don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    You know your entire post is kinda bullshit but man you really do not know what "objectively" means.

Also

You're saying they're going to cease and desist us right after allowing the Mega Drive Classics Hub to exist, letting people put their rom hacks on Steam. And also that they'd do something that'd make the entire Sonic Mania dev team incredibly pissed at them.

Also Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3 is an actual fangame that's being heavily advertised by Sega. So that's a thing.

Thing is, if Sega really wanted to cease and desist Sonic fangames, they would have done so a very long time ago. If anything there couldn't be worse possible timing than now for Sega to cease and desist us.

2. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    No, I'm nowhere close to saying that they're going to do anything. I'm wondering if there might be an elevated risk. Companies are forced into doing weird contradictory things to protect their intellectual property sometimes. But like I said, I'm not actually worried.

3. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Pulse0 - your fangame, Sonic Neo Genesis, is built using a modified Fusion Engine, which is itself a community effort to implement the physics guide in a WYSIWYG multimedia fusion engine. This makes your entire position - repeated a few times throughout this topic - that Sonic Mania is no different from any other fangame ridiculous. Wht is Sonic Mania different? Because it's using the evolution of engines that date back to 1997 and 2003. That physics guide exists period because of people like Tax and Stealth. Your stance seems extra flippant when you realize that your accomplishment isn't quite as far reaching as Mania in the first place - rebuilding the fusion engine is vastly different than creating a multiplatform game engine from scratch like Tax did with the Retro Engine.

Anybody can make a Sonic engine from scratch these days, yeah, it's not that hard when the entire thing has been documented front to back. It's one thing to follow a guide, it's another thing to actually write the book.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Somebody rename this topic to FANGAMES GENERAL because that's what it's about. :argh:

5. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Shouldn't it be Fangames Official :v:

6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Wow. The rest of this discussion started sucking.

Are you really sure about that? Think about it. Only stages from S1, S2 and CD exist - there's nothing from S3 or SK except Angel Island. And that's only the original versions of the zones with the existing layouts, old art and without the new bosses. GHZ2 is a wholly original act that takes place in that cave, with a new layout not seen in before at all. The remaining reimagined zones will presumably getting the same treatment. That means there's a least four more zones to redraw with two act layouts to devise for each, more music to remix, more bosses to make and everything else. Again, GHZ1 has already been said to be the tamest. It's not a stretch to think that the others are going to be more exciting. The fact that S1, S2 and SCD already exist in the engine is neither here nor there because there's so much more work to be done on top.

Although I'll be honest and say I'll be surprised if we don't finally see this beauty fully realised in all it's glory.

I'm not really trying to make make SEGA look bad here. If anything, I'm as stoked to see the reimagined zones as much as I am any new ones, like the amazing Studiopolis. But Windy Hill is a super unoriginal and lazy piece of design, that got rehashed twice within one game. It's layout was something entirely new of course with Lost World being a totally different type of game, but all they did to differentiate it from Green Hill was replace the palm tress with pine trees. Generations' Green Hill felt more exciting, and it was supposed to be remake. Lost World gets zero points for originality. When it's not lifting things right out of the Classics, it's lifting them from Mario instead.

7. Turbohog

Turbohog

Can we move the fangame/bullshit discussion somewhere else? (Hopefully into non-existance)

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Or two completely different Wonder Boy IIIs.

9. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    It was a couple of years before their own re-release, and somehow despite having ceased and desisted they managed to publicly release a patch a few years later.

10. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Okay, let's talk about the game itself then.

I don't think many people have addressed this yet: I do hope the game is challenging. In none of the footage I've seen has anyone died. If we can just blast through it without any real threats, I don't think it would feel very satisfying.

I don't want any Metropolis style dick moves, but the levels should be at least somewhat tricky for a first time player.

So far it looks to be fairly hazard free, at least in contrast to Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

11. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    Sonic games have never really been difficult, and for all we know, those could be the first two zones we're seeing. I wouldn't start judging its difficulty until you get your hands on it.

12. Turbohog

Turbohog

That's a legitimate concern. It's been a while since I've played any of the classics (or any game at all), but I remember being pretty satisfied with Sonic 3 & Knuckle's level of difficulty. I remember dying at times throughout the game, but it never made me mad. I think I probably dyed most from bosses and the ground shifting part of Marble Garden zone.

I guess we don't know how far into the game Studiopolis will appear. Green Hill is obviously the first level, so it should be easy. Hopefully the later levels in the game are challenging.

On a side note, do we know if we are getting two acts per level?

13. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I've seen people die. Maybe all the footage you've seen are from people generally good at Sonic games.

Not that I did much dying in Sonic games outside of boss battles anyway. Like someone else said, Sonic games have never really been...hard per se.

14. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I've heard the difficulty is generally decent, but the footage thus far is mostly people not familiar with Sonic's platforming conventions, so I doubt it will be particularly rough going for players familiar with how general Sonic level design works.

15. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    From what we have seen, I think there is a strong suggestion these zones may unfold over the course of Act 1 and 2, just like the transitions from Act 1 to Act 2 in Sonic 3&K. It would actually be a step backwards if they didn't do this, considering the precedent was already set on a 20 year old game.

It's BRILLIANT really!

1. You give the hard pull of nostalgia that some portions of the audience will be drawn to.

2. You can expand on the old zones in a way that builds on old conventions and the established tropes in new imaginative ways, which is a treat for long times fans who are familiar.

3. We still 100% new content in classic form, which in itself is something I never thought would happen.

I honestly feel like this is a personal dream come true. It's perfect, almost like I've had this game made personally for me. Sometimes reading this form it comes off like there is more disagreement and hostility than appreciation. That's just the nature of the internet I guess, to magnify controversy.

I know 99% of us are "beyond the moon". Those people just tend to sit back and nod quietly. If anyone related to this game is reading this. I just want to say THANK YOU! You've made my year, if not decade. I am absolutely certain this will only be the beginning of a revival if the marketing can be handled properly...

16. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

There is video of the sign post landing in one of the zones and a lightning shield popping out of the ground. The only way that works is if the zones transition. And considering GHZ ends just as it gets to a new tile set, it seems obvious to me the next act is going to be GHZ underground, like how Knuckles' Ice Cap Zone act 2 begins underground.

17. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Copley / Simon! I (Yeow95/Gabe495) was curious if you had noticed Mania and would pop back into the Sega Forums to give your thoughts. Happy to see you again after all these years. Your analysis and arguments for classic Sonic games and against the PR campaign's tactics back in the day was, and still is, invaluable.

One of the best things I can confidently say about Mania is that it's bringing back to the community (once more) many old faces I haven't seen in ages, who also hold a common interest in Genesis Sonic and all that comes--and unlike with Sonic 4, this game isn't bringing people back under false pretenses.

18. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Mania is an official Sonic game being developed by extremely talented professionals. It's not a fangame in SEGA's eyes and therefore should not be treated as such. Upon Mania's release I will judge it based on it being an official game. It deserves respect and should not be treated any differently to other official games.

Now lets be honest, Mania is not Sonic 5, it's also not "Sonic 4 as you truly imagined it." Mania is a new 2d game being developed for the 25th anniversary to celebrate the classic 16bit era titles; Sonic 1, 2, CD, 3, S&K - and Knuckles Chaotix to an extent - whilst pushing 32bit in terms of visual design and physics. It's the first official 2d game in 21 years (fuck Sonic 4, which doesn't count :v:). Because it's the 25th anniversary it makes sense to remake stages from the classics as a tribute to them in addition to brand new zones. StealthTax have done enough with the remasters to prove to SEGA they can be trusted and have clearly been given a lot of freedom with Mania. There appears to be plenty of new gimmicks to make the game feel original, the 32bit visuals looks gorgeous and they are even referencing other SEGA classic games like Streets of Rage. If that isn't a love letter to fans and SEGA then I don't know what is!

Just look at what StealthTax did with Hidden Palace in the Sonic 2 remaster; a remade zone (yeah I know the original was incomplete) and it perfectly fits the fluidity of Sonic 2's other stages. So, I see no reason to be concerned. SteathTax know how to create good level design, they've had plenty of practice! I'm just so excited, it's still like 9 months from release and my hype is already through the roof.

I'm a massive fan of Sonic CD with it's gorgeous visuals, creative level design, amazing music and from what we've seen from the GH & Studiopolis footage; whilst the game does have a unique/original feel to it, Sonic's faster speed and the complex level design makes it feel like a spiritual sequel to Sonic CD. Studiopolis gives off a Collision Chaos/Wacky Workbench/Metallic Madness kind of vibe.

I always wanted a sequel to Sonic CD so I'm happy! ....but like I said, it is not a sequel.

Mania still needs to leave it's own mark, have it's own unique feel and to try and step out of the shadow of the classics (whilst acknowledging them).

Releasing it on PS4, Xb1 & Steam is a big statement. I'm also hoping (I never thought I'd hear myself say this) they'll bring it to mobile devices.

19. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I disagree. Hidden Palace is my least favorite stage in the Sonic 2 remaster. It feels jarringly different from the rest of the game to me. Not that it's bad, but Sonic 2 being my favorite of the Mega Drive trilogy...yea. My concern is that all the original stages (and original additions to old stages) will have this weird Sonic 1/CD flavor that StealthTax's (is this a thing?) level design tends towards. My concern isn't that it'll be bad.

And I'm going to treat Mania so fucking differently, just cause you told me not to.

20. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

So we know nothing about Mania's story yet. I'm really hoping we get to hear about it soon, and that it's presented in an S3K-like manner in-game. I'm really curious to see how and why old locations reappear in the narrative. Revisiting Green Hill is one thing, but going back to anywhere on Angel Island or Little Planet is a touch more difficult.