don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
  2. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

I voted in the poll for the collector's edition. I've wanted a physical release of this game since it was announced. I hope it actually happens! I'll definitely buy it.

3. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Updated poll results:

Almost 33K votes cast and 83% in favour of a CE for Sonic Mania - up from 79% yesterday night. The results are looking good!

4. Miles3298

Miles3298

Count me among the "take my rings" folk. Because do shut up and take my money, Sonic Mania team. I won't take no for an answer. (Unless I have to, but that would suck, eh?)

5. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

I hope we get a demo to the game soon. I was secretly hoping during the 25th anniversary stream that Aaron was going to say "to the folks watching the stream, there's a demo out tomorrow/soon." Because that would be awesome. Especially since it was a special occasion. They could even make it a timed demo like the first Generations demo.

6. kullenberg

kullenberg

Man, I miss that feeling of walking into the store and getting that crazy dopamine spike upon seeing the newly released game sitting on the shelf in all it's shiny glory. Having a physical copy to handle really anchors that feeling in a way a digital download just doesn't.

7. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
  8. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Not sure I understand this response, but I just want to say that I also think the games have lacked genuine creativity for a while. The tropes of the zones have been re-used to death. Studiopolis is by far the most original concept for a zone I have seen in a long time. It's so refreshing! If that makes me a bitch, then grab my juicy honking tits and motorboat baby!

9. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    "Grass city" sounds vaguely like "rack city", which Tyga says frequently in this song, to the point it gets annoying.

The joke already went over your head, but I figured I'd point it out to you so you could look up.

10. Someone at Sega remembered us mocking up Sonic Advance 2 fake screens and Sonic Blur's fake beta rom? That's an incredibly meta reference. The hoax pic in question matches pixel for pixel one of the old fakes, including that bordered frame effect used to mimic the actual GBA screen being "scanned."

11. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Ah, no motorboat then...

12. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    CE poll seems to have ended at about 34,901 votes. Hopefully with time this will bear fruit.

54% "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY RINGS"
    29% "Yes"
    17% "No"

13. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I'd say 83% in favour of "Yes" after a substantial amount of votes is extremely promising. Good result. The poll indicates overwhelmingly that people want a physical CE so hopefully Sega take notice of the positive results and act accordingly. It's almost 30K people willing to buy a physical release of the game. Sega have to notice that.

14. IrnBru

IrnBru

If they release it in a MegaDrive-esque case it'd be a 10/10. CD holder instead of a cartridge slot and a beefy manual would be most impressive.

15. Flygon

Flygon

Does it become an 11/10 if it's a cartridge with a Micro USB plug, Cable, and installs via USB? :v:

16. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Yeah that would be particularly awesome. I'd probably buy two copies if that happened. I think my ultimate dream for this game is that it becomes a massive success which ensures a long running series. I'd love for this to outsell the Sonic 4 series and encourage Sega to develop a Mania 2 and 3.

I think with the overwhelming amount of positivity, hype and buzz for Mania a sequel is highly probable. We'll know more once the game releases.

17. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    I'd prefer a DLC approach, honestly. If we're going into unexplored Sonic business territory ("fuck it let's have the gajins make a classic Sonic game because we give up"), I think more unique zones added to Mania Island through expanded campaign or branching paths would be intriguing. If this is a modern take on classic Sonic, we don't really need back to back sequels with no engine or style changes, like S3 to S&K, in the 21st century.

18. Felik

Felik

I think you're new to this thread. People here generally tend to think that ANY change to the holy S3&K formula, no matter how minuscule or reasonable it is, is an act of blasphemy. Let alone a suggestion of a DLC.
    And will violently try to ridicule and/or rebut any suggestion that classic games mechanic/formula can be improved upon.
    At least the most vocal group.

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Can I just point out,

was there ever really any chance of people voting "no", given that it was posed to a realtively hardcore Sega faithful who grew up with boxed games?

20. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    You say that but having raw statistics regardless of hardcore group gives a publisher an idea if it's worth taking the risk. I'd be interested to know how many copies Sega would have to shift for it to be break even and how many for it to be a success.