don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    Throwing my hat in the ring for Flying Battery Zone. Best music in Sonic & Knuckles, decent gimmick variety, and since it's an airship you could literally place it anywhere in the game. :eng101:

2. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

I do rather like S3&K but when it comes to airship zones Sonic 2's Wing Fortress Zone is what I'd go for.

3. Lozicle

Lozicle

If the final level is another remix stage, I'd like to see a proper Sonic 2 Death Egg Zone.

4. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    So I did my little write up about why I want Collision Chaos to be in Mania, last night...

And when I woke up this morning, I was INSIDE Collision Chaos.

IT'S A SIGN! :v:

[​IMG]

5. Aquova

Aquova

Professional nerd in training Member
    USA
    I'm going to also cast my vote for Collision Chaos, not only for my personal preference, but also because I think it's the logical choice.

Palmtree Panic and Tidal Tempest are both good levels, but not as good as Green Hill Zone or Hydrocity, which I think are more likely to get in.

Stardust Speedway is the most iconic level, but Acts 1 and 2 are rather dense and convoluted, it's only Act 3 that's really iconic. I'd rather have Metal Sonic put in as the boss of other Sonic CD levels than redoing Stardust Speedway.

Out of the other levels, Collision Chaos is the most vibrant and memorable. That being said, I'm not crazy about the pinball boss and I wouldn't be sad to see that not return.

6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Much as I love Collision Chaos, it's thematically similar to both Mirage Saloon and Studiopolis and even has a number of the same gimmicks. Definitely not the right choice for variety.

7. MissingNoGuy

MissingNoGuy

Sounds totally automated. Member
    Did a dev state there would be another returning zone? Or are we speculating?

8. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    They actually said there would be more returning/remade zones compared to fully new zones like Studiopolis or Mirage Saloon.

It has also been said that returning zones would come from Sonic 1-2-3&K-CD only (I think).

9. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Chaos Collision is my 2nd favorite zone in Sonic CD, and the only "pinball" level in the series I honestly love.

10. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    So because we a getting a ton of old levels, are there any Sonic levels that are prohibited from being used? I mean I would love some 8bit levels and maybe some obscure levels from the series, like Sonic Pinball.

11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It's only the five main 16-bit titles

12. AmbientPixels

AmbientPixels

I am emotionally wrecked Member
    Indiana
    A Sonic Comic Project,
    I'd like to say that the announcement of this game has really sparked my interest for the Sonic series once again in LONG time. The aesthetic for the game is colorful. I'm pretty excited for this! Too bad the levels mostly contain older stages from past games. But, who knows? I wonder what they'll do with it? Anyway, there's my two cents.

13. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    They haven't explicitly said that, and we know that's not strictly true from the use of the cave sections inspired by S1 8-bit's GHZ.

They said they were looking at the main 16-bit titles, and the main (read: named) theme of each zone will almost definitely be from those, but it doesn't mean that parts of e.g. Jungle Zone won't appear in an Angel Island Zone revisit, with logs floating down the big waterfall you scale at the end, and other logs in the water you can ride.

14. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    That sounds more like Hakuna Matata from Lion King :p.

15. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    hello i am tim with the factz and i am here with the factz to tell you that Yes They Did Explicitly Say That:
    http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/07/22/sonic-mania-announced-a-new-2d-adventure-on-ps4/

Of course they could mix in stuff from the 8-bit games, as they're adding new stuff to each zone. But they're not going to explicitly use zones from anything but the five main 16-bit games.

16. shawnsmitherson

shawnsmitherson

RocketDogShawn Member
    There will probably be references to things. In Green Hill it seems to nod a bit to the 8-bit version in some areas. Toxic Caves would have been pretty dope as a full stage though, and I love that music.

17. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Guys you've overlooked my main question. I would like to know (mainly from Tax and co) if there're any levels in the Sonic series that they are prohibited from adding to Mania? I imagine when the game is released that extra content could be a possibilty. This could be an opportunity to get remade levels that are outside the main 16bit games. I'm just simply asking would the Sonic Team stop this from happening.

18. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Why would they? Unless SEGA, contingent on the success of Mania, is planning on sequels to this sort of title, I don't see why the team would be explicitly prohibited.

More than likely, they might have already arrived to the conclusion that, based on what we've seen of the game so far, and how SEGA has chosen to market it, that the games with exclusive priority for sourcing basic level themes and layouts are the Genesis games listed. That'll be the extent of this game's specialty.

This doesn't stop the team from exercising enough creative freedom to make fans double take and say, "Hey, that reminds me of Crystal Egg Zone." As long as nothing is explicitly stated as coming from this or that, they can do whatever they dream up, and we can see the result however we like. It's like those statements in movies or TV shows that remind you this program consists of fictional events, and any similarities to people dead or alive is pure coincidence.

19. Aquova

Aquova

Professional nerd in training Member
    USA
    Hey now, they just said there would be levels from Sonic 1 and 2, not the Genesis versions of Sonic 1 and 2. Keep the Master System dream alive.

20. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I've been going back and forth in my head lately considering how I feel about the length of a Classic Sonic title. Now that we have established that the game will be at least seven stages long (assuming it's one re-made zone per game, plus the two new zones we know about), that puts it at more stages than Sonic 1 (though the three acts per stage even it out a bit) and probably makes them comparable to vanilla Sonic 3 and (more or less) tied with vanilla S3&K and Sonic CD (Again, 3 acts throwing it off), slightly fewer acts than Sonic 2, and dwarfed by S3&K.

Since we know there will be more re-makes of zones than new zones in Mania, then staying to the one zone per game representation means that we can theoretically have up to 9 total zones (five classic zones and at the very most, 4 new zones). But I'm not inclined to believe that. That still puts it roughly on par with Sonic 2's length, which could hardly be considered 'big' by any stretch of the imagination. It has to be bigger than 9 zones, right? Because the only Classic title I would consider by any stretch as 'big' would be S3&K, coming in at 12 total acts (13 if you count Hidden Palace as a zone). And to be in THAT ballpark, would require at least two zones represented by each game, bringing the possible total to 19 zones and still staying at the correct ratio of old-to-new. But that seems a little crazy to believe, especially for how small the Mania team actually is.

13 to 15 zones feels like the golden amount to me. That's 10 remade zones and 3 to 5 brand new zones. I'm curious as to how many zones others here would consider a good length for a Sonic game.