don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    Wonder when Trunks is gonna update his "Thunk" comic for this?

(Apologies if it's happened, I'm not gonna dig through 80 odd pages to check...)

2. Not sure why that is there. I have fixed it:
    http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?video1=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DMifB45PYjoM&start1=0&video2=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DKxmtYdEWVzo&start2=3&authorName=RGamer

3. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    So, Sonic Mania.

First things first, actually having a conversation about the mechanics helped clear a few things up for me. I thought the Drop Dash would be like a cheap Spindash giving two mechanics that effectively do the same thing, while simultaneously missing the Peelout that functions well as a (generally) faster Spindash that you can maintain along straight areas, at the cost of being exposed to badniks. Instead, the Drop Dash actually functions as a Peelout mechanic, replacing one cost with another - instead of being exposed to badniks, you're not as fast; however, you can still maintain speeds on straights (and upwards slopes, which probably needs a bit of fixing...) because you can jump and reactivate it quickly.

As for execution, the Drop Dash isn't immediately intuitive (it feels weird having to hold a button down while landing), but it's easy enough to get used to, and having dicked around myself with a down+jump Drop Dash I think the way it has been done is the right way.

Studiopolis is pretty fun. I still have some gripes over some areas of level design (notably, there was a badnik spitting out card things... except you don't see it or the cards until you jump, and at that point the cards are already unavoidably hitting you), but then there are dick areas in the classics too. General layout and paths are incredible, very Sonic CD-like macrodesign with very Sonic 3K-like microdesign, which is the perfect mix in my opinion.

I didn't get to play Green Hill, but I did see a few people play it. Essentially the main path is near-identical to GHZ1 and GHZ2 stuck together with some slight tweaks (most notably the upper path at the end of what was GHZ2 twists round to force you along the lower path). Where the original game would have spikes blocking off a death pit, in Mania it becomes an alternate route - the lower routes are noticeably lower-route-like, being fairly safe and easy, but fairly slow in comparison to the normal route. Similarly, there are some upper routes starting from the big set of S-tunnels in old-GHZ1.

I don't need to talk about the graphics or sound - we've all seen it by now. Essentially, if the game continues this quality through ten-plus zones then I'd be more than happy to stick to my claim of "best 2D Sonic game since Sonic Advance" and may slightly upgrade that claim to "best 2D Sonic game since Sonic CD". :v:

4. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    Another Summer of Sonic attendee here!

I've said it time and time again, but I've been waiting for the real Sonic 4 ever since completing 3 & Knuckles towards the end of 1994. I've always had a huge preference for the classics over everything else that's come since - as much as I enjoyed some of the newer games, there's been a Classic Sonic-shaped hole in my life since the end of the Mega Drive era. I know exactly what I want from Sonic games, I'm extremely picky about physics, I've been a very scathing critic of a lot of Sonic games...

The reason I'm bringing this up is because I want to preface what I'm about to say with this: I'm very difficult to please when it comes to post-Adventure Sonic games.

So, what about Mania? I could honestly sum it all up in one word - perfection.

I'm not even joking, Mania felt so good to play that I almost had a tear in my eye when I was done. It's fucking beautiful, the videos don't do it justice. The graphics are stunning and the animations are so smooth. As soon as I picked up the controller and started playing through Studiopolis, it felt as though it was a game that I've been playing for my whole life. For those of us who are super-familiar with playing the classics, it takes basically no time to adjust to Mania; it feels extremely natural and accurate to the Mega Drive games. The demo booths had headphones so we were able to hear the music perfectly - it's beautiful, sounds like it came straight out of Sonic CD.

Sonic Mania really is Sonic 4 as I truly imagined it. I've honestly not been this excited for a Sonic game since I found out about Sonic Adventure in 1999.

5. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    It is definitely Act 2. Considering only GHZ and SOZ are shown in the trailer and the demo, it wouldn't make sense to just plop in another level randomly.

6. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Yeah it wasn't in act1 when I played it. Surely it's from act2.

Looking at the background it kind of suggests the zone transitions from act1 being outside to act2 being inside a factory or something similar.

7. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Do we know if each Act will contain slightly different music?

8. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Tell me about it man! I've been part of the Sonic scene since circa 2000 or so. I remember joining Sfghq just as games like Stealth's Project Mettrix and Taxman's Retro Sonic were receiving new builds and demos. I remember being there for the Egg Garden Zone demo being dropped and everything. It was an awesome time to be honest. The Dreamcast was out and everyone was super hyped for Sonic Adventure 2. The fangaming scene was buzzing back then. It's much quieter these days. Lovely to reminisce like this.

Lovely impressions Jen and a lovely post. :) I'm so happy for you getting your dream game and I'm sure many here feel the same. This is exactly what all of us have dearly wanted since 1994 so I'm certain many here are in the same position as you - as in this miraculous dreamlike announcement is making many members here profoundly happy. It's lovely to read that you're so enamoured with this announcement and that it's existence is making you so happy. I'm happy for you!

9. JennyTablina

JennyTablina

Oldbie
    Played Mania at SoS though I only got to do Studiopolis - some managed both but was trying to be mindful of the fact that the queue should keep going and SOS tends to be a packed day.

Mania was running on PCs brought in, no consoles ect. there were about 6 systems and each came with headphones, which I thought was interesting as I don't recall other demos doing that before at previous SoS demos (I could be mistaken but don't remember it) - so clearly SEGA keen to present the visuals and the sound here.

The moment I started the stage I really just gelled with the controls, not like Sonic 4 where it was kind of like "uhh what?" - I know this isn't a super surprise but just wanted to share that, it felt like classic, maybe even slightly better? Spindash has decent power in it and everything felt right.

Got a massive Sonic CD vibe from the level in terms of visuals, animation and music. Was basically running about and exploring different roads while also running into things of interest. Badniks didn't feel placed for pure sake of messing up run, they are familiar but also different without just being expies.

There's also a big light up sign with what I guess is a "Film Director Eggman" that looks a bit flattering or closer to Modern Eggy rather than Classic? I have not really seen it mentioned and not read this entire thread so might already have been brought up.

10. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Man these impressions are amazing and enlightening to read. Keep them coming! I'm enjoying reading all the positive feedback. So far Mania has been dowsed with glowing praise and it's so promising and amazing to read. So glad the game is resonating with so many of you. It seems like it's shaping up to be quite the fantastic game. Amazing!

11. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

I drew this to celebrate the occasion at the time.

[​IMG]

Man I can't beleive that was 11 years ago now haha.

12. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    I still say DRX dropping Sonic on the 32X was the biggest mic drop moment in the entire history of the community. When Stealth dropped [strike]the Sega CD[/strike] EDIT: Got my dates wrong, it was when Stealth had dropped the GBA version proof of concept, I thought that was end game, and then like a day later DRX one upped everyone.

Such an awesomely nerdy moment that sadly much of the internet missed. It sticks with me years later.

13. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Though it was only a proof of concept, I thought Stealth's Sonic the Hedgehog GBA hack was a great feat. Especially since it was pretty much just to show Sega how majorly they blew it with their Sonic GBA remake.

Edit: Ninja'd by CoolJerk's edit

14. Mors

Mors

Fangame Creator Member
    Turkey
    Super Mario Flashback
    I love how people mention it without knowing Stealth is the guy behind Sonic 1 and 2 mobile ports (and Mania).

15. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I'm pretty sure that we know that he worked on those. :v:

16. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Who is stealth??

17. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    What's Sonic Mania