don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    New interview, new info on the game! Thanks for sharing IrnBru

2. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    To all the people saying that score never really mattered in a sonic game. I agree with you, but it's not true. The manual specifically has a spot for you to write down your high scores and when you got them. I personally never cared about scores (except in SA2B) but you can't say that don't matter.

3. Turbohog

Turbohog

I don't want to be rude, but who on earth is she? She's the producer?

I really didn't learn anything new. I feel like anyone on retro could have given a better interview...

4. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Oh come on now, there are a lot of people on retro that would do an awful job.

5. So, act transitions. I am happy about that!

6. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Yes, I'm totally thrilled about the very dramatic transitions also. And judging by the superb new animations thus far (Sonic looking up, Sonic off balance, vaudeville Robotnik dance, etc.) I just know they will be glorious!

7. Felik

Felik

They've been talking about CRT filter and that reminded me of something. Call me blasphemer but I kinda want a 2xSaI or similar filter be available in this game.

8. Looking forward to finding out how many new levels there are.

Also interesting comment by the producer on how positive comments have really helped them, made me think about how games these days are kinda shaped by reactions from the public.

9. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    She did great considering how awkward the interviewer is. He keeps asking incredibly specific questions that she obviously can't answer.

10. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I don't think most people would be trying to ratchet up the score in most cases like in the video, but otherwise I don't dispute your argument. Speaking for myself, I wouldn't object to it getting a retool (a limited number of bounces seems to be the popular notion). If possible I think it would be cool to try and re-incorporate the Sonic 1 hidden points.

My personal take on the idea would be a goalpost you could bounce it up to five times, with each bounce giving you 100 points, with hidden areas of 1000, 2500, 5000, 75000, and 10000 that are added to your score if you bounce the goalpost up to them (and if you say the goalpost in Sonic 3 wasn't affected by falling speed, I'd implement it here).

On a more unrelated note, I hope Mania takes a page from Classic Crisis City in Generations, and bends the rules a bit with expectation. The initially-close goalpost breaking away and the player having to chase after it in the final third of the level was great, I'd love to see more stuff like that.

11. Turbohog

Turbohog

On the interview,

I guess I was a bit harsh. Most of us would probably be terribly awkward. I guess I was thinking particularly of explaining how the game came to be and talking about Tee Lopes.

Honestly though, I'm curious. Does anyone know if she's worked on any Sonic games before?

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The interview was awkward. I've not had a chance to watch the full thing yet, but just the first question about how the game came to be could be much better answered. "It's a passion project from independent developers" is all she said, not even mentioning the mobile ports that two big names in the team have already worked in. It tells us nothing. But I'll believe that she was asked some awkward questions too. I absolutely hate when people do that, because 9/10 times you know whether your question will get an answer or not.

13. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Awkward and specific are two completely different things. From my perspective she tried to save face with non answers which made it look awkward. I don't know about anyone else but having the title producer carries more weight that PR as in you give the impression that you know more about the specific details. Perhaps they could have saved those questions for the developers or at least informed the producer of the questions before asking and recording them. But at the end of it everything made the situation sour. I will say this that I hope the interviewer and producer take this experience and learn from it so they don't make these blunders again.

14. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    "Dramatic act transitions" is the most interesting thing from the interview. I'm hoping there will be the same kind of Sonic 3 styled transitions between zones (not just acts 1&2).

This is a pretty interesting tweet:

"During #SonicMania #PAX expo demo, staff revealed that mesmerizing animation @ boot screen took THREE weeks to make!"

https://twitter.com/trihexx/status/773140086745473024

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Even Sonic 3D Blast used the S&K 1up jingle, and Sonic Adventure used the emerald jingle for some reason. Senoue has long been a fan of reusing music instead of writing new songs, though. A good chunk of SA's soundtrack was repurposed from S3D, and S4E1's boss theme was an unused song from S3D.

Even though Sonic Mania isn't Senoue's project, he's screwed up the tradition badly enough that it's almost not worth fixing at this point... Though with the game still in development, it's certainly not too late for a new 1up jingle.

16. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

[​IMG]
    This took me around a month to get right, so I can understand how that would take three weeks by a more talented animator heh, especially since it's all pixel art too. In comparison the sonic 4 title screens probably took 3 hours tops heh.

17. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It sounds even more impressive when you look at it like this:

3 weeks
    [​IMG]

A six month delay for improvements
    [​IMG]

18. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    My guess would be three hours, with an additional three-hour delay made to give it that "unrivaled classic Sonic feel". :v

19. Saidian

Saidian

England
    Blast From The Fast (Fangame)
    Oh god you had to throw that abomination in right there :v:

But yeh, the fact it's made by talented people that have also been lifelong fans is very obvious to all.

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Speaking of, I'd be surprised if Sonic Mania didn't include at least one Sonic 4 level but, you know, done right. :v: