don't click here

Sonic Overture Thread [Sunrise Gate Zone Demo Available]

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Jassbec, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Sir Spacebar

Sir Spacebar

14 year old trash with no cash. Member
    Singapore, Singapore
    Original EP
    Holy shit you guys really went all out with this update. Amazing work, the Teal software really does sound better than all the other ones you've been using so far (and the audio capabilities interest me to no end lol) I can't wait to see the result of your hard work.

2. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Digging the quality of the pixel art. Can't wait to see the new demo... whenever the hell SAGE is. :v:

3. winterhell

winterhell

Finally somebody did the right thing. Congrats.

4. Felik

Felik

Not to play the devil's advocate because custom engine is undeniably superior to any existing game making framework I still want to say this:
    You suck at MMF2 =/= MMF2 is crap.
    Still I'm looking forward to what you guys have in store for us.
    I really hope that you will have some 3D features in your game and/or port it to portable platforms (android port pretty please!!!) otherwise the switch to C# would not be as beneficial as it could be.

Anyway I wish you best of luck!

P.S. Anyone knows when's SAGE?

5. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    Oh god. I'm incredibly excited to see what you folks have in store! Overture developement is looking better than ever, and I wish you the best of luck!
    On a side note, will Teal and/or TealSonic be released?

6. InstantSonic

InstantSonic

Just add water! Oldbie
    Wow. There is a ton of potential here that I can not wait to play. Good job.

7. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    I tried to warn you! Construct Classic is a glitchy, unsupported mess!
    Well, at least it resulted in Teal, which looks like it'll be a super excellent option for game development. I'm excited to see that come together!

8. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    I'm like WHOA! The whole thing fell apart but you guys went back up again bigger than EVER! I'm very please that our dear lady Pix doing a great job fixing you guy's sprites. I see a few new thing in Sunrise Gate zone which I'm really happy to see in there. The new image of Granite Zone pleases me very much. I knew that waiting patiently would bring good news.

9. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    I'm not sure if anyone remember these but I've kept them in my giant archives stash of fan work stuff (don't as me on that, lol), and they're old.

[​IMG]

Sometimes I like to preserved history.

Ps. They were not made by me! Don't get confuse on that.

10. Ay Jay

Ay Jay

Sonic Neo Adventure
    Goddamn. I'm speechless, I can't describe how impressed and excited I am for this. I'm still dumbfounded at your decision to use a Custom Engine, that must've taken a while to make. And I'm also very exited to know how well the Teal Engine works. Anywho, best of luck to y'all, you're doing a great job.

11. TruePowerofTeamwork

TruePowerofTeamwork

Ontario, Canada
    Sonic Overture, Teal Game Engine, TealSonic
    Thanks, I find C# to be a really good option, it's very fast, efficient, and a lot easier to use than C++.
    And OpenGL means way more platform options.

Yes, it will support a lot of platforms, and we will be adding DirectX support, so it will support a lot more.
    Here's a list of confirmed platforms:
    Linux
    Mac OS X, iOS, tvOS, watchOS
    Sun Solaris
    BSD - OpenBSD, FreeBSD, NetBSD
    Microsoft Windows
    Nintendo Wii
    Sony PlayStation 3
    Sony PlayStation 4
    Android
    UWP/Windows Phone/Windows 10
    There will be more in the future, and there's a few other platforms that are planned, but I can't confirm yet.
    Edit: This is a list of platforms Teal supports, Overture won't necessarily support all of these, but will definitely support Android, iOS, Linux, Mac OSX, and Windows.
    Yes, both will be released.
    Teal will cost money, but a lot less than all the other engines, and offers a lot more. Can't confirm a price yet.

12. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Might I suggest not trying to spread your resources too thin with a ridiculous number of target platforms? Consider the top three PC platforms first: Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. I'm not sure why you even have UWP listed, since UWP is terrible, and there's no point in releasing a special "Windows 10" version if you have a regular Windows version. (Never mind that no one uses Windows Phone anyway.)

...and why Solaris of all things?

EDIT, since you edited your post:
    Assuming "Teal" is your own engine, you're still targetting way too many platforms. Are you actually testing it on all of these systems? (And again, why Solaris?)

13. TruePowerofTeamwork

TruePowerofTeamwork

Ontario, Canada
    I didn't choose them, those are Mono and C#'s supported platforms.
    Mono is a C# compiler.
    So it really requires barely any extra work to get them working on these platforms.
    By Windows 10 I just meant the UWP version of the Windows compiler, which only works in W10.
    I hate UWP as much as everyone else does, but if it doesn't require any extra work to support it, might as well.

14. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    C# is about the same as Java with regards to "write once, run everywhere". That is, don't claim support for one of the platforms supported by the Mono runtime unless you actually test your program on it to make sure there aren't any platform-specific bugs.

There's lots of platform-specific stuff that C# won't handle for you. Among other things, joystick input. (SDL would work here, but I don't know if there are C# bindings for SDL.)

15. winterhell

winterhell

PS3, PS4 and Wii are hard/nigh impossible to work with C#

On the other hand, PS Vita supports C# + OpenGL ES 2.0.
    If you are doing DirectX stuff (HLSL) then you can use XNA for Xbox 360 games.

I know Solaris and FreeBSD are theoretically possible with OpenTK but I havent tested them out yet.
    It runs fine on Windows 98 though :v:/>

16. TruePowerofTeamwork

TruePowerofTeamwork

Ontario, Canada
    Yes C# itself won't hande it, but OpenTK with Mono supports all of that, for any of the platforms that supports OpenGL.
    I believe Xamarin also has supports for some of that too, which Xamarin is used for some of those platforms.
    The DirectX implementation also supports everything for all the DirectX platforms.

17. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    That's amazing TPOT (YOU'RE AMAZING), look at that list! But you and everyone else will focus on the PC version, correct?

18. TruePowerofTeamwork

TruePowerofTeamwork

Ontario, Canada
    We will be testing everything we can.
    I can set up a bunch of Virtual machines to test Linux, BSD, Solaris and such.
    I forgot about Vita support, I have a Vita so I'll look into that.
    We don't really want to use XNA, not sure how compatible it'll be, but if we do, it'd make more sense to use MonoGame, which would give us even more platforms.

Thanks!
    Yes PC is our main focus. Other exports are added later, probably after we add DirectX support.

19. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Damn, if you can actually get an Android version of this out, I'll be really happy. It'd be heavenly to play this untethered from a laptop.

But anyway, to everyone involved, thanks so much for all of your hard work. Must've been hard to keep quiet about this engine, seems like it's pretty exciting stuff. Can't wait for that new demo.

20. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    Oh, that's great! Thanks for answering.