don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Watch from 9:45. There's a checkpoint literally right before the goal in Studiopolis 1, so it's quite likely that there'll be a boss there in the final game and it's simply not present in this demo for whatever reason.

2. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    I want to preface with this: I am so happy. Saying what I love about it is only going to be repeating the previous 16+ pages of discussion.

However, just a few concerns:
    I LOVE the music and its CD audio and 32-bit inspirations, but I hope there's more melodic content in the rest of the original zones. Something I notice in the music of this day and age is that it's either driven by vocals or it's rap, which tends to have the same cues going over and over in the background. There's nothing wrong with that, mind you. I'm not a rap person, but I really appreciate all music and I think every style has something to give. Still, something about so much video game music, including Sonic to this day, is that the music has such strong melodic content. Stuff you can sing or hum, whether you're doing it voluntarily or not. There's nothing wrong with not having powerful melodies in the music, but I think it would be a missed opportunity to create some more instantly classic Sonic tunes.

Anyway, I'm still very happy. I will buy multiple copies of this game (hopefully... maybe) and get the soundtrack in physical form if they release it that way. It really sucks that it's not coming out until Spring 2017 (and who knows if it'll get pushed back at all), but I suck at 2D Sonic anyway. I'll still play it and love it, but as long as the community's generally happy, I'll be too. You guys are awesome and this is finally the game (most of us) have been waiting for.

3. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I totally missed that, good catch!

4. Liraxus

Liraxus

Some shmuck Member
    Idiotville
    Nothing, really.
    Dear god, did anyone else notice the island on the title screen is literally in the shape of Sonic's head? The attention to detail is astounding...

5. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    The PlayStation blog said the game was a digital-download release in their announcement of the game.

With that said, I would be more than willing to buy a retail release with the TaxStealth's Sonic 1, 2, and CD remakes included.

6. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Colour me impressed. Project: Sonic Retro as I truly imagined it. + - Seriously <3  

7. Blast Brothers

Blast Brothers

If you look closer, the base water color has been altered to better match the shade of the the palette-cycling part of the background:
    [​IMG]
    Awesome attention to detail.

Also, this thing is somehow both a better S3K sequel and a better 32x Sonic at the same time. Preorders start when? [​IMG]

8. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Just to chip in, upstairs in the VIP area you could play the game with a Genesis converter, at least in the last hour of the event. Felt fantastic to play it that way.

9. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    I literally had a dream last night about sonic mania after watching the stream. I feel like I am 6 years old again.

10. aliialii

aliialii

La la laaaaa~ Member
    Sonic seems to have an extra animation in-between walking and running, did anyone else notice this?

(Pause quickly between 0:33-0:34.)

11. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Limited Runs Games is a publisher in the PC space who specializes in making very special, physical releases of PC games. Sega should hit them up to do a physical release of Sonic Mania. Their release of Shovel Knight is probably their best known work. I have their Shovel Knight and Axiom Verge releases, and both are amazing.

12. If you plan to play on PC, you might want to pick up one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-Inc-Genesis-GN6-USB-Controller/dp/B00KX75UT6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1469317711&sr=8-2&keywords=hyperkin+genesis

...as far as I know this works on mobile via an OTG adapter and will probably work on PS4/XBone as well. Unfortunately this doesn't work with mobile via OTG, PS4 or XBone.

Also, I've seen a hundred different names for it at this point; did anybody pay attention to the trailer? It's very, VERY clearly called DROP DASH. Stop calling it "drop spin" and "drop boost" and all that other shit.

13. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    If they did up a box to look like a Saturn release, I would totally buy it.

14. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

It does not work on PS4 or Xbone. Both of those systems require the controllers be verified by the system, standard HID is not supported. You can get them working on the PS4 and Xbone with a device like the Chronus Max, though.

Me, I'll be playing with this:

[​IMG]

15. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsFHfrfQEbM

It's crazy to think where things were 10 years ago. :v:/>

16. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Are you sure you're not confusing Limited Run with some other publisher? They only specialize in PlayStation platforms, and haven't done releases for Shovel Knight nor Axiom Verge.

17. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    Sonic Mania looks SO sexy! I am pleased to see the true classic style return. This could lead to so many more possibilities in the future. Good job to those who have made this possible! :)/>

18. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Probably been said several times, but hats off to whoever cut that trailer, that trailer was fucking on point. The music was great, so was the message - I actually got giddy when I saw "Sega Proudly Presents" on the screen. I like the building tension that lead up to the actual reveal. I like how both Sonic's toe tapping and the reveal of Tails and Knuckles matched the little beat in the music. I like how the music slowed down and how the trailer ends with an impressive shot of the title screen.

Just a phenomenal trailer.

Ah, actually I am, just grabbed my copy and it comes from IndieBox, not Limited Run games. lol I don't even know who I am ordering from these days.

Shot of the Axiom Verge physical release:

[​IMG]

19. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    You mean 14 years ago. Don't forget that Taxman started that long ago on the Ye Old Retro Sonic Deluxe 2002, anyone remember that? :)

20. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Man I want to play this so badly right now. This has eclipsed my hype for any Sonic game since Sonic & Knuckles by far. I thought I was hyped for Generations, my hype for generations is nothing compared to this. I never knew I could want something so badly.