don't click here

Sonic Classic Heroes

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by flamewing, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Marcus101RR

Marcus101RR

Provisional Member
    USA, Florida
    http://leafosgaming.wixsite.com/leafos
    I have not been on in a while due to various other things going on. However, this still is the Best Rom Hack around, and it leaves it open to playing still Sonic 1 and 2 old style on top of the heroes style. I still can't wait for Sonic 3 to end up like this.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That's starting to look a bit Master System-ish, doesn't it?

Personally, I think it would be better if each team had its own palette, as if each one was its own independent "module" that doesn't share any assets with the others. That would yield the best-looking results and wouldn't collide with any future teams that may get added.

And speaking of "modules"...

Flamewing's comment about surpassing the 4MB limit, along with the quantity and diversity of the suggested and the already WIP teams, made me think that it may be a good idea to create a "builder" like the one in Sonic 3 Complete, which would add the desired teams only, leaving the plain ROM with just the regular Team Sonic.

Dunno about how feasible would such a thing be, but I think it would be really neat + - and would also keep both Classic and Modern Amy fans happy =P   .

3. If space is an issue, perhaps the Sega screen could be traded out with another such as the one in sonic CD? iirc the Sega voice clip takes up a lot of space

4. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    As long as Boom's Amy isn't there...

Flamewing, how are you doing with the size? I mean, how much does the average art file size, how much are you already using... maybe we can throw up some ideas for it'.

5. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    The whole idea of trading off space and visual quality for mix-and-match sounds like it would hurt future features, or even current ones, as we've seen with Super. Honestly, I'm surprised people are going this crazy for it.

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Have more faith
    [​IMG]
    I mean, don't have too much faith because it doesn't really work but it's not a completely lost cause.

7. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    Is it not possible to force the special stages to be 1-player only? I mean, having AI characters lose your rings is very stupid. If only Sega made Tails drop no rings when hit and only collected rings for Sonic...

8. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Choosing the number of characters in special stage is already a feature.

I believe that special stage characters also used to pallet lines instead of one so you have more to work with.

9. Brainulator

Brainulator

I meant making that the only option.

10. Miles3298

Miles3298

^ Why do you want to stomp out that feature? The AI losing rings will only ever be your own fault. My first completion of the special stages heavily involved using all 3 characters to gather extra rings I couldn't get solo. I'd personally rather not lose that leverage if possible. Also,
    It was said he could in fact force it to one player. I do quite like this compromise.

11. It's not like it'd be that weird to only have one character for the special stages, the sonic 1 special stages are already like that anyway.

12. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    Now that I am back home, I can test stuff; and both VAdaPEGA's and Black Squirrel's versions can be represented quite accurately using MD colors; accurately enough that I can't notice the difference.

Note that there are several ways of representing a MD color %bbb0ggg0rrr0:
    • SonMapEd style: RGB = %bbb00000ggg00000rrr00000;
    • S&KC style: RGB = %bbb0bbb0ggg0ggg0rrr0rrr0;
    • "Accurate" VDP conversion: for each color, go through the LUT:
      $0 ? $00
      $2 ? $34
      $4 ? $57
      $6 ? $74
      $8 ? $90
      $A ? $AC
      $C ? $CE
      $E ? $FF​
    The latter one is based on voltage measurements on the VDP output, and will depend on the display device.

Here is a slight edit with some more characters:
    [​IMG]

Special stage will come later. Tikal suffered the most, followed closely by Big then Eggman. The others look decent enough.

Edit: changed the image to one with better Eggman and Chaotix Knuckles.

Edit 2: changed image to one with better Cream.

13. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    Seeing those character Chao makes me wonder how nifty it would be if Cream had an ability that transformed your other teammates into Chao temporarily, essentially "storing" them for later use in the stage if she needs to tackle a situation solo.

14. flamewing

flamewing

France
    More stuff:
    [​IMG]

Edit: note: for several of those I have only the frame shown.

15. Brainulator

Brainulator

So, my thoughts:
    • Donald, Mickey, Ray, Mighty, Espio, Vector, Charmy, Rouge, Metal Knuckles, Tails Doll, Metal Sonic, Eggman, Mario, Kirby, and Link all need Chaos.
    • How will Mickey and Donald be implemented? On their Epic Mickey/Kingdom Hearts gameplay? I mean, they are cartoon characters. inb4 lawsuit
    • Are Classic and Modern Amy going to have the same gameplay or will they have minor differences? Also note Genesis Knuckles and Chaotix Knuckles.
    • When doing the Mickey sprites, you might as well ensure that his ears stay the same shape regardless of perspective.

16. flamewing

flamewing

France
    Indeed. Any volunteers? Also, note that those are all Cheese shapeshifted. And these are only one frame of the full set I will need.

Donald will have some Quackshot moves (plunger gun, slide); Mickey and Goofy (not shown because no sprite yet), no idea.

No idea if I want to use both Amys; if I end up doing that, they will likely be sprite swaps so you can pick whichever Amy you prefer.

Originally, the Chaotix Knuckles was a base for Wechnia, for Team Glitch. Then, JojHeywood suggested a "Knuckles' Chaotix" team using him with Vector and Charmy. Will probably just be a sprite swap of regular Knuckles.

I think Drex is doing Mickey like that already, yes.

17. RazoZen

RazoZen

Moscow
    So many characters. Too bad there won't be any S3&K levels to play them on.

18. Brainulator

Brainulator

Okay then.

Nice to see you here.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya I'm starting to think a customizer ala sonic 3 complete might be necessary, especially with alternate sprites for the same characters. So many characters

20. Brainulator

Brainulator

It's a matter of time before we see Team Pony, Team SpongeBob, and Team FNAF.

Actually, Team SpongeBob doesn't sound too bad since Gulf+Western (which is now Viacom or at least Paramount Pictures, pretty much) used to own Sega.