don't click here

Buyatari's Sonic Art Pics

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Buyatari, Apr 29, 2013.

1. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    Sorry to harp on about it, but I don't quite understand how the original artist could be upset about "his" images being used without permission. I don't know the specifics, but it's likely that the ownership of the image belongs to the copyright holder/game company (in these cases, Sonic belongs to Sega). The artist doesn't get to "own" anything, and has surrendered his rights in regards to profits from bootleg merchandise of "their" images when they don't "own" them. In fact, selling the sketches and original art is probably just as copyright infringey as the bootlegged merchandise.

Awesome images by the way.

2. It's not so much the idea that the artist is pissed that his personal property was stolen, it's the idea that he sold this artwork to the dude and he assumed the dude turned around to make a quick buck off it without offering to cut some of the profits with the artist. Imagine you're a an artist on Deviant Art and you find out your Sonic the Hedgehog fan art is being sold on poorly made t-shirts, yeah you don't own the rights to Sonic but still you put time and effort into that drawing and someone else is making cash off it for nothing.

My mind is blown at how entitled you feel you are to see this artwork. Buyatari didn't have to post these pictures at all, seriously I thought internet douchebaggery went out of style in 2003. And this is coming from the dude who had sex on a sonic bed and wrote a kotaku article about it for christ's sake.

3. Vangar

Vangar

Well he did sell it to him, they should have been more careful about what rights he received with the purchase?

4. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    any transfer of rights from the artist would be voided by the copyright holder anyway. The artist can be upset, but he/she doesn't have a leg to stand on.

5. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    [​IMG]

6. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    Great stuff!! I remember a few random Sonic merchandise items from back in the early 1990's - all of which have been dumped over time :argh:

Thanks for sharing

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Wait a second... isn't that the Clock Work Zone? :O

8. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Isn't that just Scrap Brain?

(Considering how different the rest of the art looks compared to the game)

9. David The Lurker

David The Lurker

For some mysterious reason... Administrator
    It was also used as the cover to one of the issues of the classic gaming magazine SEGA VISIONS. It even contained the maps to the first two levels in that issue! Or maybe it was the following issue. Either way. Um.

[​IMG]

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Looks more like this to me than the final level...

Also, other stuff in those drawings could have been taken from early versions of the game. For example, it's possible to make a green Catakiller by just changing his pallete index, so it might not have been just the artist's creativity at work.

11. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I doubt that. If the signatures on the back are correct, they were made in 1993, two years after Sonic 1 was released. Why show him some beta screens? Also, look at the final boss piston there and the enormous random spiked ball in Marble zone.... Coincidences CAN happen. Also, green Motobug.

12. Better pictures of a few of the Sonic packaging design Paintings.

Sonic 2 advertising

[​IMG]

Sonic CD

[​IMG]

Mean Bean Machine

[​IMG]

Gamegear Sonic Adventure

[​IMG]

13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Hang on, did we know the author of "ass-face Sonic" was this bloke. I certainly didn't, and it could be pretty significant

EDIT: Maybe I should shut my big mouth and read the topic properly

14. Here are three original Greg Martin Sonic cover paintings that I thought were pictured here but have since disappeared from the thread. Not sure what happened to the old links above.

These three paintings are originals that Greg sold me before he passed away. These are the originals. Not copies or prints.

Greg would shrinkwrap all his artwork for trade shows where he tried to sell his work. You might notice a Flintstones sticker in the corners.
    He would write his asking price on those Flintstones stickers. Luckily (for me) these three never made it that far.
    I do sometimes think about the pieces that he did sell at those shows before I met him. Someone out there could have one of his game covers just sitting in a closet with no idea what they really have.
    Antiques Roadshow discovery in the making.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the backs of these paintings he would often attach promotional flyers and postcards that contained images of his published work and his contact information.

[​IMG]

15. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Definitely jealous of you having the US Sonic CD box art painting original; that was one of my favorite box arts as a kid. :v:

Great collection though, it's good to see these being preserved somewhere.

16. Thank you for the kind words.
    It is one of my favorites as well.
    I just loved the soundtrack on this game. Wonder if anyone else out there would ever play the cd in a radio without playing the game.

17. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Hmm. A Flintstone sticker on officially drawn Sonic artwork, and from the early 90's? What else have we seen so far that's Flintstone-related?

Let's take a look at #moreclues

Please excuse the crudity of this meme. I didn't have time to make a dank video of it and to paint it.

And thanks a lot for posting those excellent art pieces.

18. Better pic of promotional Sonic Megaman piece.

[​IMG]

More Sonic board game art work. The rings are on the acetate. The rest of the art is on the board.
    The board game art is by Greg Winters not Greg Martin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sonic #1 promotional comic cover art by Greg Martin.
    This comic predates the Archie Sonic series and considered a rare comic book by comic book collectors.
    http://www.recalledcomics.com/SonicTheHedgehog1Promo.php

[​IMG]

19. Piggybank

Piggybank

I remember seeing a lot of this artwork over the years from a variety of sources, although I never put much thought into how the artwork would have been made. Getting to see the originals though really helps me realize just how much work and skill would have been needed to create them.

Thank you for taking these photos and sharing a glimpse into your collection!

20. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Stupid question alert, but like, are these images like the legitimate originals? Like these artists put a paint brush/air brush to this media?

Second question, how did you obtain these, and so many?

Third question, are you willing to sell any of these?