don't click here

Sonic Overture Thread [Sunrise Gate Zone Demo Available]

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Jassbec, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Oh, Sonic Mania.
    It's always fun to have some healthy competition.

2. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    Indeed Mr. Lange sir.

3. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    It isn't competition if you're releasing this for free. :specialed:

If anything, Sonic Mania should boost interest in Sonic fan games and Sonic style indie games.

4. akumajobelmont

akumajobelmont

Just wanted to chime in and say that Sonic Overture, and the recent other Sonic developments finally made me decide to join these boards, rather than just reading them. So, I'm new... HI! :)

I absolutely cannot wait for the next build of Sonic Overture. Everything about it speaks to me, and that music... holy hell. It's been on daily rotation with me for the last while. I've played the demo more times than I can count.

Really, really pumped for this!

5. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    If you've made your own engine, why not go the Freedom Planet and make your own unique game?

6. For one thing, a fan-game would let them put the engine through its paces and make sure it has everything necessary to make a full game, without the pressure and costs of developing a commercial game, advertising, getting it put on Steam, etc. If something comes up and delays this by a year or so, no big deal. Once you know it can do everything you need to make a game because you've made one before, you'd be much more confident in your engine.

7. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    I think it's obvious I don't mean business competition lol. I mean competition in spirit; we're aiming to create a really spectacular fangame and want Overture to have high standards, and Mania is certainly a motivating force to keep up with.

Welcome, and thank you, we can't wait to deliver.

I did mention we have plans for it beyond Overture didn't I? If you mean why not make Overture into an original game, that would defeat the purpose. The contexts created by the concepts it's based upon are what the game is about and largely what makes it appealing. There would be no point if all that was removed, it would essentially be the same as canceling the game for something else entirely.
    We've gotten this suggestion from others too so hopefully anyone else wondering that will read this.

And yes, what Kharen said; developing this first helps makes sure we're ready and the engine is ready to take on a commercial project.

8. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    So have we discussed price yet? I don't think we have.

What do you think SEGA will charge for this title?

9. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    So this upcoming demo that you guys will release soon, will it have 2 zones or more? Just asking out of curiosity.

10. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    I'd reply with a reaction pic, but I'm afraid that would make me look bland and boring.
    So I'll just say: well put, Lanzer.

11. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Can we not, please?

12. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    I don't understand...

13. akumajobelmont

akumajobelmont

So, any news as to when we can expect the next demo release? I know you guys are holding it for SAGE, but I have no idea when that even is - are we able to get a time frame?

Also, any chance that you could release some more music to tide us over? ;)

14. Felik

Felik

SAGE is in october

15. akumajobelmont

akumajobelmont

Cheers for that! :)

16. GHNeko

GHNeko

sega stockholm syndrome Member
    テキサス、アメリカ
    Hybrid Souls Card Game
    Oh yeah this looks hype. I'm excited for this.

(though I'm more excited to get my hands on Teal more than play the game you're making wwww)

17. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    If Sonic Teal get release whenever...does that mean Sonic Worlds will be obsolete?

18. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Depends on how user friendly Teal is, which is largely the appeal of Worlds/Multimedia Fusion.

I'm sure that they'll make a separate thread for Teal when there's enough to talk about though.

19. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Add me to the list of people that would also like to know when a new demo is coming out. Excited to play a new build of this! It looks awesome.

20. winterhell

winterhell

If you are comfortable programming in a 'real' language like C#, then sure you'll be able to use it. It is very unlikely that they'll go to specific lengths to make designer-friendly logic insertion ala GameMaker and MMF2. So if you don't want to/cant program, you'll be constrained to the level editor and tweaking parameters/swapping sprites.

I'd say this is the biggest reason games are still made in Sonic Worlds & Co., the artists and designers cannot program. Conversely programmers don't make art so making games on their own is out of the question.
    Yes I know I am talking about 99% of the people and there is 1% who can do both.