don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Jesus Christ we're finally getting a new 2D Sonic game with new levels and great physics and people are asking for old levels.

No no no, no no no no no no no no. Thankyou.

2. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    We're getting them whether we want them or not, so we might as well make the best of it.

I don't want level rehashes, but apparently it was a mandate.

3. I mean yeah it tends to happen when they state that they're bringing back a bunch of old levels (and we've only seen GHZ). It's always fun to speculate WHAT levels they're bringing back, particularly if they're redoing them completely in terms of layout and design.

We're not really asking for old levels perse but they've stated they're gonna be in the game so we're projecting what old levels we'd LIKE to see, not like we can change the fact that they're gonna be there.....

EDIT: I got sniped hard, crud. Kudos to the above poster.

You know what'd be fun to speculate? What kinds of minibosses are we gonna get? The dual Egg Ball N Chain concept was pretty neat, wonder what other cool stuff they have in mind....

4. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    Right on cue!

I get what you're putting down, but I'll also admit that I am a total sucker for "Hey, remember that thing you liked? Want it again but kinda different so it feels new again?" and I will fully embrace that side of Sonic Mania.

5. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    I would prefer that we got more new zones, rather then the remastered zones. BUT, seeing as how we are getting remastered zones, I am looking on the positive side.

I really liked what I saw with GHZ, and if they do the same with the other remastered zones, or even more, then this has the potential to be really awesome.

Think of it this way, it's as though after all these years of knowing these zones inside and out, we'll get to experience them even further and deeper. It's like gaining additional perspective. There is a lot to be excited about and so many ways this can go. Like, that cave section of GHZ was really awesome, and that was only the beginning.

6. NoNameAtAll

NoNameAtAll

MY HAT'S ON FIRE. HALP! Moderator
    Does that explain how the cannon got stuck in your head? :v: *Shot for bad joke*

I haven't said anything yet, but I can only echo what everyone else has. This all looks amazing and this is only with two zones! Green Hill's added bits are great and the subtle details that are added just scream genius to me.

And Studiopolis...I can't even begin to explain it. The graphical style, the sound effects...the whole presentation just made my jaw drop.

I eagerly await seeing what else the game has to offer and I'll happily get it for PC (Assuming my laptop can run it, lol.)

7. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Let's hope all the old zones have a fresh twist; I want to see what happens when the Flying Battery bombs the shit out of Ice Cap instead of Angel Island. Skeletal rock forms, with nasty spikes galore; but new routes opened up amidst the ever-melting slush.

8. winterhell

winterhell

What is the game's native resolution? 224/240p or 480p ?

9. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    To the guys who responded to my last post. To redo old levels reduces the replayability of old games, wastes development time that could be used for developing new levels and makes you feel like you're playing the same thing again and gives the impression that you don't understand what made the originals great in the first place which is the core mechanics, as in that it should be the only thing carried over to each new game. If there's anything that makes Sonic Mania a fan game it's seeing Green Hill Zone yet again in an official release. While it's impossible for this new GHZ to be replaced, I hope it's the last bloody time I ever see it pop up in an official Sonic game again. No more, old levels have been beaten to death, the more times it happens, the more their charm wears thin.

10. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    It's definitely higher than 240p, you can see that clearly. I'm guessing 480p.

11. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I wouldn't be surprised if it is something Sega demanded. Old levels have a lot nostalgic marketability. But even if it wasn't something Sega required, I still have faith that Taxman and Stealth will make it awesome. Although I prefer all new levels, I am personally also looking forward to having a fresh take on old favourites.

12. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    The game appears to run at 424x240, just like the mobile ports. So, slightly higher vertical resolution than the Genesis games, but it's still 240p.

13. While I respect this stance I very politely must disagree. The old games are replayable in their own merits. I play a ton of Sonic rom hacks and yet I still go back to the originals despite the improvements (outside of like, Sonic 3 Complete but that's a big bugfix and a half). Different strokes for different folks I guess, but I love seeing familiar things twisted into something new, maybe I'm a victim of marketing but it fascinates me and I love it. If anything Sonic Mania is going to make me want to go back to those old games after I beat it, and then back to Mania over and over again I bet. I love seeing things like GHZ with the EHZ corkscrew and the cave section + the new miniboss, the idea of breathing new life into something old through level design and some fresh idea mixing + blending old stuff together to me is interesting and entertaining both in design and in principle. It's part of why rom hacks appeal to me. I'm also of the opinion that if Sonic Mania's redesigned zones make the old zones they're based off of lose their replay value then there was likely a problem with that zone to begin with. If it was well-designed before, even if Mania does it better, it won't change that said zone was fun to play through before.

Again though, that's just me. I'm also partially biased because I want to play as Knuckles in a Sonic CD level and the opportunity has finally come. He was the only thing missing in the Taxman port for me.

14. Awesome idea!!

15. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    Instead of remaking the old zones, why not the scrap zone such as Dust Hill (Desert Dazzle merge with it maybe) or Hidden Palace zone (S2 Ver). It would be amazing to see the scrap zones getting justice after all these years. Hell since both Taxman and Stealth has accessed to them, they might as well remake them as new zones. Then again it would be awesome to see more original zones like Studiopolis.

UPDATE: I just realized what I said about Hidden Palace but it would've been done better than the mobile. It was a bit unusual how it is on the mobile port. I wasn't too please by how the way it is now. I prefer the beta version. Sorry, sometimes I can be a bit picky/critic on certain stuff.

16. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Okay, again, this is already in place BY SEGA. It is not being undone at this point. I, you and A LOT of people want original levels only, but that is not what is being done for Mania.

So it makes no difference to make hoped for levels. Because it's not in our OR Taxman and Stealth's control to change.

Thems the brakes.

17. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    This. I highly doubt any of the guys thought "Wow, we're on to make an official Sonic game...let's just revamp old levels and make a couple new ones." I think it's a design choice that's definitely open to criticism (I know I'd prefer all original levels), but I'd put money on it coming from Sonic Team/SEGA supervisors.

18. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

:v:

19. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    I believe that they're not the same. I mean look at the ball thing that Robotnik had on. It's a diamond shape, not a star.
    I think I found the evidence that you're trying to present to us.

[​IMG]