don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Retroman

Retroman

YESSSSSS! :D

2. nesboy43

nesboy43

Ok figured I would post some impressions from playing this today. The game looks incredibly smooth. It doesn't look like an older game. The smoothness and quality of the sprites are insanely good and incredibly detailed. In person it just looks great, like a moving cartoon almost. It's like a modernized version of the old games art style, not them just trying to mimic the original look.

The controls and physics felt really close to the classics for me. I am very nitpicky when it comes to this kind of stuff and for me, after being so excited seeing the trailer, it was what I was worried the most about. I thought that there was no way Sega would make a classic styled Sonic game AND have the physics/controls work right. I am so happy I was wrong. If I had to pick a game it felt closest to I would say Sonic 2. It seemed very spot on, I can't complain here.

The level design is pretty good but I wouldn't say it was as great as Sonic 3 & K, more like if Sonic CD had more focused level design. Also the zone I played (Neon City looking zone) didn't seem to be as long as Sonic 3's levels.

Anyways, things can change, but figured I'd post my impressions. I still can't believe this game is not only announced, but that I got a chance to play it.

3. I'm very excited about this game. I would definitely buy it.

4. Pokepunch

Pokepunch

UK
    A Sonic 2 Hack
    I'm so glad SEGA didn't limit this to strictly 16-bit like Capcom did with Megaman 9/10 and 8-bit. The art looks amazing and gives off some serious Sonic CD and Chaotix vibes. Not to sure I like the look of the landing spin thing, just seems like free speed when you land from a jump. This is truly the Sonic 4 we imagined.

5. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    I had a conversation with my husband a long while ago about the 25th anniversary and its inevitable game. I thought about what should be done, and what was actually likely to be done. What is likely to be done, I said, is Generations 2. What -should- be done, however, is a brand new 2D game with Mega CD style graphics and authentic classic physics, preferably by Taxman and Stealth, that'd basically be Sonic 4 as I truly imagined it. "But it'll never happen, so whatever".

WELP.

Holy shit this is literally everything I ever wanted, and then some. It was well worth staying up until 3am to see it releaved in the stream - the fact that it was the early hours of the morning was the only thing that stopped me from screaming like a maniac at the trailer. It's one of the very, very few occasions where a game trailer has actually brought me to tears.

Many congratulations to everyone involved with the creation of this amazing game!! I absolutely can't wait to finally get my hands on the game that I've been waiting for since 1994 ;_;

6. Nova

Nova

I woke up to this

I still can't believe it

7. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Jeez I can't stop watching the animation of the title screen. It's so smooth. They were smart to end the trailer with that, it's the most visually impressive thing they showed in the entire trailer. Incredible pixel art.

8. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero

Sonic 1 Character Pak
    So for those who played it... how does the drop dash work? I want to know the details.

9. Drop dash works by pressing the jump button twice and holding it the second time. As soon as Sonic lands, he's in a spin dash. Excellent for speedruns and time trials.

Note though, it does not work when Sonic has elemental shields. These all override the drop dash.

10. Felik

Felik

So no instashield?
    What a bummer.
    I'd prefer if they kept it and assignes drop dash to "dowm + jump"

11. RibShark

RibShark

Wow. Just wow. Last night before I went to sleep I was really hoping for something exactly like this. Never did I expect that it would actually happen! Only thing I am slightly worried about is a possible over-abundance of zones we have already seen, as the PlayStation Blog seems to indicate that they are a big part of the games. Don't get me wrong, I do like those stages, but I am hoping for more concepts like Studiopolis that we haven't seen before.

12. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Looking online the reaction to this game is universal praise. Everyone seems blown the hell away. Last time I remember Sonic games being talked about like this was Sonic & Knuckles.

13. Bloody ell

THEY DID IT!!!

Echo what Jen said and in my hungover state it actually makes me quite emotional too - at @1.23 when Sonic drops in to that 'woo' literally sends shivers down my spine!! Fuck yes!!!

I'm actually a bit lost for words.

EDIT: Christian Whitehead is the Australian Noel Fielding!! And as much of a legend now. Congrats to You and Stealth for landing this gig! Awesome opportunity to get Headcannon some amazing exposure too. Bet you are both chuffed - I know I am.

14. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

I even love the name of the game. Sonic Mania sounds Sega Sonic as hell.

15. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I remember reading a few years ago back on the Sega Forums, in the wake of the aftermath of Sonic 4, where someone (Copley Hill Zone) said that the only way to make a classic Sonic sequel would be to make it yourself and hope that it goes official, with Taxman's Sonic CD re-release referred to as the example.

The stars have aligned.
    The prophecy has been foretold.

That said, I have a few nitpicks--the sprite-based look (though the 32-bit visuals are a plus) aand a lack of a Nintendo console release (though I assume this may change in the future). And if Genesis Sonic and its essence isn't going to be a one-off, I think it needs a retail project (though with classic Sonic showing up in the Sonic 2017 teaser, the jury's still out on how that project goes).

But barring those personal complaints, this game is practically everything I have wanted out of a Sonic game in years.

To whomever is working on Sonic Mania and helped get this game off the ground -- Christian Whitehead/The Taxman, Simon Thomley/Cannonhead/Stealth, PadeagonWest Games, Tee Lopes (the music I've heard is absolutely on point), anyone else within Sega.

You have my absolute gratitude.

16. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Late, but dropping in to echo the sentiments around here.

Holy shit, hard to process, super excited, and all that.

Congrats to Stealth, Taxman, et al. Everything about this, to the last little detail, looks to be done exactly right. I'm 7 years old again.

17. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I'm happy, but not really excited. Seems like stylistically and gameplay-wise it's closer to Sonic CD, which isn't my favorite.

I'm still buying though.

18. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I don't pay attention to Sonic news as I expect the new games to be for the modern crowd and not for us retro fans. So this game came a complete shock to me when I saw the trailer just exploding in my Youtube feed.

Wow, just WOW.

The Chaotix shading has never been a thing I'm into but giving me a 9 out of 10 for a Sonic game I've always wanted is good enough, something the official modern Sonic Team has never come close to.

19. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    This is definately a great thing. So since this is releasing next year on PS4, does that mean they have to have 4k resolution too?

20. Yuzoboy

Yuzoboy

UK
    This is the game a lot of Sonic fans have been waiting for. I LOVE the music to Studiopolis Zone!

Big thanks to Stealth and Taxman for their efforts in this game.