don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. MartiusR

MartiusR

It's only my assumption (fortunately), but I'm afraid that Sega is considering that there is no reason to port these versions. Due to trivial thing - there are already (for sure on Steam, don't know how about PS4/XOne, but probably there too) those "emulated" versions of Sonic 1 and 2. I'm guessing that they could name these two "android-ports" "Sonic 1/2 Remastered" or something like that, but even despite the case with the name, for some common customer (so not one of us, who is more or less hyped about those additional features in remastered editions)... There is not a big difference between these versions and those which are already on Steam (and PS4/XOne?). He/she takes a look on screenshot of "classic" Sonic 1 and on "Remastered" Sonic 1 - "heck, these two are identical, why should I even bother?

And yes, there are such things like Age of Empires 2 HD on Steam, about which you could say literally the same thing (from point of view the common customer). But there is no "classic" AoE 2 in digital distribution at all, so if you want to play in AoE 2 and you're sticking to things which you can find on store's shelves (virtual/real), you don't have other choice but AoE 2 HD.

2. ELS

ELS

Ok but I'm sure the porting would be trivial and I bet it would get a lot of sales from dedicated fans. I want to be optimistic and think they might be holding off until they can get S3&K done the same way and in one big package.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    What's your point? The ports are already made and they don't have to pay Steam a licence, do they?

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I agree that releasing S1 and S2 remastered on Steam on top of the existing versions would be redundant. There's a reason why they're not officially titled "remastered". With S1 and S2 on mobiles though, the 'remastered 'versions literally replaced the old emulated versions in their entirety. Anyone with the old versions essentially got a free upgrade (at the cost of losing save data, obviously). The same could be done on Steam. And as it happens, the games aren't available on PS4 and one XB1 you can only play them via backward compatibility. So the market for them exists there and also for the NX when it rolls around from next year onward.

5. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I was just about to respond to you but Blue Blood beat me to it. Yeah it was the Nintendo exclusivity deal that killed a wider release - I believe it was confirmed by Stealth in a recentish interview he did where he outright confirms the Nintendo deal was the reason for the games remaining mobile-only.

Now the exclusivity deal is over there's the potential for the games along with hopefully Sonic 3 Remastered to be released on more platforms.

6. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Surely it's time for the remasters to be brought to PS4, Xb1 & Steam. With Mania on the way it would be a strange decision not to port them. I'm kind of hoping they'll be ported by Christmas. Perhaps the same guys who ported Sonic CD to consoles could do it.

You can't even play the backbones ports of Sonic 1&2 on PS4 via PS Now which is a bit strange because PS Now has Sonic 4, CD and Gens. Of course I'd rather have the remasters on PS4 over the shitty backbone versions.

7. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Hop to God you're right! I've been waiting on ports of these remasters for like forever. Hopefully Sega ports them and seriously considers green lighting Sonic 3.

It'd make complete business sense what with Sonic Mania being a retro throwback game. If there was ever a time to port them it'd be now.

8. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Not now, maybe after Sonic Mania is done. Cause I'd want the Sonic 3 port done by Taxman and Stealth and I don't think they can work on two projects at once. Unless they become like Yuji Naka in his later years and take more an advisory role and not program themselves.

Edit: Also on PC the remasters would most certainly have to be sold seperately. Cause they could never replace the ports as they are not simple aps. They are emulators that run a bunch of ROMs, not just Sonic 1 & 2.

They'd have to have the screen width change size if you select them in the emulator or something which sounds like trouble. It'd be weird to have the main games be HD resolution but have mods be a much smaller size. Then I know people would upload the original versions once they changed the emulated version to the HD remaster.

9. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Still no word on Sonic CD for mobile? It kills me to nag in any capacity, and I'm still pretty happy owning it on Steam, but it's been a while since we heard anything. I keep throwing my money at the screen and nothing happens! :v:

I'm also concerned how they would release the remasters on Steam without confusing the masses. A lot of people would feel entitled to them if they already own the emulated versions, so I think it would take some thoughtful planning to ensure everyone understands the distinction.

The touchscreen controls are surprisingly comfortable from what I'm used to with emulators. The hitboxes for buttons are so massive, that you can tap almost anywhere on the right side of the screen and never miss a jump. Similar deal for the d-pad: Touching far beyond the right of the d-pad still registered as right, and same for the left. The on-screen buttons more or less become animated feedback you can keep tabs on in the corner of your eye. You don't have to precisely keep your thumbs on the buttons themselves at all.

So I never really worried about where my thumbs were on the screen while playing the remasters, which is normally the problem for games with touchscreen controls. Having to look away to make sure your thumbs aren't losing track of the d-pad or buttons is costly in platformers and racing games. (I'm probably a masochist for playing Mario Kart Super Circuit and Mario Kart DS on my phone!)

Nothing replaces tactile feedback for sure, but of all the emulators and native Android games I've played, these are the most comfortable touchscreen controls I've ever used, right next to Super Mario 64 DS and Metroid Prime Hunters.

10. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I'm surprised they didn't release the Remasters on the PC alongside the Lost World PC port. It would have been an easy way to have something for the Christmas period. Maybe they might do this year, as they only game they have is Sonic Boom Fire and Ice.

11. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Yeah who knows whats going on with the googly play version of Sonic CD, its been wiped off the face of the earth and theirs no signs of it coming back to google play.

With the lack of updates and fixes and no support coming to all 3 remasters soon enough an android update is going to kill them, which will be a shame.

12. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Good point! Yeah I guess if Taxman and Stealth are occupied with Sonic Mania then that kind of prevents the remasters from being developed until Mania is out. They could theoretically work on two projects at once but I'd say that's unlikely - Sega would probably want them to concentrate on Mania.

I guess next year is more likely a possibility then. I'm still holding out hope that the remasters will be ported soon. I guess we'll see.

13. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I just got Sonic CD on Amazon Underground the other day. Right now I think it's the only way to get it.

14. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I completely forgot about the Mega Drive Classics hub thing that they introduced. That does complicate things a little bit. It's certainly not worth it to release the titles as independent games - as brilliant as they are, they're not significantly different. Guess that means I'll start rooting for full HD remakes instead then!

15. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Perhaps with Sega's focus on retro-classic Sonic with Mania there's renewed hope the games will be ported? I'd love to see them on consoles and Steam along with hopefully Sonic 3 one day. The remasters are just fantastic and it's a shame they stopped at Sonic 2. Sonic 3 and Knuckles deserves the same treatment.

16. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    They might as well release it as a bundle together as "Sonic The Hedgehog & 2 Remastered Edition", that would be the logical thing.

17. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I'd love a collection of the games similar to Mega Collection Plus but with the remastered editions. Seems like a pipedream at the moment but I'd love for it to happen.

18. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I'm aware of the Amazon version, but I would like to know why the google play version has been scrapped.

19. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    As someone who uses the Google Play store for all purchases I'd like to know this too. Anyone know?

20. Turbohog

Turbohog

We talked about this in the CD thread. They said they took it down to fix a bug. But that was like half a year ago. The Amazon version ducks unfortunately. Requires you to be online.