don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Stimil Rc.

Stimil Rc.

I love the Unleashed style games and am excited for this, but is anyone else disappointed that the Lost World mechanics don't seem to be making a comeback? I've played both versions and, for all the things I feel Dimps did wrong, I actually enjoyed the 3DS version a lot more than the Wii U/PC version and felt that Dimps had the right idea when it came to stages that allowed the player to make good use of the wall running system to take alternate paths.

I think the stages that best show this off are every 2D stage, Windy Hill Zone 1 and 2, Silent Forest Zone 2, and Sky Road Zone 3 (which I feel has the only tolerable gyro controls in the entire game).

I found it to be generally superior control-wise, but I hate having an automated homing attack, having more than one homing move, how the homing attack and double jump are on the same input (which I feel is even worse than the homing attack and bounce sharing inputs), and how slippery Sonic can be when moving fast. I preferred the HD version when it came to rail switching in 3D, but I like being able to adjust my speed and turn around by jumping in 2D. Also, using the Burst Wisp in Windy Hill Zone Extra has convinced me that characters like Tails and Knuckles could work with this play style.

There's a lot of potential for this formula and I feel that if Sega and Dimps built upon and learned from the mistakes of the 3DS version, they could make something I'd find at least as fun as I did Generations.

2. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Lost World unfortunately disappointed both commercially and critically. I'm almost certain Sega see it as a failed experiment. Much of its poor sales was due to platform; the Wii U's userbase is absolutely abysmal but the crux is that the game didn't do well enough to be seen as worth revisiting or even borrowing from again. Colours and Generations both did extremely well on both fronts hence the name dropping in the trailer but Lost World is almost certainly seen as a failure in Sega's eyes. I do however see where you're coming from. It had potential and some excellent ideas that shouldn't be abandoned - however I doubt we'll ever see anything from it ever again.

With Project Sonic it's clear that Sega are following the Generations formula and building on the foundation of that game - so that's where Project Sonic is headed.

3. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    My biggest concern is that it's gonna be a rehash of Generations with nothing new added. The moves Sonic pulled off in the teaser all seem to scream "boosting obstacle course," which is what some of the less-than-stellar levels in Unleashed/Colors/Generations were.

4. bombatheechidna

bombatheechidna

This is a pretty good theory for Project Sonic 2017. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfzzXvfkdOA

5. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    My comment regarding that theory (that's a dirty word here):

This actually makes a lot of sense! In addition, I think the timeline or reality itself may have split into a few alternate universes, as Sonic Lost World and Sonic Boom seems to have gone on, but in a split reality Dr. Robotnik DID realize how he never wanted to be as disappointing as the future self he's seen. Regardless of if it's Robotnik, Eggman, or Nega, there's definitely Robotnik family causing this. I'm just curious how they cross timelines again....but it could very well be Modern Sonic going back in time.....again. It's a new story that can't help but be loosely related to Generations, but at that point the 26th Anniversary would have passed. But with classic Sonic's interactions, it can't help but change the future. The question is does Modern Sonic now have "new" memories? It seems like every other major Sonic game involves time travel of some sort, it's just that one story is closed (Sonic 2006) and only the time eater was able to bring it back, regardless. So in a sense 2006 will never be forgotten by either Sonic...../end ramble.?

6. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I think you have nothing to worry about. :) The game has been in development for like forever and given they're pretty determined to not call this a direct sequel I think we can expect all-new original content and hopefully some fresh ideas. It has an original theme and is just borrowing the Generations template - the game should be fantastic.

7. Turbohog

Turbohog

I'm not as confident as you 360. Do we really know how long it's been in development? I'd be more confident if they had actually shown some gameplay. It seems odd that they wouldn't show any gameplay if it had really been in development for so long.

Anyway, at the very least I'm glad this is Sonicteam's only current Sonic game (that we know of). When Sonicteam has split up in the past to make multiple games, we've just ended up with multiple terrible games (aka 06 and secret rings).

8. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I remain cautiously optimistic! I'm quite confident just because these are the same guys that produced Colours and Generations which were both fantastic - the best Sonic games released in a decade. I don't think we know for certain how long it has been in development but it's either since Generations or since Lost World - either scenario generates quite the extensive development time. I think they didn't show gameplay not because the game isn't far along which it probably is but just because the release window is so far out. The game is practically in the distant future if it's holiday 2017. This also does as you say seem to be getting Sonic Team's entire focus. I actually thought Secret Rings was pretty good! At least in the limited amount of time I had with it.

I'm confident just because this is the Colours/Generations staff and whenever they started the game i.e. after Generations or after Lost World generates quite the lengthy development time. Also Sega's new development ethos is to delay games to focus on quality and Project Sonic is the first Sonic game along with Sonic Mania that will be affected by that.

I'd say signs are looking good! I think we'll be more reassured once they show more. Primarily some hard gameplay footage.

9. MegaMarioMan

MegaMarioMan

Banned
    Wow. I'm very happy to see 2 new Sonic games coming out next year. Can't wait for this one the most. The weird part is that this game was announced for the Nintendo NX before a Mario game for the NX was announced and doesn't have a name yet.

10. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Most likely fake but..

https://twitter.com/Yoshi1up/status/773526072537120769

[​IMG]

I guess we'll find out tonight! Delete if alreday proven BS or whatever.

11. It looks very barren. Since Sonic Unleashed they've been jamming scenery full of all sorts of crap. I'd be surprised if it were real, but I certainly wouldn't be unhappy about it.

edit: Haha, what a wonderful fake.

Via Twitter
    @Tracker_TD - "The only thing less surprising than the Sonic 2017 'leak' being a hoax... is that I'm the one who made it."
    [​IMG]

12. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yes, it's a fake. Would the faker like to step forward and reveal himself? =P I know who you are but I'll let you do it...

EDIT: Ninja'd, hahahaha

13. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Haha wow Tracker is getting better at this.

14. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    One of the better fakes/hoaxes I've seen. It almost looks genuine and real. Anyway I watched the PlayStation conference and Sonic wasn't there.

15. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Is there any indication of more getting revealed at TGS this week?

16. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    From checking NeoGAF there's nothing indicating so thus far. Hopefully we'll see more at the show - would be awesome to get an update.

17. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    I though Sonic wasn't very popular in Japan. Did Sega reveal anything new Sonic related at a previous TGS?

18. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

If there was any news, you wouldn't need to ask.

19. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Not that I recall. And also you're completely correct. Sonic is super popular in the West but barely registers on the radar in Japan. I think it's mostly because Sega's consoles were never that popular in Japan either save for the Saturn mostly because of Virtua Fighter. I'd say news at TGS is possible but unlikely.

We'll likely see more next year as we advance towards release. Potentially at E3 I would have thought.

20. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I knew TGS news was slim, but it's the last big show of the year. I was really hoping we would have more to sink our teeth into for the game than a CG teaser which tells us slightly more than nothing before 2017.

I'm sure it was staggered to give Mania time to foster hype and good will for the franchise, which was probably a good move. But after Lost World, I'd sure like affirmation that Project 2017 is going in a... beneficial direction.