don't click here

Sonic Classic Heroes

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by flamewing, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That is all fine. Trust me, this is your brain child I have no intent of whining that Sonic 2 Sonic is not in the game. I'm glad that there's a plan though. God speed good sir.

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I don't have the patience to edit every sprite but here's what I cooked up in ten minutes or so:

[​IMG]
    (original)
    (mine)
    (yours)

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Wow, except for a few changes that don't really look bad, it seems that you guys have made a palette that fits all!

I still think having a "ROM builder" of sorts would help wonders with this project, allowing from a basic build with Team Sonic to as many of those characters until the ROM size is reached. That way, any character expansions could be released whenever they're ready while the base code keeps getting updated separately.

Also (and this is some wishful thinking), depending on how it's done, perhaps other people could also build and upload their own teams themselves or something.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think if that could be figured out that would be great. It'd not only lighten flamewing's plate, but it would also allow for mods with additional characters. It all depends on how flamewing feels about that idea though. I mean a mod of a mod is kinda tricky territory, but this game is a mod of a mod already sooo idk. But this game would be the perfect base for a "character in Sonic 1/2" mod.

Also, again, I'm not trying to force you to do anything. Just spit balling ideas here.

Speaking of which, any plans on adapting the Sonic 1/2 iOS layouts into the hack?

5. I love how this thread has basically evolved into the basic format of someone introducing some cool concept, a bunch of people saying "that'll never work" followed ten pages later by "I can't believe that fucking worked". The second palette line is turning out extremely well, if I ever have the time (not likely as I'm swamped atm) I'd love to mess around with it and see what else could fit on it.

6. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    I'd definitely like to see a custom ROM builder. I guess you could just limit it to one team of three selected characters (or make your own characters), but let's face it, that would be a lot of IPS patches. In addition, online emulators could suffer from only having the default Team Sonic, plus all sorts of characters would float among the Internet, and let's not even face that either you'd have to insert the patches manually (which cannot be automatically done) or use a website like what Tiddles has for Sonic 3 Complete. In fact, if my calculations are correct, there are a total of 113,246,208 possible S3C ROMs. What fun! :specialed:

7. Ralbalboa

Ralbalboa

?

8. Echoing this sentiment.

9. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    I like he idea, but you used a few shades that aren't valid MD colors. Fixing the shades and merging in, it looks like this:

[​IMG]
    (direct link)

10. Eggpod is the only one that really suffers from the palette. Perhaps the S3K or S1 would work better?

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Fortunately, there's an easy fix for it!

[​IMG]

12. Brainulator

Brainulator

Now that continues are gone, perhaps could the continue sound effect be the new 1-up sound? It would be a lot less distracting and better overall than interrupting all other sound.

13. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    I am thinking of using the SCD 1-up (the "yes!"), if I can get it to sound good.

14. Heh, that's exactly the 1up sound I would've suggested. Love that one.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    If we're on that subject maybe the modern 1up theme could be used?

16. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    Isn't that just the Chaos Emerald jingle, but faster and more condensed?

17. Brainulator

Brainulator

The Chaos Emerald jingle is in use, so I guess the "yes!" sound could work. That, or the "roboticizer destroyed" sound effect like what Tails has in Sonic CD 2011.

Then again, that sound effect will make no sense with non-Sonic teams.

18. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    Not to mention, the SCD 'yes' would interrupt the other DACs, muting the music's drums. At least, unless a mixer was added to the sound driver, anyway.

19. ELS

ELS

It's amazing how much you can stuff onto a Genesis.

20. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Now don't get me wrong, I think that a sample mixer would be the best thing that a genesis game can have, but getting lives isn't something that happens too often in a stage and it's just... half second? I don't think it can do much damage to the game not having one. This isn't Earthworm Jim leaving you without drums for every thing you do, as all sounds are PSG and maybe a few FMs.