don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I've been wondering the same thing. I'm 35, which is middle-aged as fuck (and apparently past that eSports optimum zenith of the twenties), and still down with needing to react to things that appear onscreen. I love Super Bunnyhop, but I don't know what the man expects from Sonic. + - Partially redeemed though, for loving the shit out of Sonic Heroes' first zone, heh.  

2. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Modern gamers are plebeians who need to be coddled. I don't think there is much more to it than that. I have seen these kinds of complaints before, but I can't say I understand them. There really is more to Sonic than press right to go fast.

Edit: Post 3777 get!

3. Dr. Corndog

Dr. Corndog

It's been around a while. I don't recall seeing it when the games were being released, because, y'know, it's so easy to be overly critical of something a few more years down the line.

4. I'd love to see a Sonic & Tails option in Mania.

But if they do, I hope they fix Tails's weird tails thing when he jumps, kinda always looked odd to me with his tails just stuck on to a ball. How would that even work in real life? :v:

I don't think there's a reaction time problem with enemies. I also don't think anything has changed with young gamers it's just now everyone has a platform via social media to make every criticism heard.

When I was a lad you had to just like it or lump it (man that makes me sound like an old fucker!!). I remember being enraged with the art when Spinball came out, I thought it looked rubbish. I even wrote a letter to Sonic Team about it with badly drawn suggestions for levels & enemies for a new Sonic game.

I'm kinda glad there wasn't facebook back then :v:

5. While I don't think reactions were a problem in Old Sonic games, I DO agree with one thing: Sonic in widescreen is soooo much better. Sonic feels made for widescreen and it does make the games that much more accessible, I think CD was a bit ahead of its time with how it handled high speed movement but, yeah.

Also while we're talking about what I want to see, I hope the bonus stage doesn't have rotation ala Sonic 1. 60FPS Sonic 1 bonus stages actually gave me real motion sickness.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It's a feature :specialed:

Also, to be fair, Tails flying makes no sense either

[​IMG]

7. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Hmm, wonder why Taxman and Stealth haven't shown up in this thread yet? they were pretty prominent in the S1, 2, and CD threads back when they first got announced.

8. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    I would imagine since it's a new title and not a refresh of an old one they probably can't really talk about it, either with Sega imposed or personally imposed embargo's.

9. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I can understand the complaint. The camera in the classic Sonic games is pretty close to Sonic, unlike in other platformers where the camera is more zoomed out so that the players always know what's ahead of them. It's not something a lot of people are used to, and can especially be a problem in a game where you're moving around as fast as Sonic.

And I've had it happen as well. There have definitely been times in the classic games where I was hit by a badnik or obstacle and it felt like it happened because the game didn't give me enough time to react.

10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    You used to get it from the hardcore Nintendo squad - it depends on what diet you were fed as a child.

11. @Dark Sonic - hahaha still doesn't explain Tail's spin attack!!

@Lanzer - I would have thought it's because they know that if they come on here, they will get hounded with requests! Best they just get on with it a'la S2HD

12. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Don't misunderstand me; widescreen and (ideally, though some people don't like this AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHY) a 'predictive' camera at high speeds can mitigate a lot of these problems and are totally optimal. Sonic 4's camera, as Super Hunnybop rightly pointed out, is a veritable taco of fail and puke (even if episode 2 occasionally pulled the camera back, a mild improvement but an improvement nonetheless). Never really considered it too big a problem for the classic non-boost platforming though; especially since level design consistently aids player comprehension and telegraphs speed sections versus platform sections.

13. LowSeasCaroz

LowSeasCaroz

Hessia, Germany
    Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
    Let's just say this: While good level design certainly helps, being able to see what's coming in front of you is still necessary. It allows players to explore the levels more freely without constantly getting hit. I've actually had that problem A LOT in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and it's one of the reasons why I never had as much fun with it as with the other 16-bit Sonics. But with a better "camera", that game could become much more accessible to people who haven't played it since their childhood.
    And maybe future Sonic games could take Sonic 2 on the Master system as an example: Due to system limitations, that game had small sprites, but this also made the game more fair, despite being rather difficult in its level design, because it was much easier to see what's coming in front of Sonic than in the Mega Drive games. The game gear version of the exact same game had a much smaller playfield and was an unfair mess because of it.

14. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    I'm a big fan of the widescreen, but I'm one of those folks who dislikes the predictive camera, so I'll try to articulate why in case it helps you understand.

Neurologically, I'm more comfortable when my character's location on the screen is mostly stable. That way, I'm only tracking Sonic against the terrain. If the camera scrolls ahead and back all the time, then I'm having to track Sonic against the screen and the terrain, which adds another variable. This isn't a conscious thing, just a short of second nature, "how I'm used to it feeling", thing.

During boss fights Sonic isn't centred, but in that case the screen is not moving, so again I'm only tracking Sonic against one thing - the screen.

That said, Sonic CD's predictive camera is not as bad as the one in e.g. Donkey Kong Country, because it doesn't scroll until you are moving fast. Games that scroll ahead merely based on the player's facing direction feel like they are always in flux and hinder my employment a lot more.

Sonic CD (the original) doesn't let me turn the predictive camera off and I still love it, so even if Sonic Mania breaks with the remakes' tradition and forces it on me I'll be just fine regardless.

15. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I just find it a bit odd he was able to go over to NeoGAF day of the announcement and confirm the CRT filter but nothing here day of or after. then again he hasn't posted on GAF since the 24th soo...

I doubt it, were pretty tame when it came to the remake-ports and I'm sure whatever is in this game at this point is set in stone, nothing we can say can change it.

Though I want Desert Dazzle and Final Fever to make an appearance but thats just me.

16. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Very well-articulated. You raise a good point here, and I totally agree about DKC's camera (I'd go as far as saying it's garbage, the worst thing of what is otherwise a more than serviceable platformer). I'll concede that the 'predictive' camera should only really kick in at speed - circular legs or above - because this is when it would be of more benefit.

17. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    Stealth was here a few days ago.
    Here's it is http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=35709&view=findpost&p=865281

18. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    Non-disclosure agreement?

19. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    This is such a no-brainer I'm surprised the question was asked in the first place. I'd bet a diddle-eyed Joe to a damned if I know, etc.

Having said this, not everybody knows about NDAs I guess...

20. Sorry if this was already posted... but I hadn't noticed this.
    The bonus stages will be like in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, right?

[​IMG]

Here is an analysis from GameXplain. They mentioned it too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSB_APVzwyY