don't click here

Daytona 3 Championship USA

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by TimmiT, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I can't tell if there's an H-pattern or not, is what I'm alluding to. Figured he was seeing something I wasn't.

2. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

I'm sorry.

3. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Pic is fairly high res, save it and zoom in on cabinet 2. Although I can see it without zooming in due to my (forever thankful) superior eyesight :P

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Damn look at those graphics.

5. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Hands-on (among other upcoming arcade cabs).

As far as the shifter talk in here goes:

So there you go?

6. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Hey I have 20/20 vision buddeh :argh:

I thought it looked like a two-way shifter, but figured they might be using black gates that are just hard to see. Didn't think about zooming in, which makes that look much less likely.

But like Shadow Hog said, could still change.

7. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Well, Arcade Heroes, not myself, but still

8. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlAvZFrtDSI

Nice to see Mitsuyoshi being back but holy shit this game looks ugly. Like not just when it comes to the graphical effects, it just lacks the aesthetic and style that made the first two Daytona games look so good. Hope it plays well at least.

9. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    > ugly

Maybe it's just my low standards but this is anything but ugly to me

10. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    Apparently Sonic's missing from the cliff and the fruit machine is missing from 777 Speedway. It's like they're actively trying to make this look as bland as possible.

I wonder if Daytona have asked them to dial it back as part of the licensing agreement or something. Total mistake. The aesthetic is part of the charm.

11. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    I don't think it looks ugly, it looks good for an arcade.

12. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

It's not trying to be groundbreaking or state of the art like the previous two were in their days, but it looks colourful and fun and Sega and that's good enough for me.

Alo this is in Beta form right now, so while I don't expect a major overhaul by launch I hope to at least see Sonic chiseled back into that mountain side. :P

13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    No it's definitely a bland looking game in comparison to something like Daytona USA 2. Which was released in 1998. 18 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GGrO6Zzyx0

But Sega Amusements do have form on this - you can feel it in games like Sega Rally 3 and the Daytona USA sans Daytona from a couple of years ago. Smaller firms going for niche markets is a far cry from the Namco/Sega prime time 3D polygon innovation explosion hour.

Warning signs were when classic tracks were being advertised as a feature. NEW TO DAYTONA 3: DAYTONA 1

14. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Yeah it's definitely not as full of little details like 2 had, looks almost like a remake of the first one in spots, but could certainly do with some extra polish. Nice to see the 'Virtua Inn' is back with additional details in one shot, heh.

This is attempt no.2 to get Dayona back in arcade again as the original cabinets are finally starting to dry up (though I still know a couple places that have it). Sega Racing Classic simply didn't add enough to intrice arcade owners to upgrade, whereas this looks like a remake + some extra stuff.

Still looking forward to seeing more either way.

15. [media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDH4kqp4aPw[/media]

Some more footage :D loud Takenobu warning.

16. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Arcade heroes have put out some extended gameplay footage (still offscreen of course). Looks like the physics engine/how it plays is very much identical to the original game.

17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I was going to say that track looked bland until I realised it was the official Daytona one (i.e. it's based on a real (bland) place).

Frankly it looks a bit half finished - tracks are empty and there are visible frame rate drops too. It lacks the grace of the 90s Arcade Racer.

18. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Er... that's not Daytona National Speedway. That's very clearly just Three-Seven Speedway with a different coat of paint. Daytona's much more symmetrical than that.

This sort of makes it confusing as to why Three-Seven Speedway is even in this game, right next to it as a separate track, when the track layout is exactly the same. Look at the maps for each on the track selection, they're nigh-identical.

19. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

It is half finished, assuming adding in the last two tracks are not all they are going to do between now and its release in April. Even the cabinet design is not quite complete yet apparently.

I hope 90's Arcade racer actually comes out one day haha.

20. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie

Not to mention real life Daytona is a large 2.5 mile tri-oval and would take well over 40 seconds to complete a lap.