don't click here

Sonic Classic Heroes

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by flamewing, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    Muting some audio channels for a half-second is better than muting all other audio for 3 seconds. It wouldn't be worse than this.

2. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    Having no DAC loss is better than half a second of DAC loss, what's your point?

3. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    "Better" may be a matter of opinion, one would argue that no DAC quality loss, is better than no DAC loss at all.

Audio quality would need to be sacrificed for a mixer, either the sample would need to be reduced to 7-bit, or you'd need to cap on overflow, either way, there is a loss of quality there. An additional loss of quality would be caused by cost of processing time necessary to load two samples for mixing, before flushing, and regardless of how well you do it, it will never compare to a single playback driver of equal clever software. I'm not trying to defend non-sample here, I just making sure that both the pros and cons are mentioned here, rather than it being a one sided argument.

On the contrary to the above however, I would recommend towards the idea of sample mixing. As long as it sounds the way its meant to within reason, and as long as you have the power, and the resources, then why not? There is the argument that it is merely for a half second, but whose to say it cannot be used further than that when more ideas tip in? You could have the characters say a few quotes at the start or end of a level for instance, and put further use to the mixer then. There are a few chaotix tracks that could be ported over, and having a second channel for drums would make the process a little easier, it would be a unique and enjoyable addition if you should choose to port chaotix levels for example.

4. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    To be fair, I doubt I will be able to get sample mixing: in order to playback the "yes!" sample at any acceptable quality level, I will need to add DAC sample buffering to z80 RAM (something similar to your own Jester Stream) to prevent the PCM quality from being butchered by DMAs in V-Int (SMPS processing costs are liable to also cause issues here). This would eat a chunk of z80 RAM, and I doubt I could free enough z80 RAM to buffer two samples, let alone enough cycles in the PCM loop to mix them together and buffer them to z80 RAM.

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I personally wouldn't bother because those Sonic CD samples are a bit naff, however if you're desperate to go down that route...

...shouldn't you be taking samples from Sonic Heroes

LOOK AT ALL THOSE EGGMAN'S ROBOTS

6. Brainulator

Brainulator

Never mind that the Sega CD has far better sound than the Genesis and therefore the "yes!" sound effect would sound better there. That's why I recommended the continue sound effect: it's already made, it would be unused, and would fit with this. I mean, sure, it's a fan animation, but fellow Sonic Paradox animator Cacti made Sonic's arms blue (on accident, before correcting that) before Sonic Boom made it official. He even beat us all to making the S2 super theme that of Hyper Sonic! XD

That Flash animation also made me realize that you switched to the generic 1-Up icon not only to save space but to also avoid making Eggman hit Eggman monitors and therefore get hurt.

7. ...wat

8. flamewing

flamewing

France
    The actual issue in getting the "yes!" PCM to sound good in the Genesis is because of the PCM loop being constantly interrupted to read joypads, DMAs and because of bus contention with the 68k when accessing ROM or 68k RAM; while the SCD has better hardware, its main advantage is not being subject to these. And all of these can be mitigated by software buffering on the z80 side (see Sonic 1: The Next Level).

And no, I did not switch to the generic 1-up animation for any of those reasons (least of all your imagined one rearding Eggman monitors -- as I said before, Eggman is NOT GOING TO BE PLAYABLE, and the same is true of Eggrobo). I switched to a generic 1-up icon to simplify the code, reduce the number of DMAs when swapping characters, and to have a single unique life icon, instead of a different one for every character.

Please stop making shit up.

Edit: PS: I was using the S2 super theme for super/hyper back in 2010. So you are wrong about that too.

9. Brainulator

Brainulator

Well, I was joking about Eggman (that said, it never occurred to me that you were just merging Eggman and player palettes, which I already did). I knew it was to save space.

10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG] -> [​IMG]
    edited sprites this time - I think 80% of these look okay. Haven't checked to see if it gels with Sonic 1 yet.

You could do more but it's half past ten and I've got work in the morning.

11. Mors

Mors

Fangame Creator Member
    Turkey
    Super Mario Flashback
    Most of them look neat, but I think pink, orange and green palettes could get some work. Oh and you're recoloring them to fit Sonic 3 & Knux style, right?

12. flamewing

flamewing

France
    Nice work. I have been experimenting with a lighter dark yellow (the stock darkest ring color) and it looks better in general; I will try it in your versions later.

Rexxon is a non-issue, by the way: he uses neither line 0 nor line 1.

13. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    While we're making an all encompassing palette, I was just wondering...

[​IMG]

No, I do not have a standing sprite at the moment, it was like Sonic R/Rivals/*insert game that Metal Sonic always hovers here*

Also, where'd you get that Chaotix style Metal Knuckles?

14. flamewing

flamewing

France
    That is a very interesting sprite. Any plans for it?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lone_Devil did him.

15. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Should be in S Factor already, but I reckon it only gets called on like once. I was working on a complete playable sheet of her before the crash. I didn't lose too much of what I had of her though, so I can pick that one up after the others.

16. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    By the way, I have a question. I don't remember if it was discussed already, and may be just the fever talking for me, but... have you considered a somewhat chaotix behaivour, when a teammate's hit cost you some rings? Not 1 like the mentioned chaotix because that's just ridiculous, but, for example (and now that Selbi explained to me how it works) you could make a couple of bitshits to lose 1/8 of your rings when a teammate is injured, or 1/16 since there are 2 of them.

17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]

18. Brainulator

Brainulator

Wow, these forums need a like-dislike button for posts.

Didn't flamewing say that Rexxon/Rexon (flamewing says Rexxon, Sonic 2 manual says Rexon) is a non-issue? I also like how you included Burrobot's unused diving sprite... is that used here? + - RexxonMobil  

19. flamewing

flamewing

France
    Considering what I hear in IRC, you most definitely would not like that...

Edit: Black Squirel: by the way, you are still using invalid colors; the valid values in each channel are $00, $22, $44, $66, $88, $AA, $CC and $EE.

20. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    that's because I was guessing the palette :eng101:
    [​IMG]