don't click here

Sonic Classic Heroes

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by flamewing, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    If we're going to have 2 sets of Knuckles and Amy sprites, perhaps Sonic could get Sonic 1/2/CD-style sprites too? :3 (I know I already asked this question, but come on, someone has to ask.)

Also, am I the only person who saw that Goofy's hat is orange instead of green? You could steal Vector's greens for his hat.

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    short on time
    [​IMG]
    I reckon you could also make the pig more pink... though it may need to be redrawn (mind you there's only what, three frames of animation?)

3. Brainulator

Brainulator

Steal Amy's pinks.

4. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    That Goofy is nowhere near final. He will have his proper colors.

Also, you don't have to respond to EVERYTHING anyone says. This thread is full of Gary the snail now.

Here's my attempt at fixing Lilac's colors. It would require an easy recoloring of the highlights in her hair though.
    [​IMG]

5. Brainulator

Brainulator

I don't... I just had something to say.

6. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    Honestly you'd be better off with a total redraw to fit the Genesis style. Her original sprite shrunken down kinda clashes with the style of the other characters.

[​IMG]

7. Tweedle

Tweedle

Hey uh, What is the point of all the character sprites again? Are these planned characters or something? Is that possible? :v:

8. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    Was that the pig and the turtle you edited?

Oh, I know; I am just testing the limits of this palette (and kind of lack the ability to do a proper redrawing myself).

That is a very nice-looking sprite, by the way.

9. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I gave the turtle a green shell because I could (and the rings now use a lighter shade of yellow) - pig was more of an experiment.

As an aside, this palette opens up the possibility of different coloured flickies - useful for an ending sequence?

10. flamewing

flamewing

France
    Ah, I missed the rings. I will keep my colors for the rings: I intended it to have a stronger, golden hue not unlike Chaotix (and BFD) does. The green turtle shell is interesting, but the underside of turtle shells are rarely green; they tend to be either gray or brown, even when the shell is green.

I have been doing that, yes:
    [​IMG]
    (direct link)

It may be possible to come up with additional flickies that look distinctively with the new palette, but I decided to stop at 8.

11. Someone should sprite the flickies from 3D Blast. Perhaps a game mode in the vein of Blast where you have to find all the animals before beating a map?

12. Brainulator

Brainulator

The blue and green springs have piqued my interest. :v:

Here's my (crappy) attempt at SCH-ifying Sonic/Super Sonic's 1/2/CD sprites:

[​IMG]
    (direct link)

Well, it looks crappy up close (particularly the Super Sonic sprite). I put the Sonic 3 & Knuckles-style Sonic/Super Sonic sprites for comparison; I stole their colors. The Sonic 2 sprites were copy-pasted from this website. I made this in case anyone wants to use this, given that Knuckles and Amy have two sprite sets.

@True Dude, a "beat all enemies" mode would sound fun, but protecting Flickies could be a chore in some levels (coughmetropoliscough), especially if they get hit if you don't.

13. flamewing

flamewing

France
    I thought not mentioning it would made you drop it; but I was clearly wrong. So let me be explicit: I have zero interest in S1-style Sonic in SCH. And you are assuming that Amy and Knuckles have (or will have) two sprite sets, which is not true.

For the record (again), I only have a single pose for most characters on that roster, and for the few that have sprite sheets, none of them are comprehensive enough for SCH. Many of them aren't comprehensive enough even for S1.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think he was referring to Classic CD Amy/Classic Modern Amy and S3 Knuckles/Chaotix Knuckles on the character dump sheet.

15. Brainulator

Brainulator

Correct.

Oh well, I preferred S3 Sonic anyway.

16. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Something confuses me: aren't those 2 palette lines exactly the same? If there are 2 lines dedicated to badnik and characters, couldn't they be managed to have, for example, some characters in line 1 and others in line 2, so more detailed sprites could be possible?

I may being explaining myself like hell, so in case you get confused, just take the first question :p

17. flamewing

flamewing

France
    There are two basic issues at hand:
    1. Super transformation: all objects that used the character palette line would also flash. In stock S1 and S2 (even S3&K for a few things), this includes some monitor contents, some objects and a few badniks.
    2. Some things use the same art but different palette lines for the different cases. For example, red and yellow springs.
    So I wanted to keep the second palette line basically the same but with tweaked color positions to emulate the red/yellow springs. On the other hand, there may be enough VRAM padding due to 2P mode that I may be able to simply have (say) the red and yellow spring art separate, and I will probably go that route (if at all possible) to avoid flashing for super.

And yes, I want to avoid using two different palette lines for characters as much as possible: not only because of super flashing, but also because some levels, like CNZ, already are a pain in the ass to work with (especially the boss).

18. flamewing

flamewing

France
    Update: partway through objects, all badniks done. I am now using a tweaked palette for line 2.

[​IMG]
    (direct link)

Things that are mostly gray suffer the worst, Emerald Hill badniks come next due to no real oranges.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So I'm curious. What exactly is your plan. Or your ideal team line up. Because you have a kind of bloated roster right now that doesn't seem very realistic to implement (Team Nintendo and Team Disney? Really?) I mean like I feel you could trash everything from Bunnie onwards, or if not that work with what exists. If Metal Knuckles, Tails Doll, Tikal, Jet, or whoever don't have complete sprite sets don't use them. Go for the mix and match team method and you'll get plenty of options (Also curious why do you have two Robotniks?).

Don't get me wrong, I love what you're doing. But because of that I'd really like to see this actually finished. I just hope you aren't biting off more than you can chew here.

*However I would really love to see Sonic 2 sprites as an option. I'm sorry but I just hate the Sonic 3 style. I know you're not interested, but if you see it in your heart to restore the Sonic 2 sprites as an option that'd be super. Can't stress it enough that I'm not trying to force you of course.*

20. flamewing

flamewing

France
    Right now, my plan is to horse-around with the palette and see what it can do. Beyond that: in the short term, add Team Super, Team Hyper, Team SegaSonic, Team Dark (Shadow, Rouge, Metal Sonic) and any other teams that get ready. Long term, implement mix and match, and start adding characters.

Drex is doing the individual characters of "Team Disney" for his own projects, and has expressed interest in completing the sheets for me (partly due to me asking him about it, I.e., me expressing interest in it). About "Team Nintendo", Lone Devil and I talked about it once on IRC and he made those poses. Not sure if he wants to go through with it or not.

E-122-Psi is doing Tikal (and she will be ready long before Big). Lone Devil is doing Metal Knuckles and Tails Doll. Shadow and Rouge have complete sheets, and Lone Devil sent me his Metal Sonic sheet. Modern Amy and Cream are ready (E-122-Psi sent them to me quite some time ago). I also have sheets for the two variants of Sonic at the start (but I need to check to see how complete they are). Blaze, Silver and Sonia will be Aquaslash's, whenever he has the time to do them.

That is not going to happen.

Let me rephrase that: that is never going to happen.