don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Saw this on NeoGAF. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=202147965&postcount=300

Fingers crossed...?

EDIT: A later reply in that thread says it could be a "dummy app" for the current sale, is that a thing? I don't quite know how Steam operates with these kinds of things. I guess if that is what's going on, trash this post and call me a dummy. :psyduck:

2. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Hurrah, I'd so buy them if they put them on there. 1 and 2. Here's hoping it's not a port of Sonic 2006.

3. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    I could go for an 06 port...
    It's totally rad.

4. Because they'd totally make such an idiotic decision like that :v:

+ - Not as if they haven't done dumb things before but I'm damn tired of hearing people thinking that SEGA would do that.  

5. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    A dummy app? Based on my (admittedly limited) understanding of how Steam works, that seems wrong. This app isn't for sale, nor are any packages it's associated with. That's not to say it's not a dummy; it might well be, and there are plenty of dummy. But if it is, it has nothing to do with the sale.

Someone with more Steam experience (Strife, maybe?) please correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I can tell this is not a sale-related dummy at all.

6. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Honestly, with how open Sega's marketing department has been towards self-depreciation lately, I wouldn't be shocked if it was for '06. Marketing it as the "Worst Sonic Game of All TimeTM" could definitely drum up sales, because you know wannabe youtube lets-players would absolutely buy that up in some attempt to be Game Grumps.

I would prefer it to be Taxman's remake, of course. Here's hoping.

7. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    I suppose it's plausible that dummy apps can be created to share information with other apps in a publisher's library. When FP was in development, Valve created a "Freedom Planet Test Enabler" app for us for beta testing. I forgot what it did specifically but I think it had to do with distributing Steam keys to backers before the game itself had a proper app with Steam support.

8. MartiusR

MartiusR

Have hope that it'll happen, c'mon Sega, I want some treats on this anniversary for PCs too (not another WiiU/3DS exclusive).

That would be extremely funny though if it would be for port of Sonic from 2006. It wouldn't have too much sense, but hey, I like when stuff happens, who cares if it's good or bad, at least something is happening! But...

...sadly, I'm guessing that it's only some technical thing. These "decoy-entries" on steamdb are something quite often, to be honest (there was even (quite recently) some rumor about Sonic Boom coming on PC, but it was only entry for some addition to some application for sound processing. But someone saw phrase "Sonic Boom" and went crazy). Yeah.

But I really want to be wrong in this case! (and have some nice stuff for this year's anniversary!)

9. I think it's Knuckles in Sonic 1 by Stealth http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=674562259&searchtext=

See his tweet https://twitter.com/HCStealth/status/725734394527272960

10. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    You guys are over thinking this. It's just a placeholder for a Sonic title, they can change the name to whatever it ends up being.

It could be Sonic Dash for all you know. While I too would love to see a non-mobile port of Sonic 1 Remastered, there isn't an entry for 2 and I'd honestly expect them to create both entries at the same time.

11. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Knuckles in Sonic 1 is an mod. Not gonna be registered as a game.

12. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
    If you click on Steam Store or Steam Hub from the Steam DB page, Steam redirects you to the Sega Classics emulated Sonic 1. Given that and the timing, this seems very likely to relate to the Classics sale/upgrade somehow, so I wouldn't get too excited.

A lot of actual unreleased games use fake names to avoid this kind of guesswork anyway, e.g. the wonderful "Shetland Pony" and even better "Shetland Pony for Beta Testing", which turned out to be GTAV. Perhaps that would be unnecessary in this case, as we've already established that you can title something "Sonic the Hedgehog" and still have no idea what it's going to be.

13. Zycor

Zycor

Unlike Sonic, I don't chuckle. Member
    Beats me.
    Guys, it's obviously the 25th anniversary game :specialed:/>

That's my guess, but who knows.

Knowing SEGA, it could be anything.

14. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    I kinda hate to bump this topic, but I was going to buy Sonic CD today, since I have a new phone with 8GBs of internal memory, but it's nowhere to be found on Google Play. All I get is this when I Google it:

[​IMG]

Is Sonic CD currently down for an update? It's still on the Amazon store, and I could probably buy it there as well. (Unless it requires the Amazon app?)

15. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Oof, may have been better to bump the CD troubleshooting topic, any time I see this main S1/S2 topic get bumped I get all excited for news about them haha.

I can't remember the exact issue, but if I recall correctly, CD is down for some kind of issue, yes. I feel like Gene has posted about it either here or on SSMB, so I'll go look around for an exact quote.

EDIT: Here we go.
    https://board.sonicstadium.org/topic/10290-sonic-cd-for-xblapsnsteammobile-phones/?do=findComment&comment=1023525

It's been quite some time, though. Must be a bit of an intensive fix.

16. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Sorry about that! I forgot about the troubleshooting topic.

And that sucks, although I can wait until it's fixed. This mostly caught me off-guard because it's literally the only Sonic game that's disappeared off the Play Store. SEGA will get my money first thing when it's back up. Thanks for the clarification!

17. Would be cool if they slipped Knuckles in there too ;)

18. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    So awhile back I bought Sonic 1 on my Moms iPad device. Recently she gave me her old iPhone 4, and it was still logged in to her Apple account, so I downloaded Sonic 1 onto the iPhone 4. A few days later I decided to reset the iPhone so I could quickly clean out my Moms junk apps. When I tried to buy and re-download Sonic 1 on my phone, it now tells me I need at least iOS 8 or later... even though I had just downloaded and played the game earlier that week.

I'm not familiar at all with Apple devices, and this is my first iPhone, so any help would be appreciated.

19. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    IIRC, iPhone 4 only supports up to iOS7 so clearing out the apps means that the latest version of the game can't be downloaded. It is however, possible to download older versions of iOS Apps - search "download earlier version app store" and you should find a guide to help you re-download a version of Sonic 1 that works on the iPhone 4.

20. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Don't know if anybody here save for a small few keep up with the comics, but Sonic Universe's recent issue made a Taxstealth reference in how Team Dark with Knuckles and Amy got to Hidden palace Zone:
    [​IMG]

Btw, + - Rouge fell in love with the fake master emerald   . :v: