don't click here

THE KEN PENDERS CHRONICLES: a man you Ken DePenders on

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The KKM, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Speeps

Speeps

I can't believe this guy is seriously trying to get the rights to an established character just so he can use him in a project that he hasn't even gotten one book out for yet. :colbert:

If he seriously believes the rights to Knuckles are something SEGA will actually give him after all the problems he's caused for them, then by all means I demand the rights to Sonic for all the terrible fanfiction I never finished as a kid either.

2. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    I'm trying to put myself in his shoes to imagine what I'd do in his situation.

I think my decision is "I would have cut my losses years ago"

3. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Good news, everyone. Your pre-Worlds Collide collections are probably going to go up in worth :P

Because Archie would be stupid to let this continue.

Two previous creators who - in a situation with Archie having competent legal protection - would have no leg to stand on legally are able to run circles around them.

Archie would be stupid not to settle out this time. But that means setting a huge precedent for other pre-Flynn creators coming back and getting a piece. I shudder to think what would happen if Karl Bollers dipped his toe in this pool.

I believe in fair compensation for creators with re-prints if that was agreed upon. If it wasn't but Archie left themselves open to that kind of attack, that's their fault. Doesn't matter the lack of merit of that particular creator. Archie done-goofed.

The only thing that matters now is how if at all this effects Flynn. But considering the content is now limited to pre-existing characters from other media, the games themselves and Flynn's OCs, I think we can safely say he probably won't feel much from this from a creative standpoint.

Archie from a business perspective though... that might get dicey.

4. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    When will this shit show end?

How much more delusional is this guy gonna get?

5. JennyTablina

JennyTablina

Oldbie
    They already pretty much cut almost anyone related to the old continuity bar the SATAM characters at this point right?

TBH I would scrap any re-prints pre-Genesis wave and just fully focus on the new one. It sucks to lose legit means of getting those older issues but I'ld rather have new Archie over old Archie by miles.

That said not surprised this happened, the moment Ken got his win it was maybe a matter of time before someone else took advantage of what seems like some *really* lax admin on Archie's part.

Moral of the story: Contracts and admin may seem like annoying guff, but one day might save you from a very stupid lawsuit.

6. Tylinos

Tylinos

Except for characters made by Ian Flynn, who they presumably have under a pretty tight "we get your stuff" contract now. His pre-reboot characters are mostly still around.

7. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    -reads tweet-

...what the hell kinda lawyer would even take the case? They're soulless, not stupid...

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya know, for shits and gigs I've been reading some of the Knuckles comics. Jesus Christ, Knuckles is Jesus and it goes into shit that's not only stupid but would be bound to go over kids heads. Like, they even need little info boxes to explain complex words. It's a comic for kids. Why have big words then in the first place? Then there's Knuckles Dad, who is God, and the order of the other Gods that hang out in that techno zone which is odd because they are part of the faction that dismissed technology, and then there are the ants that are the collective holy spirit. There's more too, like that time Knuckles walked on the Red Sea to get the Jews to the holy land water to get the Echidnas to Albion, but suffice to say it's all ridiculous, and why Penders is so attached to his Echidna Bible is beyond me.

Haven't finished the series yet, I just got to the part where the art turns to shit (around issue 20). I can't wait to read about the time Remington was trapped in the belly of the whale for 3 days and that time when Knuckles told the Chaotix the parable about the Good Mobian.

9. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1257586

I'm aware this is neofag we're talking, but holy shit look at all these losers defending Penders. Like, it confuses me that people think Penders didn't deserve that rant or whatever.

10. Tylinos

Tylinos

Err, what? I'm only two pages in, and the only real defending of Penders in there is people saying Andrearitsu was being a dick in those tweets. Most of the other posts are about how they think Penders sucks.

11. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

It's also people saying "lol, cuz Sonic and his fans suck."

12. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Despite writing for him, theres also another reason you don't have those rights:

*ahem*

KNUCKLES
    IS
    NOT
    YOUR
    F U C K I N G
    CHARACTER

JEsus CHRIST.

13. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    But
    [​IMG]

14. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    At this point I think it's clear Ken needs to be institutionalized.

15. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I think we can all agree that this is the general reaction to that tweet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    [​IMG]

Fuck everything

17. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    Totally what a kid would want to read from a Sonic comic :P

18. LowSeasCaroz

LowSeasCaroz

Hessia, Germany
    Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
    Now I know why there is so much fanfiction and Rule 34 for Sonic:
    Ken Penders started it all!
    Although, judging from this comic maybe Penders thought of Kuckles as a closet homosexual? :v:
    This is really weird. And confusing.
    But mostly just WEIRD.

19. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    ...he did claim Rotor and an echidna scientist were gay...

...does he just have a thing for gay echidnas?

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    [​IMG]

The gang's all here guys. GROUP HUG.

Who's your favorite not Knuckles? I like the shadowy edge lord one and the one on the top right who, from what I can tell, is just a darker red Knuckles. No thought was given.