don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    Sonic Adventure says Hi.

2. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    man i hope ken balough reads my name out loud in a video

3. bombatheechidna

bombatheechidna

What is this Adventure of Sonic you speak of?

4. winterhell

winterhell

There is also the matter where a relatively low number of people are making the game, thus keeping the production costs and overhead low.

Sonic 4 Ep 1 was written by 10 programmers. Do you think Taxman and Stealth are getting paid at least as much in total as those 10, for doing a better and bigger job?
    I don't know what their arrangement is, but a normal corporation with an employee contract would try to squeeze the regular pay rate, even if the person is doing 5 - 10 times more work than another with a similar contract.

5. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    Honestly, i don't want to request anything. I think I'm in confidence that the content we will get will be awesome anyway.

6. ELS

ELS

I know you read these forums guys! Don't forget Direct Input support like you did on Sonic CD!

7. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    This is true, when I spoke of an expectation of a minimal financial return by Sega, I wasn't only referring to the risk of a financial return in and of itself, but that Sega is also taking a risk with the Sonic IP. I mean, after the flop of Sonic Boom, and the flop of the "return to classic" Sonic 4, it would be a final nail in the coffin if another experiment were to fail. For both of these reasons, Sega would have an expectation of a minimal financial return on which to justify another experiment, another "retro" game, another gamble with their reputation.

8. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    They didn't, the PC version of CD 2011 was handled by a third-party for some ridiculous reason. It's a port of the 360 version.

9. http://youtu.be/FbY8xZpR8tg

I sort of want a 16-Bit Soundtrack option on the menu after hearing this. That said, having played the game at Summer of Sonic, the soundtrack (and whole experience) are something I cannot wait for in any case.

10. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Studiopolis is of such exceptional quality it makes me excited to see the rest of the zones. Hope they're just as good.

Regarding Sega's expectations I think their financial requirements will be met. The game is garnering an overwhelmingly positive and excited reception so far with glowing praise so that should translate in to decent sales thereby ensuring a sequel.

11. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    So does Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic Chaos. And you see Robotnik with the emeralds in the bad ending for Sonic 1 and Robotnik with a Timestone in the bad ending for Sonic CD.

12. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Good and interesting point. The bad ending from Sonic 1 still haunts me to this day because I was terrible at the special stages and always arrived at it. lol

13. SiddtheKidd

SiddtheKidd

Streets of Fucking Rage! Member
    Sin City
    Project Neo - Deadly Metropolis
    Not bad at all.

While I haven't gotten hands on experience I'm a sucker for sprites, especially in the style of gens/32x/cd/saturn and this game is an excellent work of art. You can even tell the subtle differences in Green Hill Zones graphics and animations. Speak of animations though... DEM FRAMES! I haven't been this impressed since SF 3rd Strike (not to say there aren't other impressive 2d games) obviously this game is in good hands with the visuals. I hope that we can select themes for the classic stages like in generations, I'd love a more elaborate take on Splash Hill Zone like some of the awesome chipped remixes I've heard before for example. I just want this game NAO! Can't wait to see more game play/info and most importantly playing it myself. It's pretty insane to think my kids will be playing a new classic sonic around the same age I played the original Sonic the Hedgehog.

14. ELS

ELS

What ridiculous reason?

15. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Beats me, go ask SEGA. Wasn't Taxman's call.

16. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    How do I justify to my husband to buy a new system for a Genesis style game? I guess I'll be getting Steam

17. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Good post! The 32X/Saturn inspiration for Sonic Mania is amazing. Feels like a long lost game from that era. I love the artwork and style because of that.

Also yeah it's crazy to think that kids will be playing a new classic Sonic game similar to us playing the classics when we were kids. Mind blown.

18. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I'll tell you one thing, Sonic Mania gives me hope for someone to cook up a full blown 32X Sonic game. I think if Sonic Mania had a 32X port, I could die happy.

19. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Now that'd be awesome! I'd be up for buying a 32X in order to play the 32X version of Sonic Mania with an actual Genesis control pad. The nostalgia would be immense.

20. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Didn't Taxman say they were going for a 2D game on the Saturn rather than the 32X? Plus, I don't know if the 32X could handle this (then again I'm just talking out of my ass)