don't click here

Sonic Classic Heroes

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by flamewing, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Perhaps 100% would mean going to all the past stages and destroying the Metal Sonic holograms/badnik generators, AND getting all 7 Time Stones? But you'd have to leave the last Time Stone for Metallic Madness Act 2 so it won't autodestroy all the remaining generators? Either way, excited about the TASing stuff.

2. TheLastWhiteFlame

TheLastWhiteFlame

Earth
    S1 & S2 Restored
    What i mean is that all the zones and sonic are 100% disassembled and ready to edit. I would release it but it's incomplete as robotnik and other stuff aren't ready yet.

Another way is to port the S3K special stage system over and modify it to be the S2 special stages, as that will greatly increase framerate and reduce lag

I would love to help you with this. My GitHub account name is TheLastWhiteFlame

The idea is great but for the UI, but that would depend on what would be best for it because there are many ways it could go bad.

3. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    Now, THAT I am interested in. Maybe releasing it as is can get people to help? Or you can try contacting TheStoneBanana and Ralakimus, they would probably also like to help.

It isn't possible to replicate the S2 special stage using the S3K special stage system; that one just uses a bazillion tiles and palette rotation to give the illusion that the world is moving. The S2 special stage uses enough colors that there aren't enough left over for anything like that.

Although to be honest, looking at the S3K special stage system did give me one idea: I hadn't yet looked at how many tiles are needed to render all track frames in32x32 plane mode, especially if I use raster effects to double the number of lines. Reducing plane size alone would free up 384 tiles worth of VRAM; dynamically loading the chaos emerald would free up 46 more; and the track currently uses 372 tiles (which are single unique lines repeated 8 times). That would give 802 tiles to work with (a bit less for SCH because Knuckles/Vector eats some tiles from plane A). Now to check out how many tiles it takes.

Invite sent.

4. Devon

Devon

Down you're going... down you're going... Tech Member
    your mom
    Maybe at least after the contest deadline, we could help. TheStoneBanana and I are working on our project as much as we can to get it into the hacking contest, so we will be very busy until then (plus real life shit and whatnot). Though, I am interested, and I have told TheStoneBanana about this.

EDIT: TheStoneBanana is also interested, but, as I said, wait until we are finished with our own project for the contest first.

5. TheLastWhiteFlame

TheLastWhiteFlame

Earth
    S1 & S2 Restored
    It's a lot more complicated then that because the disassembly is mixed with the a modified 2011 RSDK version code as well as the 1996 PC Edition's code.
    Apart from reducing plane size you could also reduce other SS art and resize it from code to save up some VRAM.
    Accepted.

6. Any of those you need help with pixel art that isn't just characters?

7. flamewing

flamewing

France
    • SCH does, but it is kind of tricky (and I don't want to talk about too much about it).
    • one of the 3 hack ideas will require new everything (maybe even characters; it may end up needing smaller sprites in order to work).
    • another of the 3 hack ideas will basically need all new sprite sheets for all characters; I doubt any existing sprite sheet will fit it. But not much else beyond that.
    • the third of the 3 hack ideas will require art of the same kind SCH does.
    • the hack I started work on will probably not require any art at all, and neither does the mini-hack.

8. Well if you need any extra side pixel artists to help with any of those three that isn't your main crew, I have some experience with pixel art and would gladly help out whenever I have free time.

9. Have you thought about putting the Sonic 3 & Knuckles bonus stages into this hack? Since they also use the checkpoint you could have it so 25 rings gets you the bonus stages while 50 gets you the special stage.

10. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    Now that Green Hill Zone - Act 2 has been revealed for Sonic Mania... any thoughts on having the Flame Shield burn spiky logs? Also, does anyone else get vibes of prototype Emerald Hill buzzers burning bridges?

11. Would that even work for half the layouts? Half the time that'd probably just open up endless pits.

12. flamewing

flamewing

France
    The levels would need to be edited to account for that, yes.

But it is funny that he mentions the spiky logs being burned by fire shield, but not the Raging Inferno Zone (formerly known as Oil Ocean Zone) under the effects of the same shield (which is why I didn't add any fire shields to it, by the way).

13. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    Now I'm imagining a situation where if someone were to hack a fire shield onto their character and then touch the oil in that zone, a wall of fire would obscure the screen a la S3 Angel Island resulting in the player's immediate death.

14. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Would be a great stage transition to introduce a whole new area of the stage. Maybe even use the opportunity to call back a zone from a Game Gear title or an unused concept + - Genocide City  

But that's Sonic Mania levels of wishful thinking. Silly me =P

15. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Hmmm, what? OOz can catch fire? I'm lost now.

16. flamewing

flamewing

France
    rata: while I was adding elemental shields to SCH (at around the time it got the name of S2H from Nineko), I thought of having a "stage" transition in OOZ if you touched any oil while having a fire shield. The way I thought was: flames would erupt, initially similar to the Marble Zone 3 boss fireballs, followed by a wave of fire not unlike the one from Angel Island; after that, all oil would be on fire (foreground and background), there would be a Sandopolis-style heat wave effect, and you would need to have a fire shield on to survive, and the lower route over oil would basically be a pit of lava where you can sink in. For bonus evil, the burning effect could persist until you got a game over; but that would be a tad too harsh.

I ended up deciding against it because I was still a turdit was too much work for too little benefit, and I decided to just keep fire shields off of it to avoid having to deal with the issue. Of course, if Blaze is ever added to SCH, the issue will come up again.

17. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Well it is something very creative and it would be unique to the game, with title cards changing the name properly and stuff. I can't know how can that be little benefit.//forums.sonicretro.org/public/style_emoticons/default/specialed.png

18. I think there are much more important things to add before something like that, namely the 'any character can be with most any other' feature that was discussed for quite a few pages, or adding the mobile Sonic 1/2 layouts and/or the mobile Hidden Palace Zone, of that last one can even happen. (Maybe a modified version if necessary? Taking the best parts of the mobile version and adding it onto the existing S2Beta version may work. Just as long as you keep the zone transition, that's too good to lose.)

19. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    Actually, only Act 3 has the logs I'm thinking of, and doing that would lead to the area with 5 ring monitors and a 1-up as well as the area with rings, Buzz Bombers, and a rock... but nothing else.

And I took up the spot of resident Sonic Retro turd later on Would it be too hard to just get rid of the code?

If I'm not mistaken, the first thing is going to happen, the mobile layouts will not be ported over as flamewing has not mentioned it with the idea of making us forget (that's something I've learned from experience), and Hidden Palace Zone coooould happen but the boss is either too long to sit through or too short to be consequential.

20. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    Personally I would love to see Team Rose (with E-122's Amy, Cream and Tikal) in as the next major update, but in any case, I think I remember flamewing stating in the past that he had a priority list of things they're working on implementing, so I'm sure his focus hasn't changed despite all the new suggestions and such.