don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    They're not going to listen -_-

2. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    People are tripping if they think fangames are ever as good as Taxman's official SEGA products.

I love the fangames, they are great. But Whitehead is a gaming great.

This fangame controversy is utterly ridiculous.

3. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Actually the background of GHZ does remind me of something I did way back:
    [​IMG] - [​IMG]

However theirs is so much better.

4. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Your work is very impressive, well done!

Still, I think the art in Sonic Mania isn't quite as overwhelmingly bright, sorry :v:

5. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    [​IMG]

6. Pengi

Pengi

Aquatic Ruin Zone and Marble Garden Zone are the two remixed stages I'm crossing my fingers for.

In terms of extra modes I'd like to see:

Time Attack - Separate record boards for each character. Sonic with Super Sonic enabled should be separate from regular Sonic.

Boss Rush - Whitehead wanted a cohesive one in Sonic 2, so I'm confident we'll get one here.

Special Stage Rush - Like Sonic Jam had. Play all Special Stages in order. Maybe also let you replay individual Special Stages like Sonic CD did.

No Rings Mode - Play through the game without any rings, for a harder challenge.

2 Player Versus - Done Sonic 2 style, but with a few different rule sets to choose from. So you could have the Sonic 2 system where it keeps track of rings, items collected, enemies defeated etc, or a simple race where the winner is the first to reach the goal. Maybe even a treasure hunt mode, where the first player to collect X amount of Red Star Rings wins? Since Sonic, Tails and Knuckles have different abilities, there should be an option for both players to pick the same character - maybe a grey-scale clone like in Sonic the Fighters. Or Metal Sonic, Tails Doll and Metal Knuckles if they want to go all out.

Pinball - Sonic Generations and Sonic Adventure had pinball mini-games, so why not?

And not really an extra mode, but I think the stage select menu should let you know how many giant rings you've found in each stage. Finding them was a big part of the fun in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, so it would be nice for the game to keep track.

Agreed. I'd love to see character art for all the new badniks. It would be cool if they hired someone like Tyson Hesse or Patrick Spaziante to do "box art" and other illustrations.

7. bombatheechidna

bombatheechidna

Since everyone's naming all of the zones they want to see I'll do it too. I don't want too many remade stages so I'll ony say 3. Ice Cap Zone, Lava Reef Zone and Botanic Base. I slso wouldn't mind any stages from Sonic Triple Trouble. Game Gear games need love too.

8. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I'd rather see levels from Chaos, because I find Chaos to be the better game. :P But I get what you're saying, at least there is a Game Gear Easter egg in Studiopolis Zone Act 1. :v: It would be cool to see something that ties in with the game gear games, maybe some sort of gimmick. (And not the damn hang glider from Sky High Zone in Sonic 2. Dx But maybe the rocket shoes from Chaos/Triple Trouble, and maybe the pogo spring monitors too.)

9. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Is English not your first language? What confuses you?

Edit: Here, maybe this will help you.

Sonic Mania looks amazing, but it looks amazing in a way that we've been accomplishing for a while now. It's certainly more polished than anything anyone here has made and it's "official", but I'd expect at least this from any one of our fangaming greats if Sega dropped a wad of cash and said "make us a game". Lake, Hez, a couple others whose names escape me. We've got a lot of talent in this community.

That this is officially bankrolled and audited by Sega doesn't really matter that much to me. I'm excited, but I'm not foaming at the mouth like a lot of people are. I'm used to this much by people like Stealth and Taxman.

10. Pengi

Pengi

The advantage of borrowing from the 16-bit games is that the graphics only need a little bit of touching up. The Game Gear levels would need to be completely overhauled, redone from scratch. For all that time and effort, it would make more sense to create a brand new level instead.

Sonic Rush Adventure had a hang glider system that actually worked. I'm sure the Sonic Mania team would have no trouble making it a fun mechanic.

But yeah, pogo spring would be neat too!

11. bombatheechidna

bombatheechidna

When you say feel that actually means you played the game?

12. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    Nice! I think the team should take a page from your book on how to detail the checker patterns.

13. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    I like these.

Unlockable would be best for replay value. Should have to work hard to earn Boss Rush Mode!

A new piece of development art, or whatnot should be earned with each game completion...

14. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    No, wise guy, I haven't. But that doesn't mean I can't get a feeling from a trailer either.

I'll reiterate: Me saying it feels like a fangame is NOT a criticism or a demerit. I'm not saying it feels unpolished or unworthy or whatever other negative connotation people seem to associate with the word. At all. Not in the slightest. Hasn't crossed my mind a fucking inch.

15. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    http://youtu.be/-BCf-3lSMug

8 minutes of direct feed gameplay.

16. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    This can in no way be compared to a fangame. Why? Unlike every fangame ever, this game will actually ship a completed final version.

17. Turbohog

Turbohog

Great footages. Thanks for sharing TimmiT. I hope we can leave behind this fangame discussion. I'm tired of it to be honest.

Like others have said, I wish we were able not getting original levels. I tbink it was probably Sega's decision to include old levels though. I think I'll be happy as long as we don't get any of the the levels that were in Sonic Generations.

I'll be happy with any of the levels from Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles as I can't think of a level where disliked from those games. I suppose Marble Garden would be pretty neat. I'm not sure what I'd like to see from Sonic 2. Probably not Emerald Hill or Hill Top Zone though (they fill too similar to o Green Hill's theme).

18. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    Hey how were you able to record that game play video? EXPLAIN!

19. Studiopolis looks great, but the new additions to Green Hill confuse me a bit... However, I won't complain about anything until I play it.
    Anyway, the fire shield looks very detailed, I like it.

20. Felik

Felik

Don't wanna add to the fangame/not fangame discussion but what you just said is simply not true.