don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    That is actually a really neat idea, but what zones would be able to do this? I can't picture anything from Sonic 1/2/CD except for Scrap Brain/Final and Sky Chase/Winged Fortress/Death Egg. Sonic 3K is where the level transitions really stated, but many of them don't share a theme that would be able to link the levels. I could see Angle Island having accessible parts of Hydrocity on the lower water routes. Another thought would be a crashed Flying Battery in Sandopolis.

2. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Then that begs the question, will modding even be possible? I don't see why it wouldn't be, considering how open to the modding/hacking community they've been lately, but you never know.

3. Turbohog

Turbohog

Modding is always possible. It is just easier when developers release official tools. That won't happen though; I don't think Sega has ever released official modding tools.

4. winterhell

winterhell

If you strive to be the best at something(including Guinness and Olympic records), then researching and keeping in mind the current best is unavoidable.

Same with Sonic & Knuckles. If you don't know its pros and cons and why and how it works, then its much harder to surpass it.

5. Felik

Felik

Yeah just look at all the Sonic CD (2011) mods.

6. Why would you mod the remake when we already have the tools to mod the original game?

It also didn't help the PC port was a port of the 360 version which I'd imagine made it somewhat more complicated; Hopefully Sonic Mania will just be a direct PC version rather than being ported all over the place.

7. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    I think the whole DLC stuff would ruined the classic experience of what the classic Sonic games are meant to be . I mean there was no DLC for S1,S2 and CD (there was a small possibility but it never happen) so why Mania is what got me confuse here.
    I mean I can see it for the 3D kinds like Unleashed (which already happen ) and Generations (still looking for that pinball DLC on the PSN)

8. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Yeah, same. I'd rather they just release the full game with all the content and be done with it. I'm more concerned whether they will support the console versions of Mania with updates to fix any bugs/glitches. Whilst the android version of Sonic CD 2011 received patches, the console versions didn't, which was annoying.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'd have to imagine this time they will, as unlike with Sonic CD there are only console versions of this game. To not support it would be silly.

And while people are joking about extra characters, if they didn't take up too much time and they were optional honestly I say go for it. I'd love to play as Metal Sonic.

10. ElectricSparx

ElectricSparx

United States
    Temporal Shift: Flow of Eternity
    On the subject of additional characters besides the main trio, as long as their gameplay is fun, and they aren't massively better or worse than playing as Sonic, Tails, or Knuckles, I wouldn't mind. Playing as Mighty or Metal Sonic would be neat.

11. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I'd argue that Knuckles was "DLC" for Sonic 2 & 3. You spent money for the ability to play Knuckles in levels that were not playable with him prior.

I see no harm in having an Amy DLC, so long as it is developed after the full game has already shipped to not take away resources that can be used elsewhere.

12. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    wouldn't that also make Tails DLC for Sonic & Knuckles then?

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Sonic & Knuckles was DLC for all of Sonic 3. Tails is some kinda anomaly

14. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    what if you bought the games in reverse order?

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That sounds like a personal problem :specialed:

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That made you the owner of a really big demo of the full game. :specialed:

17. winterhell

winterhell

You guys do know that before 2008 we called those 'expansion packs' and not dlc. Then again programs and games were called programs and games and not 'crapps'.

18. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Nah, people been using the term DLC since at least when Xbox Live started in 2002. Even earlier if you count the Dreamcast era.

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Widespread use of the abbreviation came later - none of that shortened noise in the days of the Dreamcast. Save for the hipsters I guess.

The term "expansion pack" was more common... probably because in the days of dial-up, you couldn't download much content.

Sonic & Knuckles counts as neither because it's its own stand-alone product. For the old-school term you need to consult the MSX fans with their two-cartridge game solutions.

"Executables"

20. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    On the topic of Zones we would like to see revisited...

I would rrrrealllly like to see abandoned Launch Base, or the crash site of the Death Egg/Flying Battery/Wing Fortress (pic related). So many possibilities for those three, because they could have come down ANYWHERE... so like, you could have an awesome mash up of any zone. Imagine a hybrid of crashed Death Egg and Hill Top Zone, or the frozen ruins of Death Egg crashed into Ice Cap Zone. So much potential. Another awesome zone to revisit would be Scrap Brain Zone. The burning future noir cityscape above, and the crystalline-organic sewer below.

I can't god damn wait for this game!

[​IMG]