don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. LowSeasCaroz

LowSeasCaroz

Hessia, Germany
    Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
    We can always dream, we can always dream...
    Ian Flynn did make some remarks about the 2017 Sonic Team game when people asked him on Twitter, but nothing is really confirmed. And if they really did let him write the story, he won't be allowed to talk about it until Sega announce it themselves.
    It would mean a big leap forward from past games, when level designers were writing the stories (like Shadow and Sonic 06) or cartoon writers who have little to no knowledge of Sonic games and write incredibly generic kids cartoon stories (anything since Colours)...

2. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Sonic 06 had an actual script writer doing most of the stories, someone who had written for anime. I think only Shadow's was handled by someone who was in game design prior.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2163915/

3. LowSeasCaroz

LowSeasCaroz

Hessia, Germany
    Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
    It did? I always thought Shun Nakamura wrote the story for 06 since he was credited for "GAME STORY", and he was the one talking about the story behind Silver, Soleanna et cetera in all of the interviews that were released back then. And he -supposedly- suggested that the game should be called "Sonic the Hedgehog".

4. Sonic Fhan

Sonic Fhan

This is one of those things I really want to get into. As a comic and Sonic fan it makes a lot of sense for me. I always wonder how these things things sold

5. Tylinos

Tylinos

Thanks to the efforts of the awesome VEDJ-F over on Stadium, we've got some new info for everyone:

[quotename="VEDJ-F"] Noticed a tiny, tiny little thing I thought would be maybe interesting to point out if you're super-obsessed in the way I am.

Actually, I'm here because Ian was on 4chan last night. Doing recon at 1-2am is not fun let me tell you. But anyway, let me feed back some of the more interesting points;

-The two rabbits seen conspiring with a human in the pre-reboot Sonic Timeline were indeed supposed to be Bunnie's parents.

-He verified that absolutely nothing pre-reboot happened in the new continuity.

-We'll get smaller stories as we get closer to StH#300.

-Ian gave these hints for what to expect out of the big milestones for Sonic and Universe;

"Sonic - Go big or go home"

"Universe - Unconventional, closure"

-Don't expect any other "new" characters from other continuities (SatAM, AoStH) to be introduced for the foreseeable future

-There may be an Antoine and Bunnie arc somewhere in the pipeline.

-It seems Blaze will turn up again soon.

-Wally will continue to suffer.

-As will Clove and Cassia.

-He'll probably bring in zones from other games, and Mania.

-A Lost World adaptation is not on the horizon. He's not sure how much time he'd get to devote to it or how much liberty he'd be given, so he's thinking of saying it's already happened and then focusing on developing the Deadly Six, but that doesn't rule out him deciding to do a straight adaptation instead.

-He's down with the game idea of Sonic being a free spirit and just a cool bro to everyone, in terms of relationships.

-He's going to address how Sonic, Tails and Amy came to be with the Freedom Fighters in an upcoming issue.

-If there's been a note to play the game in the comic, then the game happened in the comic continuity in the same way, without the FFs being involved. As such, they weren't participants in all the classic era adventures.

-He may still someday elaborate on the events of the other games. Emphasis on may.

-There may be something about Antoine trying to teach Sally how to cook.

-No immediate plans for an Amy, Cream and Blaze arc again, but there's hints that there may be something in the very long term.

-We may see Amy team up with another female character (that isn't Cream) in a future story.

-He could totally consider killing off a post-reboot (non-game) FF if it served a good purpose, but right now he's just established them so no chance of that in the near future.

-Ian still calls the people "Mobians", but he doubts that there will ever be an official term and he doubts he can sneak that term into the book, so he just regards it as the universal fanon term.

-Nicole's had a lot of focus lately so she'll be put on the back burner a bit, but she will get some closure pretty soon.

-He finds Bean one of the hardest to write for due to the difficulty of writing comedy.

-He has thought about where SegaSonic the Hedgehog fits into comic continuity.

-If it gets approved, Gemerl will finally get a major victory. And it'll be on about the level of "Got your limit right here" and "It's time for school".

-He wants to get through Mega Drive and some other things before thinking about how to branch out into other parts of the classic era.

Remember, all you saw was me talking about the pattern on the teacups in Sonic Universe #90.
    [/quote]

6. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I'm sure that was the real Ian and not some random anon pretending to be him.

7. Tylinos

Tylinos

Ian's done these on 4chan in the past, and generally has provided proof that it's him. While I wasn't there to see if he provided any this time, I'd assume he did, or the people in the thread wouldn't have bought it, given his history. Regardless, we'll have proof enough anyway if these things start coming to pass, so...

EDIT: https://twitter.com/IanFlynnBKC/status/784514056862531585

8. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    [​IMG]

9. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    why do you use such a bad forum skin?

anyway k i was wrong

10. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Oh joy, more Antoine/Bunny. I'm ok with Sonic not having a relationship, but why can't any other SEGA characters?

11. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
    My theory is threefold:
    #1 - Sega are looking more at kids as their demographic.
    #2 - Any relationship developed by Archie could be invalidated if Sega ships their own couple.
    #3 - It could open the floodgates, and the comic could become a romance series again. D:

12. MartiusR

MartiusR

@Jason & LowSeasCaroz - out of curiosity, what's the thing(s) you like the most in Flynn's comics you wish to include (potentially) in games? I haven't read a couple of last issues of StH (as well as this parallel series Sonic Universe), but to be honest, I've generally lost interest in StH after last "genesis wave", overall I've got an impression that it's made correctly (in purely technical manner), but without this "spark", which would make me especially interested/excited/etc about comic I'm currently reading (not to mention that I feel odd when I'm bombarded with already established elements of the world, which were created/shaped out of reader's sight due to this sudden "change of plot". I don't want to diss there your opinion, I'm just curious (personally I'm very picky about plot in Sonic games/tv series/comics, only thing which came very close to my preferences is StC Online).

13. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    For me, it's the fact that Ian knows how to give the characters more than 2 dimensions, and his humor is actually funny. (as opposed to the cringefest under Pontac&Graff and most of Boom) He knows how to poke fun at series shortcomings much like the Sonic twitter. Sonic's greatest strength after all is its fanbase and how they're united in their loyalty to the brand no matter what happens. So it's nice to see humor that acknowledges just how stupid the series can get sometimes. And he also knows how to, holy shit, add drama and seriousness to the series without making it grimdark, and keeping the series from being a Looney Tunes knockoff. What a concept.

Say what you will about Ian's shortcomings (Worlds Unite sucked) but he's the most competent writer the series has ever had, and he's the one shot we have at changing the status quo for the characters as they stand right now.

14. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
  15. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

I feel like Sonic Mania should maybe borrow some ideas from this comics made-up zones and badniks. I love that cat badnik in particular, what a clever design!

I finally managed to find a copy of Sonic Mega Drive #1 (second print) here in the UK after looking in comic shops and conventions all over since it released (I missed out on the copies on sale at Summer of Sonic too). For some reason it was really hard for me to find, maybe a lot of UK comic sores didn't import it because it wasn't part of the main comic series'?

16. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I would shamelessly buy a Retro Engine adaption of this comic. It would be beautiful.

17. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Yup, Tyson Hesse proving again that he's the best Sonic artist.

And yeah I'd love to see the zones and badniks in this comic in an actual game.

18. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Tyson's great, but I also love Diana Skelly and Jennifer Hernandez's work, former of which is penciling most of the current main arc.

If there isn't an Eastwatch Islands fangame next SAGE, I'll be disappointed in us.

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Holy crap, I want to play that comic.

20. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    I'm gonna be really disappointed if fist-nipples don't show up for at least one panel.