioning for other reasons:

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/811057729364062208
    https://twitter.com/slurjkblohm/status/811399833323978752
    https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/811400408547528704

Good to know that Ken thinks of the people of Wisconsin, Michigan, and my home state of Pennsylvania as scum that should be written off and given no sympathy. Classy as always.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I really don't want this to turn into a discussion on his politics. The only reason I brought this up is because of what he said there, not his political leanings.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Knowing Ken voted for Hillary almost makes me feel a little better that she lost :v: