don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Flygon

Flygon

And as usual, Australia still gets nothing. :psyduck:

2. Aquova

Aquova

Professional nerd in training Member
    USA
    So... I'm going to ask what may be a very stupid question, but what is stopping non-Americans from purchasing the American version then having it shipped overseas? I didn't want to fully complete the transaction, but does Amazon not allow that item to be shipped to other countries? Sure, you may end up with a code that isn't valid, but I'd rather buy the cheaper special edition then buy/trade for a second code then pay over $100 for it.

3. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    The shipping cost? It was about 40$ when I tried to pre order mine.

4. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Nah, Nothing's stopping you. In fact, I had the American version pre-ordered before I switched to a Europe version pre-order. It didn't work out that much different in cost, since the overseas shipping added a good chunk to the price. It's a pay-more/pay-more situation regardless. ;)

Regarding the code (on PS4 anyway), you can set up multiple region accounts on the same console to redeem any code, so that's not too much of an issue either.

in the end though, I think you're paying more-or-less the same whether it's from the US with overseas shipping, or the more expensive EU version (with free/cheaper shipping), so it's really up to you to work out what's best.

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

IIRC to get the CE from America, you'd pay the same including shipping. And then on top of that you'd have to add the import fees, go through whatever hassle there would be stemming from using a foreign choose and finally get the game later due to the overseas transit. There's really no reason to order it from America if you're in Europe - you'd end up much worse off.

I get the impression that Europe is being shafted on this one because we're getting so few units. Initially, SEGA wouldn't even confirm that it was coming out over here, and when they did it cane with the news that there would be no PC version. Strings must have been pulled to get us the CE in the first place.

6. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    I think it's dickish how certain places get shafted. It seems a bit of a dumb decision. Surely dropping the price would reel in some more interest and customers who thought £80 was a bit much. I, for one, nearly didn't place a pre-order because of the high price and lack of physical copy.

This isn't the first time something like this happened either. What were Sega thinking to release the Generations CE available in the US?

7. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    For anyone curious, my Amazon order did automatically lower to $59.49. It also still has a placeholder date of May 31, 2017. That's not even a Tuesday or a Friday, so I am convinced it's a placeholder date. Honestly, they said Spring 2017, and if it's to put the finishing touches on I'll wait until June 20th for release if I have to.

8. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Complaining about $15 seems quite trivial to those of us who have to go out and buy a new console just to play this game (and no I don't want to play it on PC).

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well I mean what do you expect. The Wii U is pretty much dead (and will be when this is released) and they don't really make PS3/Xbox 360 games anymore. New games come out on current consoles, that's just how it's always been.

10. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    ... "new console" as in, new to me. I never intended to purchase a PS4 or Xbox one. Why you would assume I'm talking about a last-gen console is beyond me...

AND it still wouldn't change the fact that $15 is still a trivial amount of money as compared to someone who has to purchase an entire console just for a single game. To be even more explicit... if you are someone who plays multiple games on a current gen console then you are someone who is getting your monies worth for your investment, and in which instance $15 is still a trivial some of money.

By contrast I have to spend the $15 more, plus ~$600 for a current gen console.

Therefore, for someone in my position, $15<<< $615.

11. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Or you could just suck it up and play it on a PC which is superior to every gaming console ever made. Also if you're a member of Retro you're probably into hacking Sonic games which is a whole heck of a lot easier to do on a PC. I can't think of a single reason why anyone here would rather buy a $600 console simply to play a game that will work (probably better) on their computer.

12. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    First, I guarantee you that the majority (50% + 1) of members on this site are not hacking Sonic games.

Second, "PC is superior to every gaming console ever made". Hyperbole aside, this assumes my PC's graphical prowess is superior to a current gen console.

Third, I use Mac.

Fourth, a PC set-up of similar quality to a current gen console would likely cost in excess of $600.

Fifth, I personally just want to play the game on my 65" 4K OLED TV, and surround sound system. To me this is preferential to a PC.

Sixth, your point about how you are a PC-game-modding-guy is mute, because $15 is still trivial in comparison to having to purchase a new console, which is my personal situation.

Now who else would like to try and discredit my statement?

13. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

You make some fair points, but what are you actually complaining about? You don't HAVE to buy a new console to play this.

1) You're probably right but it's not really relevant
    2) This game will probably play on a potato; it's not a graphically intensive game
    3) Bootcamp has been around for over a decade
    4) See point #2
    5) You don't have to buy a console. You may want one to play it to your specifications, but you don't have to.
    6) All amounts of money are relative and thus relatively trivial

14. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork

15. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

Oh I don't really care at all. I'm just in a debating mood. //forums.sonicretro.org/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png

"Is it not objectively true that $15 is a drop in the bucket compared to the purchase no a new console"
    not objectively true. 2.5% might be really low, but it could be really large.

I agree that I prefer to play games on a console with a TV, but what you're saying is you "need to buy a new console" and the fact is that you don't. It will run on what you have.

16. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    This is Sonic Friggin' Mania we are talking about, experiencing this game in the best format possible IS A NEED!

17. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

Haha, OK I can agree with that.

18. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I dunno what kind of Mac you've got, but it'd have an HDMI port, wouldn't it? Just get a big damn cable, "acquire" a copy of Windows, find a controller that suits you and go to town. A pain in the ass? Sure. Cheaper than buying a new console? Almost definitely. Time VS Money and all that.

I mean, unless you've got other games you want to pick up for either system.

19. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    You don't need Windows. Sonic CD runs perfectly on Mac via WINE, which is free. I realize that Mania is 5 years newer, but ultimately it's not going to require top of the line hardware to run. (They likely won't, but they should just do a Mac port. Unless things have changed a lot since Sonic 2 iOS, they've already ported most of the pieces at some point.)

20. You can easily connect any modern PC to any modern TV without problems. A decent laptop can probably be used to play Mania the way you want to, and might be more useful in the long run than a game console that'll be used for a single game. Or you could just connect your Mac to your TV like it's been suggested. Either way, the result will probably be indistinguishable from a console running the game through the same TV.