don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Amazing - will definitely be getting this on PC! = D Major congratulations to Taxman for finally realising his dream of working on an official, brand-new, classic-styled 2D Sonic game after all these years! The dream's come true, haha. = )

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That's why I loved it, because it felt more like the real thing than other fan attempts.

...And now this new game looks more like the real thing than SEGA's attempts. =P

3. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Mettrix came out before I had even begun learning SDL. I remember being dumbfounded at how someone could make a program like that from scratch. I thought it looked exactly like the Genesis games lol.

4. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie

I used a more advance version of the Klik engine known as the Games Factory for several years, which later evolved into Click and Create, which later further evolved into MultiMedia Fusion. One project I remember from way back when was an 'extremely crude' Klik recreation of Dust Hill using nothing but badly shopped assets from the screenshot.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Dust_Hill_Zone_(fan_game)

Most notably, that one.

Oh, how far we've come.

5. CaveQuest

CaveQuest

Puyo Puyo Sun is the best game ever made! Member
    Mean Bean Tsu Machine
    I am extreamly hyped. I will get this game on day 1. (Probably ps4 or Pc.) I just like the fact that the sprite work is the best I have seen for a while.
    Also I heard the game was gonna be accurate to the Genesis games. Which is nice.

6. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

I was messing around with QBasic and Visual Basic at the time. I remember I started learning SDL some time after Mettrix released, partially because I wanted to learn how to make graphics in DOS like Mettrix had. I started learning SDL in mid 98 off the recommendation of a friend at a PC Users club I went to. He was producing an Ultima IV engine with it.

7. Finally got WiFi so here's the footage:
    https://youtu.be/C8d4Dep2hvQ
    https://youtu.be/_bkLRHsdZp8

8. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Whoa, the layout becomes drastically different. This is awesome!

9. We'll have a write up on the front page soon, but just sayin', the trailer did not do the gameplay/layout/music/graphics justice.

10. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

From what I've seen the pixel art is phenomenal. Everything looks extremely smooth.

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    By the way guys, don't forget to "like" the official trailer that's on the first page of this topic.

That should send some feedback their way, while we still can't buy it.

12. Liraxus

Liraxus

Some shmuck Member
    Idiotville
    Nothing, really.
    Probably gonna be that guy who's kind of tired of the millions of "Hey guys here's my interpretation of Sonic 4!" sort of ordeal, not saying those games are bad, but it gets tiring to see the next "1-up" a fangame does to try and be the definitive Sonic 4, probably why I gravitated so closely to the projects LakeFepard made, they were in his own style, and they looked like a real fangame that tried a different art approach, Cyan City and Lost Level Zones were just unforgettable because of it.

Here, this is a Sonic fangame that seems to want to do its own thing, I adore pretty much everything about Studiopolis, the stylized look, the integration of stage gimmicks into the actual levels instead of "Hey guys, this level does THIS!", and the overall presentation. More games need to be inspired like this, and I am incredibly hyped to see where the game goes.

13. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    I'm SO happy that Taxman and Stealth new game! Sonic Mania is what we fans of the Mega Drive era wanted for SO LONG! I don't know how many times I kept on replaying that trailer video. when I saw the trailer from the live stream, I saw Taxman and Stealth's logo and I KNEW SOMETHING BIG WAS ABOUT TO HAPPEN! OH MY GOD! The graphics are BEAUTIFUL! Green Hill zone look better than EVER! I kept pausing to look at the background and everything else and they really did justice on Sonic. The title animation look so smooth, the background of it is just all aw to me. Apparently Taxman has a thing about the Sonic CD title scrolling clouds. This game look like something that came out BEYOND the 32X, I'm talking about Sega Saturn or Dreamcast! I cannot wait to play this game when it hit the PC stores. Again...I CANNOT GET ENOUGH OF THE GRAPHICS! I JUST LOVE IT ALL.

It would've been two times better if my brother was alive to see this... :(/> He would've jump for joy to play that game as Knuckles.

14. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

I think everyone pretty much agrees that the development team is the next best option to actually having the classic Sonic Team reform to work on the Genesis. I don't think anyone else in the world can do a Sonic game better than Tax and Stealth.

15. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    I believe that both Taxman and Stealth are saving SEGA and Sonic.

16. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    I don't think this has been posted yet:

[​IMG]

17. Was the popcorn machine pointed out? Can't check right now but go back to any of the footage and I'm sure you'll notice it.

18. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    This is immense! Congratulations on the project taxman & stealth.

19. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Yeah, it got pointed out. Did you notice this:

20. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I also noticed Club Sega and Streets of Rage-like signs.

Well played.