don't click here

SEGA Mega Drive Classics Hub (PC/Steam)

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by TimmiT, Apr 20, 2016.

1. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Only Sega or Valve potentially taking them down after they're uploaded. You can report mods on Steam Workshop, might work for stolen work as well.

2. Mors

Mors

Fangame Creator Member
    Turkey
    Super Mario Flashback
    This will sound stupid, but how do you guys open mods? I tried everything but nothing worked for me.

3. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    Well, that's Sonic 2 Recreation up: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=674737091

And if anyone keeps getting this "loc_tool_illegal_characters_desc" when uploading, even when they think they have no illegal characters, make sure your description does NOT end in a full stop. Otherwise, it seems this error will keep occurring (hopefully they'll fix that).

4. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    1. Subscribe to a mod in steam workshop. Pay attention to what game it's a mod of, and make sure you actually have that game. For some reason, people have been uploading mods without setting required DLC, which makes it unfortunately easy to download a mod for something you don't even have.
    2. In the hub (not the simple launcher), find the required base game. For the vast majority of proper current workshop content, that'll be Sonic 1. (and for a lot of the bootleg BS that'll probably be removed, it'll be Alex Kidd for some reason). Select that, choose mods, and then launch your game.

5. Mors

Mors

Fangame Creator Member
    Turkey
    Super Mario Flashback
    Thanks. I already got all mods I needed, but for some reason I can't launch them after opening the mods menu. I'm not sure if my game has a problem, or I'm doing something wrong.
    EDIT: Huh, somehow reinstalling the game fixed it. That was weird.

6. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Edit: Well the third time was a charm! Here's Ring the Ring if you want to give it a go. xD http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=674764255

7. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    People are uploading all sorts of prototypes and unrelated games, I hope they don't ruin this for everyone else.

Even hacks that add Mario or Kirby...come on, that's really pushing it.

8. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Hacks that add other copyrighted characters and such usually aren't really much of a problem on Steam Workshop, and if it's a problem that's what the DMCA takedown page is for. I could see Sega having a problem with prototypes or other games being uploaded though.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/SEGA_Europe/status/725827944606765056

9. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    I honestly don't think they'd have too much of an issue with prototypes, as long as they're uploaded as mods only for the games they're prototypes of. They've made no effort to stop the distribution of prototypes in the past.
    The unrelated games need to be mercilessly flagged.
    As far as people uploading other people's hacks goes, I think the only real solution is for all of the original creators to upload them themselves ASAP. Some of the people who've done it seem reasonable; they'll probably take them down.

10. Indigo Rush

Indigo Rush

So the answer to this is no, by the way. I can't access any of my DRM free Mega Drive games that I bought, yet they're available on the Simple Launcher along with my Steam purchases. Ugh. I really don't want to buy these again.

Would someone be willing to help me find a work-around for this? Copying the ROMs to the steamapps folder doesn't do anything.

11. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=674678495&tscn=1461899261
    [​IMG]
    Valve and SEGA need to crack down on this bullshit. Perhaps I have a good reason as to why I no longer partake in actively hacking these games any more. I can't stand these types of people.

12. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    I must be missing something, but: how do I upload something to the workshop?

13. LoneDevil

LoneDevil

Eternal Underdog Member
    You have to use Steam browser and go through Library -> Tools and download SEGA Genesis & Mega Drive Classics Workshop Tool to upload the .bin rom.

EDIT:
    Has anyone encounter this issue before? or is this exclusive to my awfully dated laptop.
    I've tried changing resolutions, and disabling all filters but same result. (nothing to do with the roms itself)
    [​IMG]

14. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS

The cute one here Tech Member
    Finland
    AMPS
    Emulator is shite. SonicMT crashes instantly after title screen.

15. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Again: you can report mods on Steam Workshop. Do so if you see someone uploading rom hacks by others.

16. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    S2 Dimps edition has just been nuked.

17. Shade Vortex

Shade Vortex

The Black Vortex Member
    USA, WA.
    YouTube Memes
    Well, not that anyone cares, but I uploaded my joke hacks, Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 Hold Right To Win Editions. They're ass hacks from a quality standpoint and they don't have much to them once the novelty of the joke wears off, but why not let people play them more conveniently? It literally takes no effort to upload them, so here you guys go.

18. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    Well, I was on the right track; what was failing was .NET 4.5, which forced me into my Win7 VM. Anyways, thanks.

Edit: Hm, Steam is not allowing me to set a dependency on Sonic 2. Will have to do without...

19. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    The problem with trying to report hacks that are being uploaded by people who aren't the hack authors is we only know people by their sonic community name(s). How are we supposed to report it if they are using a different name on steam? Heck, if someone uploads ninekos hack for him is someone gonna report that person for not letting nineko upload the hack himself even though he said he don't want to register to steam and then rebuy the game to upload mods for it? What if they are no longer part of the community also or were banned like Shinuboa? How are we gonna get their permission to upload hacks to steam then?

20. MartiusR

MartiusR

I was trying once upon a time to "mix" these MD games (based on the same launcher) from various sources (I remember that I have currently these on Steam, DotEmu, Amazon and even physical version on DVD (that's crazy, isnt' it?). But it seems that generally this mixing doesn't work. I've probably succeeded with mixing games from Amazon and DotEmu (by simply installing them in the same catalogue, then this "launcher" showed me additional games - probably because both are DRM-free versions and they're least troublesome to cooperate), but that's it. Simple copying roms, as you've notice (I've tried by myself too) doesn't work. I haven't tried earlier to install more games to catalogue with those MD games which I have on steam (by installing into catalogue in adequate steamapps/common folder), BUT I'm guessing that now it won't work, since the "basis" (launcher" is now completely different application). I can experiment though with all those versions I have (weekend is coming ,after all :)/>), just let me know, what should I do.