don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Sonic team doesn't consider the super emeralds to be canon.

2. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    They said this at around about the same time as they said "Classic Sonic isn't returning".

3. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Neat non-sequitur

4. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    The Super Emeralds are not canon.

5. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Well, for something CONFIRMED non-canonical like that, the Super Emeralds sure did show up recently.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAE600uOjAs[/youtube]

Seriously, no amount of cool callbacks would surprise me with Mania. I'm hyped (HAHAHAH) to see what they come up with.

6. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Sonic Team saying the super emeralds are not canon doesn't tell us anything, because they also said Classic Sonic wasn't returning.

Which part of that does not follow? Would you like it in a more rigorous form?

You argued ("Sonic Team said the super emeralds weren't canon" implies "there won't be super emeralds in this game") is true.
    I responded ("Sonic Team said Classic Sonic won't return" implies "Classic Sonic won't be in this game") has been proven false.
    It follows (as in, sequitur) that ("Sonic Team said X won't return" implies "X won't be in this game") has been proven false.
    Therefore, ("Sonic Team said the super emeralds weren't canon" implies "there won't be super emeralds in this game") is a statement that has no grounds.

Which part of that does not follow?

Sonic Team saying the super emeralds aren't canon tells us nothing about whether the super emeralds will be in this game. They may have changed their minds like they changed their minds about Classic Sonic. Maybe Sonic Mania isn't canon. Maybe Sonic Mania takes place simultaneously with both Sonic's and Knuckles' stories in Sonic 3 because we all know they both take place at the same time because Sonic Team said so, even though the game strongly implies otherwise.

7. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    :O

That's amazing! I didn't know Lego Dimensions had Super Emeralds. Hopefully that means that Iizuka simply pulled an Iizuka, and the Super Emeralds are in fact canon.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I hope Sonic Mania makes the Super Emeralds canon again, if Sonic Team doesn't consider them as such for some nonsensical reason.

A second, harder round of Special Stages could be a nice thing to have if they're fun to play.

9. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    This is not debatable.

The Super Emeralds are not canon. Sonic Mania is canon.

Read the above sentence again. Then, read it a third time. Then, don't reply, because the Super Emeralds are not canon.

10. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Silly Slingerland. Sonic 3 & Knuckles is canon which means the Super Emerald are canon. They probably won't ever appear again in a 2d classic, but they are canon and nothing will ever change this :V

I'll be happy if we just get the normal emeralds and some bad-ass Super forms. Knowing Taxman the Super Emeralds will probably appear at least in debug-mode. You never know the time-stones might also make an appearance in the Sonic CD re-imagined stages.

11. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    You guys are really dense, huh?

12. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Does it really matter what's canon and what's not? The Sonic "canon" is already a huge mess anyways, at this point it's something that you don't even need to think about.

13. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Super Emeralds can't be canon while Knuckles' portion of the game is canon. Choose one or the other.

I know Sonic is the poor man's Dragonball, but God damn the canon arguments are on a whole other level with us.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    The Super Emeralds are a big part in Sonic & Knuckles' plot. How can such thing not be canon, Iizuka's words words words be damned.

Wait wait, what?

15. Aquova

Aquova

Professional nerd in training Member
    USA
    That's how I feel about things being canon or not. It's an important thing to consider if you are looking at a series that references past plot points from older games, but except for a few cases, Sonic games are stand-alone, where what did or didn't happen in the past isn't relevant. Sonic Team members can say whatever they want in interviews, but that won't impact how I view the series or possibilities in upcoming games. If the Sonic Mania team want Super Emeralds in, then they'll put them in. I couldn't care less if that automatically makes the game non-canon.

16. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    Guys, I know that canon in Sonic games is pretty much nonexistent, but in Sonic 1-2-3 Chaos Emerald looked like this:

[​IMG]

Then the Super Emerald looked like this:

[​IMG]

While current Chaos Emerald look like this:

[​IMG]

And yes, we only see them from one side in S1/2/3, so maybe the sprites aren't a good way to check their correct shape, but I can't be the only one that thinks modern chaos emerald are the super emeralds, right? Maybe they never turned back after S3K and the characters just call them chaos emeralds out of habit.

17. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Only getting the all the Chaos Emeralds with Sonic (and I believe Tails as well) in S3K triggers the after credits scene where Egg Robo rises from the pile of other smashed Egg Robos. Super Emeralds ending gives the logo after credits scene. So if the last Egg Robo doesn't set those events for Knuckles' campaign in motion, then it didn't happen. So it's one or the other.

18. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I don't think the Super Emerald's title screen ending really means anything canon-wise. It always seems more like a "Thanks For Playing" ending reserved for players who decided to do a 100% completion run of the game by collecting both sets of the emeralds. I'm also sure those who did a 100% completion run of the game would have very likely already beaten the game with just the Chaos Emeralds and seen the Eggrobo ending anyway.

19. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans

20. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    The only reason why super emeralds exists is because Sonic & Knuckles had their own separate special stages, since of course Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles were sold separately. I wouldn't have wanted to replay the same Special Stages that appear in Sonic 3 in Sonic & Knuckles alone, and probably lots of people wouldn't have liked that either. So therefore, they had to come up with something extra when Sonic 3 is connected to S&K. I don't really see them making a return in a main Sonic game, I'd say they'll return whenever we get an official game called Sonic Adventure 3. :P