don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    ^ This. I don't understand it. It came back for Sonic 4 and now for Mania. Is there some secret contract that this now has to be used for X number of 2D games? It's the most misplaced sound since the Sonic 4 spindash sounds. This was the one Jingle that followed the main theme until Sonic 3D Blast Gen/MD ruined everything.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I like the Sonic 3 1-up jingle. I think it's fun :specialed:

I find it kind of funny though, for a game with a litany of music licensing issues they can just grab this jingle and the game over theme and use them over and over again.

3. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Yeah, I'll agree with this. It's an unusual choice. There's much bigger things that could be wrong with game than a 3-second jingle, but so long as we're going to nitpick the littlest things (and why not?), I'd rather the SK jingle or an entirely new one. It's not as if it matters though.

4. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Other then liking to know if the Retro engine could handle sped up tracks like Sonic's 1-3 can from a technical standpoint, I really don't care otherwise. were used to either/or since adventure it doesn't matter at this point so long as its not jarring.

5. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Surely it can do something of the sort, as the mobile versions of Sonic 1 and 2 did just this. I don't know how it was achieved, whether the music in those games was real-time synth or streamed, but I was under the impression it was the latter based on its fancy new mastering and generally sounding leagues better than the original.

edit: when I skim, I don't know how to read. sonicblur literally just said this a page ago.

6. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    I think sonicblur already mentioned it on the last page?

7. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    The TrackName_F variants still had the choppy compression that comes with increasing a track's speed without the pitch. It didn't sound as natural and smooth as the real-time synth-style of a real Genesis/MD (or emulators) or if you worked with the samples in a workstation/DAW. I totally get you can only do so much work in so much time, and I'd rather have a separate Speed Shoes track like in CD if only to prevent my inner perfectionist from raging when I know the other option just isn't feasible because Sega.

8. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    The only issue I found with live time stretching is when you're dealing with percussion, specifically base drums because the waveform is higher at the attack than it is at release, thus making interpolation much more erratic when the tempo is manipulated. A theory I have on how to avoid that compression/alising effect is to use and export audio at a higher sample rate than CD quality audio then the live time stretching will mask the interpolation that can be picked up with the human ear due to the extra digital information.

9. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I'm not too hot on the speed shoes music (the tune doesn't really stand out much to me) but I can co-sign this. To a lesser extent, this also goes for the S3&K Act Clear / Chaos Emerald Earn as well.

Honestly, I'm rather bummed that a fair amount of the Sonic 1/2 jingles in particular that aren't the invincibility or drowning music haven't been used at all, especially in games where Sega does fork out royalties money to use or remix the original music for those games. When was the last time we heard the 1-Up, Game Over, or the Act Clear / Chaos Emerald Earn from those games?

On a different note, IGN has finally gotten around to uploading their new Studiopolis footage to YouTube (though for some reason, they didn't use a in-game screenshot like the other Mania videos they've done, so have a placeholder screenshot of the later Sonic design on a blurred Green Hill BG). Rather impressed with the hidden spring that takes you to a higher route around 1:10. They have yet to put up the Knuckles Sandopolis footage with the short Knuckles-exclusive route and Speed Shoes music though.

10. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    The Chaos Emerald Earn jingle has been used for 1-ups since like Sonic Unleashed in just about every 3D sonic game.

11. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    I'm a bit miffed as to why they keep re-using (remixing) the act-clear & extra life music from Sonic 3. I like Mania's act-clear jingle but surely it can't be that hard to come up with new stuff. I just hope all the other music (aside from the re-imagined zones) is brand new.

I didn't know Sandopolis is in Sonic Mania :P

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    While I don't mind the 1-up jingle changing, I actually think the act-clear from Sonic 3 is the definitive end stage music for Sonic and should be for every Sonic game. Idk, to me anyway something seems off if something else is in its place.

Kirby keeps the same end of level music, why not Sonic :eng101: it's iconic.

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Don't forget it was also the focus of the 20th Anniversary logo, which was EVERYWHERE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLpXXerZkQ

14. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    I prefer the Sonic 3 act clear music to the Sonic 1 and 2 act clear musics, myself.

15. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It bugs more that the 3D games from Unleashed onward (excluding Generations) don't use the S3 act clear jingle. '06 gave us an orchestrated version, and I think even ShTH remixed it. The series has very few staple tracks and sound effects, so any consistency in the area is a good thing really. It's just that the S3 1up jingle is meh, and makes me think of S4.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Nah Shadow had its own act clear jingle.

17. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I've never quite been able to tell. It's similar-ish, but you're probably right in that just a coincidence because of what is for. Either way, all the 3D Sonic games used a variation of the same tune until Unleashed.

18. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    Yeah, dude, making video games is easy.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    If anything actually I think Shadows end act theme sounds more like Sonic 1 and 2s. But Shadow is a spinoff, so it having its own jingles is perfectly fine and almost expected.

20. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Its an "edge" remix of it but its basically the same clear jingle.