don't click here

Sonic Classic Heroes

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by flamewing, Nov 2, 2010.

1. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    I remember seeing that sheet. In fact, I even remember saving it on my computer.

[flamewing hunts image down]

AH, there it is, indeed. Hm, I did not remember it having the animals at all. And as it turns out, I was watching you already on DeviantArt, so I probably saw it there. Which is annoying, as I spent a good chunk of time today looking for such poses of animals (maybe due to half-remembering it on your sheet) to no avail.

Edit: Looking over, it is likely that the differently colored springs were also due to half-remembering it on your sheet (although Chaotix does have green springs too).

If you don't mind, I might steal some things for SCH if I can get them to look good enough.

2. Sure go ahead, as the purpose of the sheet is being free resources for the likes of ROM hacks and fan-games.
    The sheet you have archived must've been the older version from when MFZ was active.

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It would be a fun anticlimax if by releasing a capsule at the end of act 2, you get a bunch of fish... which can't hop away because they're fish.

4. flamewing

flamewing

France
    The colors are different, thats for sure, but that is the only difference I can see. The colors are more saturated on the sheet I have than in the version you just posted. And the difference is now bigger because I ran it through my color-correcting script that allows only MD colors.

This would have been worse than you think: in stock S1 and S2, the end-of-act results only show up once all animals freed from the capsule leave the screen. So if even one fish were to be released at the end, you would know you needed to reset the game :v:/>

(I actually changed SCH to show the results while the animals are leaving)

5. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    If it means anything, Sonic 3 & Knuckles has animals move away without a forward-facing sprite with capsules. That's how this became a thing.

6. flamewing

flamewing

France
    Note that the animal is facing forward when the badnik is destroyed; forward facing animal sprites are needed even if the capsule does not use it.

7. Brainulator

Brainulator

I know, I was just saying for the capsules. (Unless you want to scrap the forward-facing sprites and have the animals run off ASAP.)

8. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    What's your point?? We have forward facing sprites for the animals. Why scrap them? Please stop bringing up nonsense just for the sake of it. You've added nothing too the discussion for pages now.

9. [​IMG]

Played around with the second line palette for AIZ and HCZ badniks. didn't continue since I'm unsure which badniks use Line 2 and which use Lines 3 or 4.

EDIT: Left some colors on that didn't match the palette, updated accordingly.

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    This is backseat modding but I'm going to allow this one because he happens to be right. =P

11. Brainulator

Brainulator

I was actually mentioning scrapping them as a possibility, but let's face it, it's better to just do the work than take the cheap route.

12. ...then why bother suggesting it in the first place?

13. Brainulator

Brainulator

...to bring up the possibility?

+ - Let's wait a couple of days so that school gets out and I can make you all an instruction manual.  

14. MotorRoach

MotorRoach

A possibility with zero benefits.

Stop, just stop.

15. flamewing

flamewing

France
    To be fair, there is one single benefit: it would free up the VRAM of the frontal poses; this would allow a third animal to be added to each zone without several VRAM management shenanigans I have been thinking of.

Other than this single benefit, there is a sea of drawbacks, so I will take my shenanigans.

16. flamewing

flamewing

France
    So, I was looking on SCD data to get the "proper" palette for its animals... here is the resulting image:
    [​IMG]

The other set of graphics is used for the holographic projector, is it not? I never paid too much attention to it until now...

17. Brainulator

Brainulator

Yeah, it seems that animals in Sonic CD are either stomped on, hopping around, or flying around Metal Sonic's image. Of course, only Ricky, Pocky, and Pecky get stepped on.

In case you need a reference.

18. flamewing

flamewing

France
    Since we are talking about graphics: one thing I wanted to do for some time is a graphical overhaul, particularly of the Sonic 1 side. Not only does Sonic 2 generally have better looking backgrounds, but many of the Sonic 1 badniks look cute rather than mencing (take Motobug, Buzz Bomber, Crabmeat, Caterkiller, Burrobot, Jaws and Ball Hog as examples).

Long term, I would like to improve the Sonic 2 graphics too, maybe to S3&K-like levels; but for now, I would be happy with Sonic 2-level graphics for Sonic 1. Anyone around who would like to contribute to such a project? These graphics would also make it into BFD, and I would be open to making these graphics available to anyone who wants to use them, if the artists are OK with it.

19. Brainulator

Brainulator

I personally think the current Badniks are fine, the main reason being that they convey Robotnik/Eggman's silly-yet-serious nature. It's the very reason I like the Sonic 2/3 boss themes over Sonic 1's (and in Sonic CD's case, JP over US). That said, the Sonic 2 Badniks aren't much more menacing than Sonic 1's. Oh well, who am I to argue with editing 25-year-old graphics... wait, is that today? :specialed:

I'm personally interested: how much VRAM would it save to get rid of jumping/rolling sprites that don't look like smooth circles?

20. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    None. DPLCs mean only one frame of the character's art is loaded to VRAM at once.