don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Deef

Deef

Please no dialogue.

But honestly it's too big a change for the appeal the game is going for; super unlikely they'd risk putting it in.

2. IrnBru

IrnBru

This ^

I loved this method of story telling, even as a kid I had a good idea of the story without the need to read it or someone telling me what was going on.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I actually doubt Sega would allow dialogue in this case as, to them, Classic Sonic doesn't talk. He didn't even talk in Generations 3DS via text boxes, he just had things like "?" and "!"

4. SuperSonicRider

SuperSonicRider

Some stuff:

Insta-Shield - I first encountered the Insta-Shield as the "Double Spin Attack" in Sonic Advance (I got into Sonic games relatively later than a lot of people here) where it didn't have invincibility frames, so it wasn't terribly useful there but it was nice to hit enemies a little faster with and to break the control lock. It just felt nice to execute. I used it for the same thing in Sonic 3, until I found out the other uses for it. So I understand the upset with it being replaced with the Drop Dash but in general I'm fine with it. At this point I would be a little surprised if it wasn't an option though?

Amy - I didn't take the post with the wallpapers as anything special because Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, & Eggman are the most recurring "classic" characters anyway, but that "wait for it" post was very...weird. The only thing is that, assuming Tails and Knuckles handle like they did in Sonic 3, Amy would stray from the whole one-button thing that Sonic, Tails, & Knuckles have going on because the hammer button would have to be mapped to something different (unless they just made her like Sonic 3 Sonic but with an Hammer Attack instead of an Insta-Shield, which is kind of how Sonic Advance 2 handled her). If that isn't something that matters really (which it doesn't to me honestly, just bringing up as *a* point), then it's whatever. I'm for it if they want to do that, but I also don't really care if they don't. I just hope it's something people wouldn't wince at on principle because it's different from the original games, because generally people seemed to enjoy her in Sonic Advance.

5. IrnBru

IrnBru

@SuperSonicRider

As far as Amy is concerned I'm on the same page as you, this is coming from someone who played the Megadrive games before the Advance series ( I really like Advance and have always gave them high praise, especially 3 ). If they where to add Amy in, which I really don't see happening, Just make her as quick as Sonic was in Sonic 3 with the same abilities as Sonic including the control lock. Give Amy the hammer attack in place of the Insta-Shield and make Amy a bonus unlock totally removed from the story and no one can really complain, it's just bonus content.

6. Felik

Felik

Or make her a DLC character... along with M.Sonic and Chaotix (complete with Heavy and Bomb of course) also some Ray and Honey thrown in there wouldn't harm, right?
    I hope nobody from SEGA will read this...

7. IrnBru

IrnBru

You forgot to make it day one DLC

Really though, I'd like Sonic 2 style 2-player mode :P

8. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    In terms of the story, surely they will stick to the no-dialogues cutscenes of 3&K. Maybe with some animated cutscenes like in Knuckles Chaotix before the boss fights and an intro like in Sonic CD?

Wonder what the end of zone transitions will be like. The mid-zone transition appears to be just like in 3&K; at the end of Green Hill act1 you move to an underground-cave setting for the start of act2. Maybe at the end of the zone Sonic teleports/warps to the next zone? Either that or he jumps on the good old Sonic-plane piloted by Tails (Sonic 1, 2 & 3 zones of course take place on different islands).

9. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    Sorry if I've missed this in the 89 pages of this topic (it's not been edited in the title or first post anyway), but:

[​IMG]

Is this a release date? A day before Sonic's 26th birthday?

10. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I think they're just saying that Sonics 25th Birthday is a year-long celebration.

11. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    Well I mean the trailer says Spring 2017, so probably not. That means they have until June 21st, not the 22nd :specialed:

12. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    Ah yeah, didn't think of that =P

13. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    To be clear, I don't actually want Amy playable. If it happens I am generally indifferent. I'm not trying to pressure anyone and if anyone thinks they can actually accomplish this, they are naive. The game is likely pretty far along at this point for any sort of a large changes. Likewise, I'm not demanding anything and personally would like to slap anyone that does try and pull that shit, it makes us ALL look bad.

I agree, let the dev's do their work. The game's in good hands. But we are a community of die hard fans, so let us have our fun and speculate and gush.

I could be wrong about Amy, I'm going out on a limb by stating she WILL be playable. I'm applying my "sociological imagination" to reach this conclusion. And I have a 100% track record on my predictions to date. None of the 6 points I listed are enough to reach my conclusion, it's the 6 combined. Still, I'm just speculating and counting the days... We all are, so relax and enjoy the forum, this is a once in a 2 decade event.

14. Felik

Felik

I like how Amy's playstyle in Advance 1 was praised for being refreshing and challenging in a good way for years but once people express their opinion of her being a worthy addition to Mania some say that they just don't know what they want and only like her on superficial level.
    Because no classic Sonic game ever added a new playable character and because Amy's gameplay has proven to be just Sonic colored pink.
    OK guys keep thinking inside the box because if Sonic 3 had 3 playable characters and it was the last game in the classic trilogy then it's the way it should always be. It's not like the series has been constantly evolving during it's golden era.

It's a 2D platformer that is due in at least 6 months. I'm pretty sure adding a playable character would be among the easiest things they could do.

You know what also would be cool? Adding new types of shields. Of course only if they acted differently enough from existing ones. But I guess since Sonic 3 had 3 types of shield then devs' hands are tied.

15. Deef

Deef

Tacking in a playable character, sure.
    Adding a playable character that looked like it was given a decent amount of planning, I disagree.

I wouldn't mind seeing Amy playable; not too fussed either way, just making that comment.

16. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    The Sonic 3 worship has been getting a ridiculous over the past few years. When talking about how to make a good Sonic title, the conversation always ends up becoming something along the lines of "What would Sonic 3 do?"

It was a great game, but do we have to rehash it?

17. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    It was the closest thing to an agreeable peak of the franchise (I think), and was where the "golden age" truly left off. If a true continuation of that age is to be made, it ought to be the starting point, and the gold standard for what to improve upon.

18. ElectricSparx

ElectricSparx

United States
    Temporal Shift: Flow of Eternity
    Oh man.

Seeing the trailer for this legitimately made me feel happy. It's been a personal dream of mine to have Taxman and Stealth make an original Classic Sonic game, and holy shit, they did it. All the art and music for this game are simply amazing. Studiopolis looks and sounds like a neat level to explore. The drop dash seems like a nice addition to Sonic's moveset, although I wish it didn't replace the Insta-Shield, that was my favorite double-jump move for Sonic, period.

I'm really interested in Taxman's statement of how they're making all these old zones feel like they're part of a living world and changing over time. I'd really like to see an abandoned Launch Base, or a ruined Death Egg. We've never actually seen an abandoned/ruined Eggman base before (at least, not to my knowledge), so I think it would be very interesting.

19. Even if Amy isn't in Sonic Mania, I'd imagine some people here would be able to create a mod that puts her into the game anyways.

And in terms of revisiting old zones, I'd also be interested in mash up zones- two zones from one game that would be close to each other, with act 1 transitioning into a different zone with act 2.

20. Turbohog

Turbohog

Sonic 3 and Knuckles has always been the absolute peak of the series to me. In my opinion, no other game was as consistently good. I understand the desire for Mania to be it's own game, but I would certainly love to have another Sonic 3. Anyway, it doesn't matter. From what we've seen already, Mania is its own unique game with its own unique style (well a mash up of styles I guess).